The Student Room Group

Advice for learning vocab?

IK bit of a stupid question but I'm just wondering does anyone have any advice? I'm using quizlet atm but it's not helping much
Hello

When my sister did GCSE French, she used flashcards. She also sketched out mind maps of topics that she was required to study as well. Then she would write up her essays and edit them. Also she tackled old exam questions from time to time too to challenge her. You can buy a set of flashcards from a local high street bookshop. Another important thing to consider is the colour coding technique.
It is very useful especially when revising big chunks of information at once. There are loads of revision guides that are out there on the market to purchase. Try looking online for starters. You can even type up and then print off a list of recommended books. Also watch some old black and white documentaries and movies in Spanish. You will learn the language faster that way. The custom made revision guides can be helpful. Make brief notes on top of that you will definitely require them.
Good luck to you. You can aim to translate a few different articles in Spanish to English as a spare time hobby. And you can design or create funny colourful cartoons in Spanish on your laptop using Word in addition. This is another interesting unique way to try and learn the language. Try it for a while and see what happens. When you are reading Spanish literature like classic plays and poems record your impressions on pieces of paper and form your own unique impressions based on them. Engage in discussion. Reflect on what you happen to read. Identify themes that are present. Draw up lists. Pick out words that leave a lasting impression on you.
Original post by hootdoot04
IK bit of a stupid question but I'm just wondering does anyone have any advice? I'm using quizlet atm but it's not helping much

Flashcards are very effective, all the more you use sentences they give a clue to the meaning.
(edited 3 years ago)
For Quizlet, I feel that the “Write” activity is the best one for me. I do it so it tells me the word in English and I type it out in the language I’m learning. What is not working for you? Is it the spelling, or can you not remember it? Which language are you doing too (Quizlet is rubbish for languages that are not in the English alphabet)? Anki is good software if you are finding hard to remember it...:smile:
I'm doing a languages degree, and i've found that the main ways to make quizlet effective are:
- Learn fewer words in one go. It's easy to do 50 in one go, but if you have the option then try to do 10, then write sentences using the words, then learn some more.
- Say the words out-loud as you read them.
- Do shorter vocab sessions. Can't learn vocab when you're just mindlessly clicking through them! Better do 10 focused minutes than 3 hours without getting anywhere.
- Use the game settings.
- Try to use new vocab in context asap. For example, chatting with a penfriend, talking to your teacher, or just talking or writing on your own.
- Use lyricstraining to help you to listen to the vocab you're learning.
Reply 5
Original post by summerberry19
For Quizlet, I feel that the “Write” activity is the best one for me. I do it so it tells me the word in English and I type it out in the language I’m learning. What is not working for you? Is it the spelling, or can you not remember it? Which language are you doing too (Quizlet is rubbish for languages that are not in the English alphabet)? Anki is good software if you are finding hard to remember it...:smile:

Thank you for all the amazing advice :smile:
Thank you for all the amazing advice :smile:

Ahh no worries! Which language are you learning? :smile:
Reply 7
Ahh no worries! Which language are you learning? :smile:

Spanish :cool: planning on doing it at degree level as well
Spanish :cool: planning on doing it at degree level as well

Woahh! That’s awesome lol.
I was talking about GCSE level :rolleyes:
How is your weekend going?
Reply 9
Woahh! That’s awesome lol.
I was talking about GCSE level :rolleyes:
How is your weekend going?

:colone: I’ve completed my gcse. It’s been fine 😊 , how about you?
Reply 10
I make a list of the English word or question and test against it. When I get the question right three times I eliminate it from the list. So there is the satisfaction of the list getting shorter and three correct answers generally means its learnt. Quite a tedious method - I’d much prefer to have a photographic memory - but seems to work. I hate the intangible gender assignment of French nouns, mind. Seems to double the effort of learning.
:colone: I’ve completed my gcse. It’s been fine 😊 , how about you?

Awesome.
It’s been quite unproductive tbh. Need to do some work :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending