The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Manchester

Hi,
I’ve had offers from Lancaster & Manchester university to study English Literature. But, I have no clue which to put as my firm! I think I prefer Lancaster’s accommodation, campus & general vibe, plus I have applied for a placement year. However, Manchester is a Russell Group University and is generally more well-known than Lancaster.
Will employers care about the university I attend, or more-so my work experience & grade?
Reply 1
I’m in the same boat as you right now I’m torn between Liverpool and Durham. Durham is more prestigious and better for English Literature, but I found that Liverpool has better accommodation and modules. The truth is, I do think prestige matters with degrees like English Literature because it’s one of those subjects. However, I’d really advise checking out the individual modules. You’re going to be there for three years, so make sure you like what’s available. I know medieval literature is a required unit at Manchester, which turned me off immediately. Some Russell Groups aren’t that progressive in terms of what they offer for literature. If you really love classics and very obscure texts that’s fine (I don’t mind it but three years of it might make me loathe the subject more than I love it!) but compare the modules for both and figure out which would interest you.

Of course way up everything else, but I’m sure employers would account for far more than the establishment name on your degree. If you’re a better candidate and answer interview questions in a more desirable manner, being a ‘Russell Group’ will be of little priority. Russell Group unis are really just research intensive at the end of the day and it’s only a label - prioritise your own preferences over what you think would look better.
Reply 2
Original post by meg_2002
I’m in the same boat as you right now I’m torn between Liverpool and Durham. Durham is more prestigious and better for English Literature, but I found that Liverpool has better accommodation and modules. The truth is, I do think prestige matters with degrees like English Literature because it’s one of those subjects. However, I’d really advise checking out the individual modules. You’re going to be there for three years, so make sure you like what’s available. I know medieval literature is a required unit at Manchester, which turned me off immediately. Some Russell Groups aren’t that progressive in terms of what they offer for literature. If you really love classics and very obscure texts that’s fine (I don’t mind it but three years of it might make me loathe the subject more than I love it!) but compare the modules for both and figure out which would interest you.

Of course way up everything else, but I’m sure employers would account for far more than the establishment name on your degree. If you’re a better candidate and answer interview questions in a more desirable manner, being a ‘Russell Group’ will be of little priority. Russell Group unis are really just research intensive at the end of the day and it’s only a label - prioritise your own preferences over what you think would look better.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!
I’m wondering if perhaps having working experience will increase the desirability of my application. I’m looking to work in film production, and I know that they don’t require a university degree - they prefer that people to have knowledge and experience of the tv industry.
For me, Manchester is so large (40,000 pupils!) I worry that I’ll be lost in there. Whereas in Lancaster, it is a lot smaller and perhaps more close-knit.
Reply 3
Original post by Sophiebxx
Thank you for taking the time to reply!
I’m wondering if perhaps having working experience will increase the desirability of my application. I’m looking to work in film production, and I know that they don’t require a university degree - they prefer that people to have knowledge and experience of the tv industry.
For me, Manchester is so large (40,000 pupils!) I worry that I’ll be lost in there. Whereas in Lancaster, it is a lot smaller and perhaps more close-knit.

Experience will be 100% more valuable in that case. Manchester has Media City nearby, so that could be useful, but either way I’d say make sure to get involved whether you end up in the newspaper/radio/student productions etc. They’d value someone with media knowledge over a degree from somewhere prestigious.
It really depends. comparing the two is a bit of an apples and oranges scenario. Lancaster is smaller and more of a community feel to it with the colleges, and the city is not a big one. Manchester is a good uni, but hasnt done itself much favours in the press recently when it comes to student welfare. But then it had media city. My friend is at Machester Met doing theatre studies in her final year, and she likes the busy that Manchester offers.

You could make a weekend of it and visit. Manchester and Lancaster are about an hour apart off the M6 motorway. If Lancaster is in a tier 2 (its got really low covid cases at the moment so fingers crossed), you can book a hotel there (we stayed at the travelodge) and walked round the city and the shops, stay over night and then go on to Manchester the following day. Then you have a general vibe of them both :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ghostlady
It really depends. comparing the two is a bit of an apples and oranges scenario. Lancaster is smaller and more of a community feel to it with the colleges, and the city is not a big one. Manchester is a good uni, but hasnt done itself much favours in the press recently when it comes to student welfare. But then it had media city. My friend is at Machester Met doing theatre studies in her final year, and she likes the busy that Manchester offers.

You could make a weekend of it and visit. Manchester and Lancaster are about an hour apart off the M6 motorway. If Lancaster is in a tier 2 (its got really low covid cases at the moment so fingers crossed), you can book a hotel there (we stayed at the travelodge) and walked round the city and the shops, stay over night and then go on to Manchester the following day. Then you have a general vibe of them both :smile:

Thank you!! Yes, I was thinking of visiting both during the Christmas holidays. Hopefully I’ll be able to :smile:
Original post by Sophiebxx
Thank you!! Yes, I was thinking of visiting both during the Christmas holidays. Hopefully I’ll be able to :smile:

Thought this was an interesting read.
https://thetab.com/uk/lancaster/2020/11/24/what-i-wish-i-knew-about-lancs-that-the-prospectus-didnt-mention-22423 The tab is a student run website. its got gossip, strikes, celebs, uni socials, handy tit bits of info.
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostlady
Thought this was an interesting read.
https://thetab.com/uk/lancaster/2020/11/24/what-i-wish-i-knew-about-lancs-that-the-prospectus-didnt-mention-22423 The tab is a student run website. its got gossip, strikes, celebs, uni socials, handy tit bits of info.

Amazing, thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending