The Student Room Group

Money?

Hi,
I'm currently a uni student studying film and because no facilities are open and everything is online, my little laptop is really starting to die and really can't handle anything other than essays (it only has 12gb of memory lol). But because of the pandemic it's really hard to get a job to fund a new device!
Does anyone know of a way to get some money to get a new one? - nothing too sketchy though!
Thank you very much!
Reply 1
Just put some more RAM in it then
Can you use some of your savings or student loan to buy a refurbished/used laptop from ebay?
Many are available for under £140 including delivery.
Reply 3
Original post by Crysaur
Hi,
I'm currently a uni student studying film and because no facilities are open and everything is online, my little laptop is really starting to die and really can't handle anything other than essays (it only has 12gb of memory lol). But because of the pandemic it's really hard to get a job to fund a new device!
Does anyone know of a way to get some money to get a new one? - nothing too sketchy though!
Thank you very much!

I think you mean 12GB storage. 12GB RAM would be more than sufficient to run most programmes and tasks.

First of all, make a backup of all your files onto a portable usb stick.

Remove any junk on your laptop. Use Edge Chromium browser, which will have better performance than Google Chrome on a weaker laptop. You may also want to consider running disk cleanup as well:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

Just delete "temporary internet files" and "temporary files" but be wary you will have to re log into any website you are logged into and programmes initially may take a little longer to load the first time you start them up again. There are other options you can delete but leave them for now.

Also avoid having multiple programs open. Just have one program open.

Alternatively, you can inform the university and they may be able to provide you with a laptop you can temporarily borrow.
Reply 4
Wow, that's bad. It is difficult for a student to make money, especially in quarantine.
You can try to search on sites with vacancies, maybe there are vacancies for part-time work. But most likely they will not be well paid, even if you have no experience.
You can also try to search on sites for freelancers. If you understand digital and can do some related tasks, you may be able to make money there.
Or if you are looking for a faster way, you can try to make money here https://mr.bet/ . I often use this option if I need money here and now.
Or just ask your parents.
Reply 5
Original post by 0le
I think you mean 12GB storage. 12GB RAM would be more than sufficient to run most programmes and tasks.

4k video editing to make a film for film studies?
Reply 6
Original post by Margo.22
Wow, that's bad. It is difficult for a student to make money, especially in quarantine.
You can try to search on sites with vacancies, maybe there are vacancies for part-time work. But most likely they will not be well paid, even if you have no experience.
You can also try to search on sites for freelancers. If you understand digital and can do some related tasks, you may be able to make money there.
Or if you are looking for a faster way, you can try to make money here https://mr.bet/ . I often use this option if I need money here and now.
Or just ask your parents.

Wow.. recommending gambling as a way to get some money....

Deluded much?
Original post by Crysaur
Hi,
Thank you very much!

Selling old stuff? Paid survey websites? Loans form parents? Are there any local bursaries you could apply for?
Original post by Crysaur
Hi,
Thank you very much!

Is getting a job an option?
Supermarkets seem to be taking on. Various shops seem to be worth a try as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending