The Student Room Group

Access course Failed unit Help

Hi, I have submitted my ungraded unit too many times and now unable to resubmit unless I write to the course manager. Has this happened to anyone else? and what will likely happen
Thanks
I think you're making assumptions about others knowledge of your course. It's an ungraded unit - so pass/fail? So it's not that you keep re-submitting but that you keep failing is the issue? If so it sounds like you're way overdue a discussion with your tutor. Maybe after discussion you might get another go, but more importantly you need to work on achieving a pass this time. You can but ask.
Original post by Dee-Emma
I think you're making assumptions about others knowledge of your course. It's an ungraded unit - so pass/fail? So it's not that you keep re-submitting but that you keep failing is the issue? If so it sounds like you're way overdue a discussion with your tutor. Maybe after discussion you might get another go, but more importantly you need to work on achieving a pass this time. You can but ask.

yeah, I'm sure I can pass it if I got the chance to resend it but the problem is if I'm not able to how would it affect my application for uni as I've not passed all 60 credits? And this is the only ungraded unit this has happened to so its all new to me lol
Original post by darrenb12345
yeah, I'm sure I can pass it if I got the chance to resend it but the problem is if I'm not able to how would it affect my application for uni as I've not passed all 60 credits? And this is the only ungraded unit this has happened to so its all new to me lol

So much depends on what and where you're applying for, and how well you do at interview. An access coure can be a foot in the door just to give you a chance to present your case. Of the 5 Unis I applied for, some gave unconditional offers, some required me to just complete my access, and only one set a conditional offer based on access course points. YMMV
Original post by Dee-Emma
So much depends on what and where you're applying for, and how well you do at interview. An access coure can be a foot in the door just to give you a chance to present your case. Of the 5 Unis I applied for, some gave unconditional offers, some required me to just complete my access, and only one set a conditional offer based on access course points. YMMV

ok thanks for the help, ill try sort something out with my tutor tomorrow, Did you fail any units or have any that you had to resubmit. Seems like these first few units are a waste of time
ok thanks for the help, ill try sort something out with my tutor tomorrow, Did you fail any units or have any that you had to resubmit. Seems like these first few units are a waste of time

Luckily no. I took the access course (art and design) for it's own sake, and wanted to get the most out of it that I could - so didn't regard any of the units as a waste of time. It was only part way through the course that other circumstances made university a possibility, and managed to get enough points for the conditional offer - although the unconditionals would still have been OK.
Reply 6
You have to speak to your course manager, They will usually have to email your awarding body explaining the situation and I believe they make the final decision.
How many times did you submit it? Did you not ask for help from the tutors before resubmitting and take into account the feedback provided?
Original post by adam271
You have to speak to your course manager, They will usually have to email your awarding body explaining the situation and I believe they make the final decision.
How many times did you submit it? Did you not ask for help from the tutors before resubmitting and take into account the feedback provided?

I resubmitted twice altogether and didn't realise there was a limit, The tutor did tell me what was wrong in the work but then was unable to resend. Do you know what the chances are that they will refuse or accept me resubmitting?
Thanks
I resubmitted twice altogether and didn't realise there was a limit, The tutor did tell me what was wrong in the work but then was unable to resend. Do you know what the chances are that they will refuse or accept me resubmitting?
Thanks

hello im waiting for the HE manager to get back to me as ive sent mine twice and want a 3rd attempt before i can move on. im hoping fingers crossed i get the chance too!
Reply 9
Do you know what the chances are that they will refuse or accept me resubmitting?
Thanks

No, each college has a different set of procedures.

Here is something I got from my old specification in regards to resubmissions.

Referral Process

Normally, a student is permitted only one opportunity to resubmit work which fails to meet all requirements of the associated learning outcomes. The referral process allows the course team to recommend to the external moderator that a student should be permitted a second resubmission opportunity. Referral may also be requested for students who have submitted work after a deadline without an agreed extension, and this work has failed to meet the requirements of one or more of the associated learning outcomes. If this occurs within the duration of a course, the recommendation is referred to the lead/external moderator through a formal process.

If the need for referral occurs at the end of the course (for example, as the consequence of assessments that have been taken in the last weeks of a course), the recommendation is taken to the awards board, as referrals at this stage in a course have implications for staffing, resources and results that need to be fully considered and carefully managed.

Please note: Referral does not automatically result in approval for a second resubmission. Decisions are made by the external moderator on behalf of the Awarding Body on the basis of evidence presented.

As part of this process, the student’s total achievement profile up to the point on the Access to HE course that the referral is requested (including the title of units, credit value and indicative grades, and whether or not they were achieved on the basis of a second resubmission of work as a consequence of referral) will be submitted as part of the referral request.

Requests for referrals will not normally be considered where the total credit value of units already achieved / or might be achieved through the referral process is more than 15 credits.

Grade Descriptors, when applied to successful referred resubmission, are capped at a PASS.
Update: I've had an email from the manager saying I'm ok to resend my work and she says to not email them too much they'll get back to my first one, Guess I need to stop worrying too much lol. Thanks everyone for the advice
Original post by starzyDee
hello im waiting for the HE manager to get back to me as ive sent mine twice and want a 3rd attempt before i can move on. im hoping fingers crossed i get the chance too!

Hi, is it stonebridge/Learndirect by any chance and is it your first time having to do this? they mentioned something to me about being able to email a draft before I resubmit. Hopefully you get another chance but emailing drafts might be worth thinking about, I never knew about it tbh so hopefully wont end up in this position again lol, Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending