The Student Room Group

Why do people not respect the lockdown laws?

Why?

Scroll to see replies

British people in general are law abiding and respectful and the rule of law has survived for centuries.
Laws have been imposed to ensure people obey the Covid lockdown for very good reasons.

While most people obeyed the first lockdown this current lockdown is being ignored across society, not just by the usual yobs but by otherwise law abiding people.

I feel we are in grave danger of people losing respect for the rule of law in general. Like the broken windows philosophy. Small crimes lead to much bigger crimes.

We are seeing a huge number of Brits basically committing crime by ignoring these laws. Perhaps over 75% to 80% of us are now criminals.

The government needs to clamp down.
I think it's a combination of reasons - in a lot of places it's not really enforced, I live in a small town and you don't see a police officer for weeks. Also partly it not having a direct effect on certain people, they've not had loved ones get ill for example so don't see it as something that they need to worry about.
the rules keeping changing and are just becoming more confusing

"people who make the rules/rich people/influencers don't follow them so why should we bother" kinda mindset
Original post by stereotypeasian
the rules keeping changing and are just becoming more confusing

"people who make the rules/rich people/influencers don't follow them so why should we bother" kinda mindset

Agreed.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Why?

I think it's because people are selfish. Young people are fully aware they probably won't die from it which means they don't care. However, they can still pass it on to vulnerable people.
As they are very selfish
One rather wishes my subjects would respect my Government's guidelines.
Reply 8
Why?

1. it's been going on for too long
2. it doesn't do **** - eventually you'll have to leave your house anyway
Original post by Elizabeth II
One rather wishes my subjects would respect my Government's guidelines.

l agree with you mam can you let me have one of your whips so l can whip them into order
Original post by Scottishone999
As they are very selfish

Attitudes like this reinforce people’s lack of respect for restrictions.

Many people believe that the harms caused by the restrictions are greater than the harms of covid.

Many people do not like having their freedom and livelihoods being destroyed on an open-ended basis for what they do not perceive as a great risk. They also do not like being preached to.
Original post by Trinculo
Attitudes like this reinforce people’s lack of respect for restrictions.

Many people believe that the harms caused by the restrictions are greater than the harms of covid.

Many people do not like having their freedom and livelihoods being destroyed on an open-ended basis for what they do not perceive as a great risk. They also do not like being preached to.

it is a great risk more than 50.000 people have died so far in the uk
Reply 12
Its been almost a year in and out of lockdowns, social distancing, etc. People are struggling financially and mentally, many have just stopped caring about the risks all together. Which isnt the greatest mentality but to an extent its understandable..
People generally only respect laws where those who make the laws also follow them.
it is a great risk more than 50.000 people have died so far in the uk

Tell me how bankrupting the country, ruining the lives of countless people will change that.

Also tell me how many people you will sacrifice to the covid golden calf. How many people have to die of literally anything else, before you even question the wisdom of all this?

“Saving lives” was never ever supposed to be the intent of the lockdowns. Don’t you remember “flatten the curve”? We did that. Now here we are- still locked in houses and muzzled like animals with an economy in ruins.

For what?
Original post by Trinculo
Tell me how bankrupting the country, ruining the lives of countless people will change that.

Also tell me how many people you will sacrifice to the covid golden calf. How many people have to die of literally anything else, before you even question the wisdom of all this?

“Saving lives” was never ever supposed to be the intent of the lockdowns. Don’t you remember “flatten the curve”? We did that. Now here we are- still locked in houses and muzzled like animals with an economy in ruins.

For what?

Well we have to play our part
Well we have to play our part

In what? The most utterly pointless and economically catastrophic exercise in human history?

answer me a simple question - knowing what you know now, would you have released the first lockdown back in June and let the shops, pubs and restaurants reopen (albeit for a few months)?
why should they respect the lock down?

We are governed by consent from the people and its the job of those in charge to justify why we should consent to the rules. When the rules make sense and are justifiable, people on mass follow them and its perfectly fine to force the small minority who don't into line.

The reason why many people do not respect the lock-down (they are still a minority at the moment though) is because the government has done a very poor job in justifying it. That's not to say the concept of lockdowns don't work or we should just do nothing, but it is abundantly clear to most people that this second lockdown is an absolute mess. If we wanted to do a short-sharp circuit breaker it should have come earlier (Labour are 100% right here) and if we want to do a very gradual half-lockdown as we are now, with many things still open, then its going to take much longer than 4 weeks.

The idea that you could wait until there were 20k cases per day, then lockdown casually for 4 weeks.. expect the numbers to drop by enough to then re-open in the middle of winter just before the largest social-gathering activity of the year? It was madness and quite rightly a hell of a lot of people didn't agree with it.

Out of those people, the majority still follow the rules because they see that as their duty as a good citizen, but they are doing so despite not beleving in them, which is a dangerous place to be.

Its up to the goverment to justify these rules to us, and they did that reasoanbly well back in the spring, and the public reception was pretty good. They have been awful when it comes to the second lockdown though, and all many people can say now is - thank god a vaccine looks iminent because without one, our leadership has no ability what so ever to manage this situation.
What laws are being broken? The problem is the rules are so unclear.
Reply 19
Why?

They are ***** who think the rules don't apply to them.
'Twas always thus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending