The Student Room Group

English lang paper 1 4th nov

What did people write for question 2? I really need help on this how does the writer use language to describe zoe's feelings (lines 9-14)
Heres the insert
https://www.uptonhigh.co.uk/attachments/download.asp?file=2210&type=pdf
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hi what year is this from cause i have my mocks this week so would this come up?
Reply 2
Original post by username2005
hi what year is this from cause i have my mocks this week so would this come up?

This is the 2019 paper and same even i do!
Original post by Unknownx444
This is the 2019 paper and same even i do

omg can u tell me what its about and any other papers u have done for diff subjects!!! i would be so grateful .. i just wanna be a bit more prepared
Reply 4
You could mention the natural elements and pathetic fallacy of ice to display her fear and how life stopped for her in this moment of skiing- she probably fears this sport and the fact it's snowing emphasises how bad this idea could be in the future.
The mention of death- you could say that she knows that something might happen to her in this trip as it is a 'pre-echo'. The prefix showing the foreshadow. 'Red'- connotations of blood and injury. 'Silence'- not normal even though she is with her husband, the silence before the storm in a way, she feels something bad is going to happen.
Bird imagery of eagle- predator, tend to attack, feels like the pressure of this trip is making her see everything bad.
Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by Samira Miah
You could mention the natural elements and pathetic fallacy of ice to display her fear and how life stopped for her in this moment of skiing- she probably fears this sport and the fact it's snowing emphasises how bad this idea could be in the future.
The mention of death- you could say that she knows that something might happen to her in this trip as it is a 'pre-echo'. The prefix showing the foreshadow. 'Red'- connotations of blood and injury. 'Silence'- not normal even though she is with her husband, the silence before the storm in a way, she feels something bad is going to happen.
Bird imagery of eagle- predator, tend to attack, feels like the pressure of this trip is making her see everything bad.
Hope that helps! :smile:

aaaa thankyouuu , ill read over the source first . but also would i be able to find this paper online anywhere for the other questions?
Reply 6
aaaa thankyouuu , ill read over the source first . but also would i be able to find this paper online anywhere for the other questions?

Whoops my mistake, after Googling for half an hour, I found it...I posted it on your other question, enjoy! :smile:
Whoops my mistake, after Googling for half an hour, I found it...I posted it on your other question, enjoy!

sorry ( to bother you againnn) i cant seem to find it ? could u just message me on here with it
Reply 8
sorry ( to bother you againnn) i cant seem to find it ? could u just message me on here with it

https://www.oasisacademylordshill.org/uploaded/lords_hill/curriculum/home_learning/easter_projects/yr11_english_easter.pdf
There you go, page 68 out of 101 (I think!) There's a lot of other papers as well :smile:
Reply 9
I hope the above helped- do you want me to write it in an essay for you?

OMG ur literally a life saver! Can you on question 4 please (if you dont mind ofc)😭
https://www.oasisacademylordshill.org/uploaded/lords_hill/curriculum/home_learning/easter_projects/yr11_english_easter.pdf
There you go, page 68 out of 101 (I think!) There's a lot of other papers as well :smile:

omg i love you!!! thankyou so muchhhh
Reply 11
omg i love you!!! thankyou so muchhhh

You're welcome!!
Reply 12
OMG ur literally a life saver! Can you on question 4 please (if you dont mind ofc)😭

Hope this is good enough! :-
I agree with the statement that Zoe is so slow to react to the warning signs of this dangerous situation. It is quite peculiar that the writer makes the first line begins with the conjunction ‘But’ which alludes a contrast going to occur that will juxtapose the ‘beauty’ of the surrounding landscape. Due to this, I see it can be quite understandable that she had a slow reaction to the warning signs of the avalanche even though ‘small slabs of snow slip from beneath her’. The fact that she fails to realise that amplifies the danger that is going to afflict her. In reality, people would acknowledge their surroundings in a scenario like this so this outlines her vulnerability.

In addition to this ‘the grey smoke unfurling in silky banners’ was also a noticeable warning of the natural disaster which was to come yet she failed to notice it which is why I agree that it is unbelievable that she didn’t react to the sign. Specifically, the writer using the premodifier ‘silky’ shows how Zoe sees it so fascinating comparing it to fabric materials (which in the normal lifestyle interest many women), to the extent the short sentence ‘It was beautiful’ was mentioned, exemplifying how she was mesmerised by the atmosphere that she unknowingly describes the symptoms of the avalanche as ‘beautiful’. Her naive nature in this hazardous situation makes it almost unbelievable that she was so slow in her reaction.

The writer creates scenario to be very dangerous through the choice of imagery- the simile ‘like a tsunami at sea’ implies the intensity of the snow ‘unfurling’ towards Zoe and Jake that could potentially take her life in a ‘rib-cracking fall’ with its ‘great mass’ and huge pressure. Furthermore, it takes Jake, who acts as a catalyst for the climax, to make her realise the high threat and how much danger they are really in. If Jake hadn’t intervened at that moment and tried to call her, the plot would have been slow just like her slow reaction in regards to the avalanche proceeding towards them. The asyndetic list of dynamic verbs ‘twisting, spinning, turning’ reinforces the semantic field of threats and actions, the fact that it is in present tense adding urgency into the text and the repetition of the suffix ‘-ing’ adds a rhythm, possibly reflecting her heart after accounting the coming disaster. In this way, after her slow reaction we also too experience Zoe’s loss of control when the overpowering avalanche attacked her, leaving ‘silence’ and ‘then to black.’
Original post by samira miah
hope this is good enough! :-
i agree with the statement that zoe is so slow to react to the warning signs of this dangerous situation. It is quite peculiar that the writer makes the first line begins with the conjunction ‘but’ which alludes a contrast going to occur that will juxtapose the ‘beauty’ of the surrounding landscape. Due to this, i see it can be quite understandable that she had a slow reaction to the warning signs of the avalanche even though ‘small slabs of snow slip from beneath her’. The fact that she fails to realise that amplifies the danger that is going to afflict her. In reality, people would acknowledge their surroundings in a scenario like this so this outlines her vulnerability.

In addition to this ‘the grey smoke unfurling in silky banners’ was also a noticeable warning of the natural disaster which was to come yet she failed to notice it which is why i agree that it is unbelievable that she didn’t react to the sign. Specifically, the writer using the premodifier ‘silky’ shows how zoe sees it so fascinating comparing it to fabric materials (which in the normal lifestyle interest many women), to the extent the short sentence ‘it was beautiful’ was mentioned, exemplifying how she was mesmerised by the atmosphere that she unknowingly describes the symptoms of the avalanche as ‘beautiful’. Her naive nature in this hazardous situation makes it almost unbelievable that she was so slow in her reaction.

The writer creates scenario to be very dangerous through the choice of imagery- the simile ‘like a tsunami at sea’ implies the intensity of the snow ‘unfurling’ towards zoe and jake that could potentially take her life in a ‘rib-cracking fall’ with its ‘great mass’ and huge pressure. Furthermore, it takes jake, who acts as a catalyst for the climax, to make her realise the high threat and how much danger they are really in. If jake hadn’t intervened at that moment and tried to call her, the plot would have been slow just like her slow reaction in regards to the avalanche proceeding towards them. The asyndetic list of dynamic verbs ‘twisting, spinning, turning’ reinforces the semantic field of threats and actions, the fact that it is in present tense adding urgency into the text and the repetition of the suffix ‘-ing’ adds a rhythm, possibly reflecting her heart after accounting the coming disaster. In this way, after her slow reaction we also too experience zoe’s loss of control when the overpowering avalanche attacked her, leaving ‘silence’ and ‘then to black.’

omgg thankyou smm😭❤️!!
Reply 14
Awwwww nppp! :smile: <3
Reply 15
omgg thankyou smm😭❤️!!

Omg npppp! :smile:<3
I hope the above helped- do you want me to write it in an essay for you?

Heyyy is it okay if you can write a paragraph or 2 for question 2 im really stuck, thank u :biggrin:
Hope this is good enough! :-
I agree with the statement that Zoe is so slow to react to the warning signs of this dangerous situation. It is quite peculiar that the writer makes the first line begins with the conjunction ‘But’ which alludes a contrast going to occur that will juxtapose the ‘beauty’ of the surrounding landscape. Due to this, I see it can be quite understandable that she had a slow reaction to the warning signs of the avalanche even though ‘small slabs of snow slip from beneath her’. The fact that she fails to realise that amplifies the danger that is going to afflict her. In reality, people would acknowledge their surroundings in a scenario like this so this outlines her vulnerability.

In addition to this ‘the grey smoke unfurling in silky banners’ was also a noticeable warning of the natural disaster which was to come yet she failed to notice it which is why I agree that it is unbelievable that she didn’t react to the sign. Specifically, the writer using the premodifier ‘silky’ shows how Zoe sees it so fascinating comparing it to fabric materials (which in the normal lifestyle interest many women), to the extent the short sentence ‘It was beautiful’ was mentioned, exemplifying how she was mesmerised by the atmosphere that she unknowingly describes the symptoms of the avalanche as ‘beautiful’. Her naive nature in this hazardous situation makes it almost unbelievable that she was so slow in her reaction.

The writer creates scenario to be very dangerous through the choice of imagery- the simile ‘like a tsunami at sea’ implies the intensity of the snow ‘unfurling’ towards Zoe and Jake that could potentially take her life in a ‘rib-cracking fall’ with its ‘great mass’ and huge pressure. Furthermore, it takes Jake, who acts as a catalyst for the climax, to make her realise the high threat and how much danger they are really in. If Jake hadn’t intervened at that moment and tried to call her, the plot would have been slow just like her slow reaction in regards to the avalanche proceeding towards them. The asyndetic list of dynamic verbs ‘twisting, spinning, turning’ reinforces the semantic field of threats and actions, the fact that it is in present tense adding urgency into the text and the repetition of the suffix ‘-ing’ adds a rhythm, possibly reflecting her heart after accounting the coming disaster. In this way, after her slow reaction we also too experience Zoe’s loss of control when the overpowering avalanche attacked her, leaving ‘silence’ and ‘then to black.’

Whoever you are, i love you.
Reply 18
Original post by _ollie_.k_
Whoever you are, i love you.

Ahaha it's nothing really! :smile:
Original post by tiablakexxx
i could get u the 2019 maths do u have any 2020

maths 2019 are all on youtube

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending