The Student Room Group

Epq idea

Hi I’m doing the epq and was thinking about ethics behind vaccinations as a loose subject idea, I’m planning to do dentistry at uni- would anyone recommend even doing the epq and if so is my idea to far out from the subject? If anyone is doing dentistry and did or didn’t do the epq I’d love some advice!!
Reply 1
Hi!

In my opinion, as long as your A-Levels are fitted to get you into the desired course, your EPQ can be on absolutely anything. One of the main bonus points of the EPQ is the development and showcasing of skills, so it'll be recognised whatever topic you choose. I want to be a primary school teacher and my topic is on politics! Two completely different areas of study.

Basically, an EPQ is basically a way to increase your UCAS points and to display your set of skills. The only scenario that I would recommend making it more related to your future degree is if your A-Levels are not really relevant to the course.

In terms of recommendation, if you feel like you are definitely getting into uni without it, it isn't really necessary - but you can still do it. It does take up time which you could be spending on your main subjects but if you are motivated enough then that shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, but I hope it somewhat helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Porkypig800
Hi I’m doing the epq and was thinking about ethics behind vaccinations as a loose subject idea, I’m planning to do dentistry at uni- would anyone recommend even doing the epq and if so is my idea to far out from the subject? If anyone is doing dentistry and did or didn’t do the epq I’d love some advice!!

EPQ is something you have to be prepared to put the commitment in. It cannot be chosen on a whim especially since you have to do it for a whole year. A lot more of the marks for EPQ are from the planning process and recording what you do over the year more than the report itself. It's good to choose something that will be related to what you want to do at university. I was originally going to do my EPQ on Israel and Palestine but then realised there would not be that great of a chance to talk about it in an interview (I'm applying to medicine) so changed it to something more science related. Just to say, it does not put you at any disadvantage from not doing it, but I know a few medical schools (not sure about dental) lower the requirements if you do epq and on results day if you do not get the original requirements they may let you in if you do AS/EPQ. I've finished writing my report and am about to do my presentation so if you've got any questions about it just ask. I do AQA EPQ, so it might be different on other exam boards?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending