The Student Room Group

What universities allow me to do electrical engineering with a BTEC extended diploma

Hey there i was wondering if there are any universities that allow BTEC Engineering (predicted D*D*D*) so I can do electrical and electronics engineering. O have put a list together to better my decision for my UCAS statement, here it is:

Imperial College - 5th ranked in EEE and 7th overall according to the guardian league table
UCL - 7th ranked in EEE according to the guardian league table
West London - Not ranked for the subject but is in 57th place of the Guardian league table

Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me in my decision for university!
Original post by SA_2019
Hey there i was wondering if there are any universities that allow BTEC Engineering (predicted D*D*D*) so I can do electrical and electronics engineering. O have put a list together to better my decision for my UCAS statement, here it is:

Imperial College - 5th ranked in EEE and 7th overall according to the guardian league table
West London - Not ranked for the subject but is in 57th place of the Guardian league table

The entry requirements for each university will show whether a university is accepting a BTEC. Generally most will do but dont know about Imperial or UCL. One issue you might need to check is that some universities may require A level Maths in addition to the BTEC. Again this will be shown on the entry requirements.
It seems UCL do. Other than below ring the Admissions tutor for more advice. He will be able to tell you. I would ring Imperial. I couldnt find anything but from memory think they are one of very few universities who dont accept BTECs.

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF) D*, D*, D* to include Distinction in Maths for Technicians and Distinction in Further Maths for Technicians or BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF - teaching from 2016) with D*, D*, D* to include Distinction in Engineering Principles and Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems. Modules relevant to Electronic and Electrical Engineering are preferred.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
The entry requirements for each university will show whether a university is accepting a BTEC. Generally most will do but dont know about Imperial or UCL. One issue you might need to check is that some universities may require A level Maths in addition to the BTEC. Again this will be shown on the entry requirements.

Yeah ive seen that before in the universities entry requiremnts page, but the other subject im doing is core maths
Reply 4
It seems UCL do. Other than below ring the Admissions tutor for more advice. He will be able to tell you. I would ring Imperial. I couldnt find anything but from memory think they are one of very few universities who dont accept BTECs.

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF) D*, D*, D* to include Distinction in Maths for Technicians and Distinction in Further Maths for Technicians or BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF - teaching from 2016) with D*, D*, D* to include Distinction in Engineering Principles and Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems. Modules relevant to Electronic and Electrical Engineering are preferred.

Those modules are modules that I've completed before September to get ahead of school and focus on my final project, could you explain a little more in your first paragraph? i didn't quite understand it.
Original post by SA_2019
Those modules are modules that I've completed before September to get ahead of school and focus on my final project, could you explain a little more in your first paragraph? i didn't quite understand it.

As far as I know there are a couple of universities that do not accept BTECS. I think Imperial is one of them. The only was to find out is to ring the university. The admissions tutor at Imperial would be the best person to know.
Reply 6
Ok thanks for the info!

As far as I know there are a couple of universities that do not accept BTECS. I think Imperial is one of them. The only was to find out is to ring the university. The admissions tutor at Imperial would be the best person to know.

thanks!
can anyone send me your engineering project word document to me please i have level 3 student year one i want to advance to next year but i am worried anout the project
Reply 8
Original post by KevinZhang135
can anyone send me your engineering project word document to me please i have level 3 student year one i want to advance to next year but i am worried anout the project

no one can't that's plagiarism, and you'll fail. But if you worried about your project don't be.
Original post by SA_2019

Hi @SA_2019

Here at Hull we offer BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering and accept BTEC's to fulfil our entry requirements.
We require DMM from BTEC (120 UCAS Points).

Six reasons to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Hull:
Our electrical and electronic engineering courses were the first in the UK to be accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology
Great job prospects due to UK skills shortfall
Benefit from our new robotics and 3D printing labs
Direct pathway to Chartered Engineer status
Course designed in collaboration with industry
Study under experts in the latest technology

More details about our course can be found here - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/electrical-and-electronic-engineering-beng-meng?d=2021&var=standard

when looking at university websites, it will like under entry requirements what the university accepts, but you can always contact the admissions team if in doubt

Emily
University of Hull Students Representative

Quick Reply

Latest