The Student Room Group

When is it acceptable to put up your Christmas tree?

2020 has definitely been what I'd describe as an annus horribilis, so it's no surprise that many people have already began to capitalise on the Christmas celebrations - quite a few people I know have already put up their Christmas trees! :headfire:

How does this make you feel? Do you think it's OK to do it so early or do you have a specific time when it's acceptable? I really want to put my tree up but we have a family tradition not to do that until my brother's birthday in December :frown:

:claus:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:lol: I couldn't actually imagine having a tree out all year

Original post by Interea
We put ours up yesterday - not sure how I feel about it since I had a rough time last Christmas and it's reminding me of that, but my family love it.

I'm really sorry to hear that :console: I hope this year is a much better one for you :frown:
Reply 2
Just noticed that there's a tree at the entrance to my college and am not a fan :tongue:
In my opinion you shouldn't put anything up until December 1 at the earliest
Original post by Interea
Thank you, it's heading in a much better direction this year, and it's lovely seeing my mum all excited by the pretty lights anyway, so I think early Christmas is acceptable this year :smile:

I'm so glad to hear this! :grin: I think it probably is too, I've been listening to Christmas music since October... :colondollar:
Original post by Darya.
Just noticed that there's a tree at the entrance to my college and am not a fan :tongue:
In my opinion you shouldn't put anything up until December 1 at the earliest

:headfire: You have trees at college? My college never did anything for Christmas :frown: :frown:
July
Original post by Moonlight rain
July

:lol: you're on PRSOM for me
I put all my Christmas tree and decorations up on 1 December.
My friend is Christmas obsessed; plays Christmassy music all year round and has her decorations up every day- changes the decorations three times a year.
Original post by Elizabeth II
:lol: you're on PRSOM for me

Same 😭
Original post by londonmyst
I put all my Christmas tree and decorations up on 1 December.
My friend is Christmas obsessed; plays Christmassy music all year round and has her decorations up every day- changes the decorations three times a year.

Oh my god! That’s certainly some dedication :laugh: does that mean you get gifts and Christmas dinner all year round too....?
Original post by Interea
Just remembered the girl I'm dating has had her tree up since October - they just decorated it with halloween themed baubles :lol:

Why has the idea of a Halloween tree never occurred to me before?! Genius!
I’ve never celebrated Christmas but I do rather enjoy it, if I were to put one up it’d be a week before Christmas break, just to help me push through college work with some festivity..

Spoiler

Reply 12
:headfire: You have trees at college? My college never did anything for Christmas :frown: :frown:

Yeah I saw that they were putting one up and decorating it at the entrance. My friend was writing a program just to test something out and as the text inside it she put the lyrics to All I Want For Christmas Is You as well :lol:
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
I’ve never celebrated Christmas but I do rather enjoy it, if I were to put one up it’d be a week before Christmas break, just to help me push through college work with some festivity..

Spoiler

Eggnog is delicious :heart:
Reply 14
I've had mine up since October.
Original post by 8472
I've had mine up since October.

Do you have any pictures 👀
Reply 16
Do you have any pictures 👀

It looks shockingly bad in the photo from my dad's 5 year old tablet :rofl:

Spoiler

Original post by 8472
It looks shockingly bad in the photo from my dad's 5 year old tablet :rofl:

Spoiler

It's cute!!!
I think people should wait until December, but each to their own i guess. The Christmas season is fun and all but every year it seems like everywhere is trying to push it back earlier and earlier into the year in an attempt to profit from it, and it's kind of diluting everything a bit too much for me. I like doing stuff like christmas shopping, markets, eating out a lot during the time and it'd get expensive to push that outside of December. That's when i start feeling more festive and decs seem to lose their meaning a little and become detached from the season if done too early. I find it nice to use putting the decs up as a way to mark the start of December and the festive period to get in the mood too.

Of course this year will be different for most. I don't plan on going out but i'll try and have a christmas season at home. I'll decorate once December hits and there will be plenty of Christmas themed snacks and movies.
Original post by Kogomogo
I think people should wait until December, but each to their own i guess. The Christmas season is fun and all but every year it seems like everywhere is trying to push it back earlier and earlier into the year in an attempt to profit from it, and it's kind of diluting everything a bit too much for me. I like doing stuff like christmas shopping, markets, eating out a lot during the time and it'd get expensive to push that outside of December. That's when i start feeling more festive and decs seem to lose their meaning a little and become detached from the season if done too early. I find it nice to use putting the decs up as a way to mark the start of December and the festive period to get in the mood too.

Of course this year will be different for most. I don't plan on going out but i'll try and have a christmas season at home. I'll decorate once December hits and there will be plenty of Christmas themed snacks and movies.

I do see your point to be honest - I think if this year were one like the others I'd lean towards agreeing with you, but it feels like everyone needs some respite and so I'm not too mad about it :tongue:

What's your favourite Christmas snack? :yum:

Quick Reply

Latest