The Student Room Group

Sussex, Surrey, Kent, UEA STUDENT LIFE/STUDENT UNION FUN?

Hi! I'm about to submit my UCAS, and hoping to apply for Sussex BSc Econ. Wondering if I should go for Sussex, Surrey or Kent, all look great, but i am a little introverted and would benefit from arranged pub nights, nights out, regular sports night, active student union etc. Wondering if anyone has any advice on any of these unis or if you know which is fun!
I've been to UEA, and I can say it's fun from my experience. However, I don't think you should apply to a uni for a degree just because it's fun.

If the degree won't help you get where you want to go once you graduate, then it won't make sense to do the degree program in the first place. If you don't like what you're studying or if you won't/can't work hard to get the grades you need, then think carefullly before applying.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've been to UEA, and I can say it's fun from my experience. However, I don't think you should apply to a uni for a degree just because it's fun.

If the degree won't help you get where you want to go once you graduate, then it won't make sense to do the degree program in the first place. If you don't like what you're studying or if you won't/can't work hard to get the grades you need, then think carefullly before applying.

I know! I'm just on here asking opinions for social life for all three :smile:
Original post by UniKid2021
I know! I'm just on here asking opinions for social life for all three :smile:

I have friends who went to Kent, and it's OK as far as I know. It's Canterbury after all.
Surrey would be where all the posh people go. I haven't heard any complaints there either.

I don't have much knowledge of Sussex.
Reply 4
Don’t apply for a place simply because it has a lot of nightlife and fun. If everyone did that, UEL and South Bank would probably be in the top 10 universities in the country in terms of enrolment 😬
Original post by Anonymous
I have friends who went to Kent, and it's OK as far as I know. It's Canterbury after all.
Surrey would be where all the posh people go. I haven't heard any complaints there either.

I don't have much knowledge of Sussex.

Surrey students aren’t posh. And some parts of Surrey are absolute **** holes. This is coming from someone who lives in Surrey. It’s expensive but large parts are gross
Reply 6
Original post by dylgeo
Don’t apply for a place simply because it has a lot of nightlife and fun. If everyone did that, UEL and South Bank would probably be in the top 10 universities in the country in terms of enrolment 😬

Nobody said i'm doing that and nowhere did i say i was. I'm asking specifically about a social life for this forum. Because i want to know
Hello, I am student at Kent university and I completely understand your hesitation for which university to choose. It is important to choose a uni where the quality of the education is good alongside a well balanced social life too, which the University of Kent from my experience has offered me. As you are studying Economics, my friend who studies Economics and Politics, stated to me that a Economic buddy/mentor in the year above her, was assigned to her to help her with her work & assignments which is very helpful to get help from someone who has already been there at Kent. As well as this, the University of Kent has actually recently built the Kennedy Building, for the school of Economics the latest addition to teaching and research facilities at the University of Kent. This means you will not only be learning in a new space but also have the accessibility of all your lecturers in one place.
But campus is not limited to just academics there is so many things to get up to: you can indulge in Kent Sport where the gym is free for first years and undergraduates who live on campus; or be a part of any of the over 100 societies we have to offer, this is where I've met most of my friends; we also have The Venue which is our very own night club on campus and if you just want a relaxed but fun activity we have a cinema on campus too! The most important thing is that you choose a university that you will feel the most happy in, good luck on making your decision!
Nicola
Original post by UniKid2021
Hi! I'm about to submit my UCAS, and hoping to apply for Sussex BSc Econ. Wondering if I should go for Sussex, Surrey or Kent, all look great, but i am a little introverted and would benefit from arranged pub nights, nights out, regular sports night, active student union etc. Wondering if anyone has any advice on any of these unis or if you know which is fun!

To introduce myself I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

I completely understand your hesitation for which university to choose, but I can assure you that our students mental health is on top of our priorities.
Peer supporters have been trained by the Wellbeing and Welfare Department to provide a non-judgemental listening and support service to all Surrey students. They are all students at Surrey and genuinely care about you and want to listen, support and guide you in any way they can to help make your university experience the best it can be!

Also, Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. During my first year, I spent a lot of time training as part of the University’s rowing team. Surrey has amazing sports facilities and coaches, something which is reflected in our success at national and international competitions, which included three gold medals during that season. If you eventually decide coming to Surrey, you should consider joining

Coming to Surrey has exposed me to experiences I would have never lived if I had studied at home in Portugal. The University offers many sports activities both for those who want to compete at a semi-professional level and those who just want to stay fit.

I think this may help you.

All you need to know about studying economics at Surrey:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/student-experience/2020/12/09/all-you-need-to-know-about-studying-economics-in-surrey/

More than 140 societies and clubs to join:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/bulgariablog/2017/02/19/more-than-140-societies-and-clubs-to-join/

Joao
Economics

Quick Reply

Latest