The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE economics help

I’ve discovered I really like maths and since doing geography, the economics/human geography has been very fascinating. I was wondering if I applied using these following A level and grades; will my chance of getting accepted be high?

I achieved A* in 10 GCSEs and a distinction in additional maths. My school didn’t offer further maths (GCSE)

I’m studying the following Maths, chemistry, physics and geography. I plan on taking up Further maths as an AS as I’ve found out that my chances are very slim if I wanted to do economics without further maths up to AS. If I were to do further maths, I would have to drop one of the my chosen subject. Does anyone recommend what I should drop?

Also are there any admissions test?

Scroll to see replies

Which university are you thinking of applying to?

As far as I know, you don't need further maths to do economics or geography. The content on economics degrees don't really go beyond AS maths unless you do Mathematical economics, where further maths is ideal.

The admission tests tend not to apply to non-Oxbridge universities. For competitive degrees, they tend to request interviews.

Chemistry and physics won't technically be relevant to an economics undergrad. Physics PhDs can be useful in professional economic research or consulting because of how maths heavy it is. Physics undergrads tend to also be liked in the financial sector as well.

Having said that, it would really help if you look at the entry requirements for your chosen economics/geography degrees. The information on them will shed more light than what I can say on here.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

As far as I know, you don't need further maths to do economics or geography. The content on economics degrees don't really go beyond AS maths unless you do Mathematical economics, where further maths is ideal.

The admission tests tend not to apply to non-Oxbridge universities. For competitive degrees, they tend to request interviews.

Chemistry and physics won't technically be relevant to an economics undergrad. Physics PhDs can be useful in professional economic research or consulting because of how maths heavy it is. Physics undergrads tend to also be liked in the financial sector as well.

Having said that, it would really help if you look at the entry requirements for your chosen economics/geography degrees. The information on them will shed more light than what I can say on here.

Hello there, thanks for the response!

I want to apply for LSE economics. However the issue is that I don't have economics and I'll only be having AS further maths A2 Maths and Phys/Chem. Is this going to be a HUGE disadvantage for me? Rather would it be better to take a gap year to finish all of further maths?
Reply 3

I want to do economics at LSE since I've heard it's a very maths heavy degree and well respected (especially from LSE) therefore I just wanted to know whether I could have a decent chance of getting into LSE with AS Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and AS geography.
Have you read the entry requirements for the degree?
When it comes to entry requirements, universities tend to be very blunt about it. I haven't seen any requirement for interviews or entrance exams. Typical grade for maths is A*, and further maths ideally at A at AS if not A Level. The third subject would ideally be essay based e.g. geography. Having said that, Chemistry and/or Physics are preferred over Geography. Economics A Level is not required.
My recommendation is to apply with Physics and not do Chemistry.

I've briefly went through the course modules, and although it's ideal to have AS further maths for some of the modules e.g. Mathematical Methods, it's not mandatory for most of it. It will be nice to have for the math modules, but I don't think you will need to cover the math topics in your second or third year if you don't want to.

If you have inclination to go into doing a CIMA qualification, the accounting modules they recommended are useful for exemptions.

I'd recommend getting a second opinion from someone who went to LSE for economics first though.
Reply 5
Have you read the entry requirements for the degree?
When it comes to entry requirements, universities tend to be very blunt about it. I haven't seen any requirement for interviews or entrance exams. Typical grade for maths is A*, and further maths ideally at A at AS if not A Level. The third subject would ideally be essay based e.g. geography. Having said that, Chemistry and/or Physics are preferred over Geography. Economics A Level is not required.
My recommendation is to apply with Physics and not do Chemistry.

I've briefly went through the course modules, and although it's ideal to have AS further maths for some of the modules e.g. Mathematical Methods, it's not mandatory for most of it. It will be nice to have for the math modules, but I don't think you will need to cover the math topics in your second or third year if you don't want to.

If you have inclination to go into doing a CIMA qualification, the accounting modules they recommended are useful for exemptions.

I'd recommend getting a second opinion from someone who went to LSE for economics first though.

Thank you so much for your help!

Originally, I took chemistry only with the thought of "It opens doors to a lot of courses in science" However, as time progressed I felt like a science wasn't for me. Do you think I will be in a better position if I applied with a gap year to finish off Further Maths? I want to max my chances and I from what I've seen "statistically" economics is a very competitive course.
I’ve discovered I really like maths and since doing geography, the economics/human geography has been very fascinating. I was wondering if I applied using these following A level and grades; will my chance of getting accepted be high?

I achieved A* in 10 GCSEs and a distinction in additional maths. My school didn’t offer further maths (GCSE)

I’m studying the following Maths, chemistry, physics and geography. I plan on taking up Further maths as an AS as I’ve found out that my chances are very slim if I wanted to do economics without further maths up to AS. If I were to do further maths, I would have to drop one of the my chosen subject. Does anyone recommend what I should drop?

It wont be a massive disadvantage nor would they care much but ideally you would want Further Maths. Many people get in without FMaths its just nicer to have if it was an option for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Bobchain97
It wont be a massive disadvantage nor would they care much but ideally you would want Further Maths. Many people get in without FMaths its just nicer to have if it was an option for you.

Yeah exactly! I heard literally 90% of the students at LSE have further maths. I didn't take it not because I don't like maths but I never really thought about it. However, if I did do Further Maths AS are my chances still good?
Reply 8
It wont be a massive disadvantage nor would they care mucFoirh but ideally you would want Further Maths. Many people get in without FMaths its just nicer to have if it was an option for you.

For reference as well. What did you take at A level?
Yeah exactly! I heard literally 90% of the students at LSE have further maths. I didn't take it not because I don't like maths but I never really thought about it. However, if I did do Further Maths AS are my chances still good?I

I wouldnt say they are the same but they do increase.Tbh with you email the admissions team. Thats what I've done but for UCL for my case.
For reference as well. What did you take at A level?

Im applying to do Econ as well but rather at Warwick,UCL and Exeter.
Im applying to do Econ as well but rather at Warwick,UCL and Exeter.

Did you take further maths yourself?
Did you take further maths yourself?

No but i regret not picking but because i sort of dislike the subject I'm currently doing rn.
At the end of the day , those grades you get for A levels are what matters. Subject wise the fact that you are doing Maths alone is fine,F Maths will make you a stronger applicant and maybe an essay based subject maybe.
Further Maths is a popular option for those that do pick Econ but Maths is an essential therefore think F Maths as a nice add one(not compulsory but nice to have).
Yeah exactly! I heard literally 90% of the students at LSE have further maths. I didn't take it not because I don't like maths but I never really thought about it. However, if I did do Further Maths AS are my chances still good?

Statistically if you don't have further maths at A-level or AS level and your school offered it, your chances are basically zero. With AS level you may have a chance but this would still be lower than those taking A-level so you would need to have a strong application in other areas to make up for it. Definitely take at least AS further maths if you are considering applying for pure econ to give yourself a chance. Alternatively you could take economics joint with another subject such economic history etc. where further maths isn't as relevant?

LSE used to really like Maths, Economics and History
Original post by Incede
Statistically if you don't have further maths at A-level or AS level and your school offered it, your chances are basically zero. With AS level you may have a chance but this would still be lower than those taking A-level so you would need to have a strong application in other areas to make up for it. Definitely take at least AS further maths if you are considering applying for pure econ to give yourself a chance. Alternatively you could take economics joint with another subject such economic history etc. where further maths isn't as relevant?

Just do fmaths and make sure you get an A. Then you can drop it.LSE competition for econ is a mad.
Original post by Incede

Honestly I’ve only suddenly started to like maths, I’ve realized that economics is a really good degree especially at LSE and it’s very heavy maths. I really want to do straight Econ. Problem is I’ve discovered it a bit too late. Therefore I might take up AS further maths in year 13 and then take a gap year in order to finish A2 further maths. Do you really need an essay based subject. For example if I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry would that be acceptable or would I also need to take up economics in the gap year.
Honestly I’ve only suddenly started to like maths, I’ve realized that economics is a really good degree especially at LSE and it’s very heavy maths. I really want to do straight Econ. Problem is I’ve discovered it a bit too late. Therefore I might take up AS further maths in year 13 and then take a gap year in order to finish A2 further maths. Do you really need an essay based subject. For example if I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry would that be acceptable or would I also need to take up economics in the gap year.

Ideally you would have one essay based subject, those subjects are suitable but I doing econ/another essay based subject would benefit your application. It's really up to you to decide how what you want do in your gap year and if you'll have time. The best combination would be maths/fm/econ/any other subject.
Original post by Incede
Ideally you would have one essay based subject, those subjects are suitable but I doing econ/another essay based subject would benefit your application. It's really up to you to decide how what you want do in your gap year and if you'll have time. The best combination would be maths/fm/econ/any other subject.

Do you reckon a gap year will disadvantage me? I’ll probs do AS further in year 13 and finish it off at some college in my gap year, if it’s necessary I’ll even take economics in my gap year. I should have the time, my only worry is whether I’ll be at a disadvantage.
Do you reckon a gap year will disadvantage me? I’ll probs do AS further in year 13 and finish it off at some college in my gap year, if it’s necessary I’ll even take economics in my gap year. I should have the time, my only worry is whether I’ll be at a disadvantage.

No, a gap year won't disadvantage you. Are you in year 12? Assuming you are, if I was you I would apply next year with AS further maths and the subjects you are currently doing, then if you get rejected apply in your gap year as well but take economics as well as the full further maths A-level? That way you can try your luck with the first application.
If you are in year 12 now, would your school allow you to start the further maths a level now? I didn't realise you had geography, so if you swapped further maths for chemistry or physics you would be able to make a very competitive application - I'd definitely recommend this if it's possible.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending