The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes - 2021 entry?

Hi,

So, basically, I've just had a really bad experience at uni this year and have ended up dropping out and taking a year out.

I'm looking into where to go next year and I'm trying to stick fairly local (somewhat difficult because the closest universities to me are at least an hours drive away). One place I've been looking at is Oxford Brookes for Media, Journalism and Publishing.

I'd like to ask anyone who is at/has been to Oxford Brookes:

What are the wellbeing/mental health services there like?

How supportive are lecturers? How much work is wholly independent or based on self-research?

Is there support for people who struggle with self-research?

What is the uni life there like? I'm a quiet/anxious and sober person so I'm trying to avoid somewhere that's overly party-like.

If there's anything else of note that people feel would be useful to me as well as answers to these questions, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.
Original post by userhep
Hi,

So, basically, I've just had a really bad experience at uni this year and have ended up dropping out and taking a year out.

I'm looking into where to go next year and I'm trying to stick fairly local (somewhat difficult because the closest universities to me are at least an hours drive away). One place I've been looking at is Oxford Brookes for Media, Journalism and Publishing.

I'd like to ask anyone who is at/has been to Oxford Brookes:

How supportive are lecturers? How much work is wholly independent or based on self-research?

Is there support for people who struggle with self-research?

What is the uni life there like? I'm a quiet/anxious and sober person so I'm trying to avoid somewhere that's overly party-like.

If there's anything else of note that people feel would be useful to me as well as answers to these questions, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

Hey @userhep, :smile:

I hope you’re doing well.

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad university experience so far, but it’s great to know that you’re taking some time off because it would benefit you in the long term. We’re so glad to know that you’re considering Oxford Brookes for your studies! :smile:

I’m a final year Biomedical Science student and I’ve had really good experiences at Brookes in the last two years. I personally haven’t used the Wellbeing service but have heard positive reviews from students who have used the services. The staff offer 1-2-1 counselling sessions which are confidential and the students mental health and wellbeing while at university is their top priority. You can find out more about the Wellbeing team and the services they offer in this link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/.

The academic staff offer invaluable support in regards to the lectures and courseworks. Every student has a personal tutor called as ‘Academic Advisor’ who would help you throughout your time at Brookes and you can always contact them via email and arrange meetings to talk about any difficulty you face in terms of studies or other issues. You will be required to do extra reading on topics you’re taught in lectures and sometimes they do provide the resources for extra reading.

We have a dedicated team of staff who help in upgrading your study skills by offering workshops on academic writing. The library staff also provides great support in terms of research. You can find out more about the centre for academic development here.

We have over 100 student societies here at Brookes where there are activities for everyone which doesn’t include partying. Please check out this link to know more about Brookes Union.

I hope the information has helped you to know more about Oxford Brookes. Please do feel free to ask any other questions you may have and we would be happy to help!

We look forward to to seeing you at Brookes and all the best with your future. :smile:

Good luck,
Ash
(edited 3 years ago)
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
I’ve just received my offer for media, publishing and journalism for Brookes 2021!! Hope to see you there 🥰
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just received my offer for media, publishing and journalism for Brookes 2021!! Hope to see you there 🥰

Hello,

Hope you are doing well!! Congratulations on your offer!! We are so excited for you to be joining us at Oxford Brookes!! :smile:

If you have any questions about the university or about student life, then please do feel free to ask! We would be more than happy to help! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Reply 4
Applied for business and management, anyone else? How quickly have offer been coming through?
Original post by Aldersv
Applied for business and management, anyone else? How quickly have offer been coming through?

Hello @Aldersv,

Hope you are doing well!! We are so excited to hear that you have applied to Oxford Brookes University! :smile:

I am a current student at the university, if you have any questions about student life or the university, please do feel free to ask! I would be more than happy to help! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Original post by Aldersv

Ireceived an unconditional offer for this course at Brookes a couple weeks ago. But I applied in September so it took just over 2 months for a response. I expect you will have a response within a few weeks since they have started their 2021 application cycle. Good Luck!
Reply 7
@Aldersv I also applied to do business and management at oxford brookes :smile:) I received my offer 2 weeks ago and i think is my first choice :smile:)
Original post by em12344
@Aldersv I also applied to do business and management at oxford brookes :smile:) I received my offer 2 weeks ago and i think is my first choice :smile:)

Hello @em12344,

Hope you are doing well!! Congratulations on receiving your offer!! :smile:

I am a current student at the university, studying law. If you have any questions about student life or the University, please do feel free to ask! I would be more than happy to help!! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Original post by em12344

That’s the course I’m doing! I got my offer in November and accepted it 🥰
Reply 10
I haven’t yet accepted it because i haven’t received all my offers yet but it’s most likely my first choice :smile:)
Reply 11
DM me we should talk
Original post by userhep

This article may be of interest.

https://thetab.com/uk/brookes/2021/02/09/i-was-told-to-stop-being-dramatic-brookes-students-experiences-with-uni-wellbeing-26357

Original post by Oxford Brookes University

I personally haven’t used the Wellbeing service but have heard positive reviews from students who have used the services.

This Oxford Brookes account really should be banned from the forum. People are asking serious important questions and all that ever comes from this account are glib responses about how positive everything is.
(edited 3 years ago)
[ltr]Hi[/ltr]
I have so many questions, I got an offer to study business and management at Brookes.
Reply 14
Original post by Maryam1113
[ltr]Hi[/ltr]
I have so many questions, I got an offer to study business and management at Brookes.

Hi @maryam1113
What questions do you have? I may be able to answer or point you in the right direction.
Bekki
3rd Year Student Ambassador
Oxford Brookes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending