The Student Room Group

Leaving MBBS for another degree

Dear guys, I have a few questions to ask. I feel I am in a difficult situation.

I am in year 3 MBBS degree and I am not enjoying it to the point that I am daily googling things about people who left medicine and how they regretted medicine. Every time when I go to hospital placement I call my mom and cry how I hate my life and write numerous texts how I want to quit.

I feel that I made the wrong choice. I feel that I am wasting my time , health and money on something that I do not want to do in my life.

I got 5 A*s.
My question is if I apply for something I really like or imagine myself doing, would unis look at my A level grades or my MBBS grades?

I felt I ruined my chances with the depression since I failed countless of time. Not only because of depression but also because of my anorexia.
Should I mention that in my personal statement?
Reply 1
Yes, I have. They either send me to the occupational health therapist or tell me to finish after 3 or 4 years and get a BSc in Medical science (I think so). But I do not think that I would like that. I would rather finish and have MBBS which maybe help me a tiny bit more in the future while looking for any kind of job . But at the same time I feel I just want to quit and go into another (unrelated ) field and do what I always wanted to instead of wasting my time.

Thanks for your reply btw
Reply 2
OH therapist was just asking about my anorexia.
After MBBS I would not be able to apply for Master's degree unfortunately since they require me to have different kind of knowledge. So it means I would need to start another BSc degree.
I was thinking maybe it would be better just to finish now if I am really planning to do another degree instead of wasting my time now?
I am just very lost and confused.
Some ppl say MBBS is good to have
but at the same time others tell me that MBBS is not useful at all if I want to work in maths related field at all and suggest me to drop out now.
Reply 3
Honestly, I am just tired of people asking me why I did MBBS if I do not like it. Well how else I could know this if I did not try? Eh....
I never thought that due to my terrible disorder I will fail and fail and fail and end up at the bottom of all the students....
I appreciate who ever reads this and finds time to reply here. Thank you
Reply 4
Yes, I thought about it.
My situation is not the best. I believe that I will ruin all my chances to get intercalated degree since I failed :
my second year finals ( due to my Eating disorder)
my resits (again eating disorder)
my finals after 1 year of retaking the year at home not at uni (eating disorder)
Then I passed second attempt (free from eating disorder)

Failed third year (OSCEs exam 1 station) (free from eating disorder)
Retaking the year now

I am fine with ED but I have a huge depression.
I believe I can only do another BSc because I have good A level grades but I ruined my medical school grades.....so no vision for MAster's degree.
That is why I am considering doing just another BSc.....that would be probably logical
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you ! But what about unrelated field....? :0 I am talking about mathematics/computer science.
And yes they would give me Medical study degree....I do not know much about it tbh.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you ! It is a great idea to ask them instead of just guessing.
Thanks for your patience while answering everything.
Reply 7
I just wish that finally everything in my life will be fine.
Health is so important. You really cannot do anything while being ill. I am happy I had those obstacles quite early in life and not now.

Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest