The Student Room Group

Cambridge HSPS Applicants 2021

Hi everyone!

I saw there are multiple threads that are full of good discussion, and wanted to make one of this year's applicants! It's so useful to have a space to ask questions, give tips, and support each other through tough times.

I'm adapting the info questions from previous threads:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you predicted?
2)GCSE Grades?
3)Why HSPS?
4)Which college(s) are you looking at?
5)Besides Cambridge, what other universities are you thinking of applying?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days or masterclasses for Cambridge?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daiana_Ash
Hi everyone!

I saw there are multiple threads that are full of good discussion, and wanted to make one of this year's applicants! It's so useful to have a space to ask questions, give tips, and support each other through tough times.

2)GCSE Grades?
3)Why HSPS?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?

Hey! Just saw this.

1) History, Economics, Sociology (A*AA)
2) 7A*, one B
3) Love learning about Politics and IR, interdisciplinary and flexible enough to explore other social sciences, can see the overlap of all the theories
4) Selwyn most likely
5) UCL, Edinburgh, LSE, maybe bath/warwick
6) No
7) Very into Model UN, have attended meetings with UN personnel/secretariat in NYC at their Headquarters, set up ECA for kids on the UN SDGs, read a lot on Cold War, and culture specifically

Wishing everyone good luck with their applications, would love to get to know anyone else thats applying for hsps to definitely feel free to private message me :smile:
Hello ! I am applying for HSPS this year.
1) German, history, English Lang-lit (and welsh bacc but I hardly feel like that counts) Think 3 A* prediction but not altogether sure (no clue what the prediction is for welsh bacc)
2 ) 12A* 2A
3 ) love learning about politics, especially politics of corruption/extremism. Also love sociology of justice/feminism and love a good debate!!
4 ) I’ve applied for Emma
5 ) I’ve applied to Durham, Bristol, KCL and Manchester and I really like all of them!!
6 ) not really, but I did meet the director of music for Emma (he was very nice)
7 ) I went to Auschwitz with LFA, got into Harvard summer school but it didn’t happen (very sad times) so I did an Oxford online summer school instead. Spoke to Welsh government about policy. Deputy head girl, went to Peru on a childcare/community project. reading a lot (some Chomsky, lots of short books just so I can get as much knowledge in as possible) , keeping up with the news as much as possible, just consuming as much relevant media as possible really so if I get an interview (fingers crossed) I will be fairly prepared!

Would love to chat to any other applicants ! I am #terrified and don’t think I will get past interview if I get one but I thought it was worth a try anyway.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey guys, I'm Susie and I'm from Wales :smile:
1) I take Geography, Sociology, and Biology and am predicted 3A*
2) I got 11A* at GCSEs
3) I'm really interested in politics, social (and Biological) anthropology and sociology and happily spend hours reading and watching documentaries on the subjects. Ultimately though, my passion is addressing climate degradation and the inequality that is prevalent in the world. My dream is to work in sustainable development and I believe it is essential to understand culture, and how it arose in order to best select the political frameworks that'll aid the prevention of the cataclysmic effects of climate change. Haha sorry, ramble over.
4) Applied for Girton
5) I've applied for courses centred around sustainable development at Edinburgh, Manchester, Warwick, and Birmingham.
6) I did a virtual open day and recently went on a day trip to Cambridge to look around but I haven't attended an official in-person open day.
7) - I coordinate Youth Climate strikes in my area and partake in a lot of activism

- I'm on two youth panels
- I do debating and public speaking
- I'm an avid reader so read on average one academic book a week I'd say - and I love a good documentary

Do any of you have a specific career in mind - I'd love to hear what everyone wants to do!

Also, I just want to say good luck to everyone!
Ibz mo on youtube video
Hi! I'm applying for HSPS 2021 entry.

1) Economics, Religious Studies, English Literature (A*AA)
2) 888777777. Not great but I guess not bad either?
3) I really love politics, I spend a lot of time reading political books. Never studied sociology/anthropology before but after reading 'Sapiens' (which I strongly recommend) they also seem like very interesting subjects - so I thought HSPS was perfect for me.
4) Gonville & Caius probably
5) Besides Cambridge I've put Exeter, Leeds, Sheffield and Lancaster (all for PPE)
6) No. I've visited the uni a few times and did the virtual open day but that's it.
7) Well I've sent off my application so guess I'm just working on interview stuff (hopefully I'll get one lol) - been reading a lot of Owen Jones recently. Did work experience with my aunt who's a Greek MP working in Brussels European Parliament which should help.
Hi everyone!

2)GCSE Grades?
3)Why HSPS?

1.) I do IB so: English Lit. (HL), Economics (HL), Philosophy (HL), Maths Analysis (SL), Spanish (SL), Physics (SL) (7 7 7 7 7 6)

2.) 3x 9s, 8x 8s

3.) I want to learn more about the real-world effects of political theory and its effects on society (very general summary)

4.) Applied to St John's

5.) Durham, St Andrew's, Nottingham, KCL

6.) If the online open days count

7.) Frantz Fanon, Simone de Beauvoir and other readings to do with political philosophy. I volunteer at local primary schools and have done working experience in Lagos, Nigeria and shadowed a QC in London at the High Court of Justice. Watched a couple documentaries aswell and just keeping up with current affairs. Also did essay competition on equality and liberty and a council member of my school's ACS and help to mentor younger students and helped to create a cultural campaign within school to celebrate BHM (again, a general summary).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey people!

1) I did my Spanish A-Level in year 12 and got an A* (although naturally, I didn't do the exams because of a little something called Covid-19).
I do French (predicted A), Government and Politics (predicted A*) and History (predicted A*).

2) Five grade 9s / six grade 8s / an A* (I did Spanish in year 9) / an A (I did Italian in year 10).

3) I think the best way to learn about any issue (and how to solve it) in society is to look at it from as many angles as possible, hence HSPS. I personally love international relations, but I did sociology for GCSE and really enjoyed it too.

4) I've applied for Gonville and Caius, although I was also impressed with Selwyn and Lucy Cavendish College.

5) I've also applied for St Andrews for international relations (personally my top choice with Cambridge), King's for history and international relations, and Bristol for politics and international relations. I haven't chosen a fifth choice yet...

6) The virtual open day(s) but nothing else!

7) At the moment I am reading some of Joseph Schumpeter's works (really interesting economist, although I don't understand much about economics generally). I took part in three essay competitions during lockdown - didn't win any of them, but it taught me a hell of a lot about how to write, research and plan. I do a little bit of debating, although I did more judging of debates in year 12 than I did partake in them. I'm mainly just trying not to panic about the online interview(s). I would've been fine if it were happening in person, but the fact that it is online, for me at least, makes it more anxiety-inducing.

Daniel CSJ.
Hey! I've only just seen this. My name is Emily and I'm from Wales:smile:

1) At AS I took English lit, Sociology, Gov and Politics and Geography and got 4 As. Now I've dropped Geography and I'm predicted 2A*s and an A
2) At GCSE I got 8 A*s and 5 As
3) I am really interested in international relations and politics and specifically how that can be related to different cultures and its links to anthropology. Couldn't really decide on a single subject so thought HSPS was the best bet
4) I've applied to Christ's but also considered Clare for a while too
5) I've also applied to Durham (classic Oxbridge reject i know lol), Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol
6) I attended the virtual open days but I have never visited the city or uni in person (eek)
7) I entered the RA Butler essay prize which I received a special commendation for but other than that just reading and watching documentaries

I am terrified tbh but as long as I get an interview I will be happy. At least then I know I will have given it a good shot
Hello, my name is Zoë Skipper Reed. I feel very nervous for the interview process (hoping I get one!) It’s so exciting to hear about everyone’s passions, wishing good luck to everyone
Hello, my name is Zoë Skipper Reed. I feel very nervous for the interview process (hoping I get one!) It’s so exciting to hear about everyone’s passions, wishing good luck to everyone & would be so happy to talk via personal message :smile:

1. I’m studying Geography, Economics, and English Literature with an EPQ (on the relevance of the UN) and I’m predicted A* in all
2. I received 99988777776
3. I love the interdisciplinary nature of HSPS which means that you can understand issues from so many different global perspectives, which I think is so important to therefore resolving issues. I have a particular interest for climate action as a means of social justice, and want to gain a greater intersectional understanding of the ideas shaping our world, and solutions to specific issues such as conflict and refugee crises, and most of all how we alleviate poverty while protecting the environment.
4. Clare college - good ratio for state schools, the community seems so friendly and there are also great extracurriculars such as the Amnesty international group.
5. Durham (of course! For combined social sciences), Edinburgh, Exeter, and Bath. I am considering St Andrews because the sustainable development modules seem so interesting!
6. I only looked around the city to see the colleges, but most of my research had been through the talking politics podcast to get a better idea of the lecture style
Interview prep so far...
-re-reading books from my personal statement (poor economics, women race & class, the handmaids tale, doughnut economics, the end of poverty)
-keeping up to date with current affairs through podcasts and radio (Mostly radio 4 today)
-researching counter arguments to my ideas & doing practice essays

I am a passionate activist for the environment and have engaged with my council on sustainability policy. Volunteering with the charities WWF & Right to play uk, engaging with higher education through lectures and online courses (Future learn is amazing!). I am headgirl and have fundraised for UNHCR, and I have been a part of essay competitions etc.

I would like to work for a global organisation like the UN in the future, potentially in diplomacy however I’m very open to different pathways and especially in journalism, academia, and think tanks/research. Definitely a field dedicated to sustainable development.
1) Politics (A), Biology (A), Maths (A*)
2)99999988877A
3) I have always been extremely interested in sociology and how society functions and I feel as though politics and sociology are so intertwined and it is imperative to study both together
4) Emmanuel College
5) Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, UCL
6) I went on a school trip to Homerton College
7) I did a MOOC on feminism and social justice, went to an investIN programme, read 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race', did work experience at TRT World

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten an interview yet?
Original post by mikdewji
1) Politics (A), Biology (A), Maths (A*)
2)99999988877A
3) I have always been extremely interested in sociology and how society functions and I feel as though politics and sociology are so intertwined and it is imperative to study both together
4) Emmanuel College
5) Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, UCL
6) I went on a school trip to Homerton College
7) I did a MOOC on feminism and social justice, went to an investIN programme, read 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race', did work experience at TRT World

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten an interview yet?

Hey! Good luck with your application :smile: I got an interview invite a few days ago at Selwyn x
Reply 13
Hi everyone!

2)GCSE Grades?
3)Why HSPS?

Hi, I received an interview from Trinity for HSPS
1) Maths, German, Econ, Politics (A*, A*,A, A)
2) Didn't take GCSE - came from an Italian school system and moved here for sixth form
3) I just love the idea of study such a interdisciplinary degree, as I have not fully decided what I'd like to do in the future
4) trinity
5) LSE/UCL/Warwick/Kings
6) non
7) mostly interview prep
- re-reading books I put on my personal statement (Doughnut economics/ crashed/ Factfulness/ the Tiger that isn't)
- https://www.cambridgeinterviewquestions.com/questions/arts/human-social-and-political-sciences/ ( trying to answer questions from this page)
-and just generally loads of reading
-listening to podcasts (talking politics/ the intelligence/ the economist..)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AbdallaOsama
Hey! Good luck with your application :smile: I got an interview invite a few days ago at Selwyn x

Thank you so much!!! I'm so pleased for you,,,, I hope it all goes well :smile: x
How many interviews have people got? I’ve got one at Pembroke, but was expecting two (one subject interview and then another general one)?
I haven’t gotten one (I applied to Emmanuel college) and it’s lowkey freaking me out that they haven’t sent anything yet
I haven’t gotten one (I applied to Emmanuel college) and it’s lowkey freaking me out that they haven’t sent anything yet

Same but for Clare haha

I also applied to Emmanuel and haven't heard anything but I keep telling myself no news is good news!! Good luck, I hope we both hear soon x
Original post by zakburridge
Same but for Clare haha

hopefully, we will hear back soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending