The Student Room Group

Lump on back of neck

Right , so I have a hard lump on the back of my neck and has been there since August maybe or start of September and its slightly got bigger. It's not big it is quite small but should I be worried ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Right , so I have a hard lump on the back of my neck and has been there since August maybe or start of September and its slightly got bigger. It's not big it is quite small but should I be worried ?

Get it checked out, definitely not normal my guy

Exactly what size is it?
What colour is it?
Does it have a 'centre' surrounded by reddened flesh?
Is it painful if touched?

Look up sebaceous cyst.
Reply 3
Original post by Blueclueless
Get it checked out, definitely not normal my guy

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 4
Speak to your local GP as soon as possible.
Reply 5
Original post by Grizwuld
Exactly what size is it?
What colour is it?
Does it have a 'centre' surrounded by reddened flesh?
Is it painful if touched?

Look up sebaceous cyst.

It doesn't hurt really and its just a really hard thing and I can't see as it's on the back of my neck but I did ask my sister the other day if it looked like a spot and she said no it looks and feels like a lump but she didn't say anything else . It's not big I would say it's medium or small I can't see it that's the problem as it's under my hair kind of too
Reply 6
Original post by 0le
Speak to your local GP as soon as possible.

Ok, thanks for ur suggestion
Reply 7
Ok, thanks for ur suggestion

unfortunately they probably wont even see you in person due to corona so may misdiagnose you. i bet you anything they only offer you a telephone consultation.

if you think it is something serious, it may be worth laying it on a bit thick during your telephone consultation and try to get them to see you in person. you don't want to get something like that misdiagnosed then a year later or something find out it was cancer and you're now stage 3 or 4
Reply 8
Original post by ANM775
unfortunately they probably wont even see you in person due to corona so may misdiagnose you. i bet you anything they only offer you a telephone consultation.

if you think it is something serious, it may be worth laying it on a bit thick during your telephone consultation and try to get them to see you in person. you don't want to get something like that misdiagnosed then a year later or something find out it was cancer and you're now stage 3 or 4

I really do hope I'm overthinking this and I suppose a smallish lump isn't serious ? It doesn't really hurt , it's just really hard.

Appointments are difficult to arrange and I doubt it's a huge concern, maybe I should wait a month or so to see if anything changes with size or it goes
Reply 9
This is probably one think you don’t want to underplay. Lay it on thick with the GP just in case. Nothing to lose really.
Thank you! I have heard of that and isn't that to prevent colds and flus? I'm not 100% sure about it so I'll look it up. I appreciate your help
Reply 11
I really do hope I'm overthinking this and I suppose a smallish lump isn't serious ? It doesn't really hurt , it's just really hard.

Appointments are difficult to arrange and I doubt it's a huge concern, maybe I should wait a month or so to see if anything changes with size or it goes

It's been there 3 months already, get it checked out.

you do realise even if they suspect something and send you for tests you may end up on a 2 or 3 month waiting list for a hospital appointment. and then if surgery is required that will probably be more months....,

you're much better off going now and getting the ball rolling as if it is serious it may take time to get it sorted......
Reply 12
Thank you! I have heard of that and isn't that to prevent colds and flus? I'm not 100% sure about it so I'll look it up. I appreciate your help

typical lymph nodes should not be painless like you've described. they should hurt to the touch if they are inflamed.

they also should be quite small, and typically only flare sometimes if infection is present locally, and then should go down.

it doesn't sound like regular lymph nodes to me.
Original post by ANM775

you do realise even if they suspect something and send you for tests you may end up on a 2 or 3 month waiting list for a hospital appointment. and then if surgery is required that will probably be more months....,

you're much better off going now and getting the ball rolling as if it is serious it may take time to get it sorted......

Ok, it's also extremely hard to mention to parents and is embarrassing but I will try my best to do something about it and book an appointment
Ok, it's also extremely hard to mention to parents and is embarrassing but I will try my best to do something about it and book an appointment

It's on your neck, there's nothing's embarrassing about it. You need to get it checked ASAP, be firm when calling the GP to definitely get an appointment. Ask your parents to call them for you if you think that's better.

Also, MEASURE the lump with a ruler before calling the GP, "small to medium" can mean anything.

There's a high chance that it's benign, but if not things can go very wrong.
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
It's on your neck, there's nothing's embarrassing about it. You need to get it checked ASAP, be firm when calling the GP to definitely get an appointment. Ask your parents to call them for you if you think that's better.

Also, MEASURE the lump with a ruler before calling the GP, "small to medium" can mean anything.

There's a high chance that it's benign, but if not things can go very wrong.

Ok, you're right. It's better to get it checked out soon. I would prefer my parents talking to them. You've helped me out a lot , I am very grateful for your responses, thanks so mjch. It's been a huge help
Ok, you're right. It's better to get it checked out soon. I would prefer my parents talking to them. You've helped me out a lot , I am very grateful for your responses, thanks so mjch. It's been a huge help

No problem. I'm glad I could help. :smile:
As someone's already mentioned, it might possibly be a lymph node. I had one as well which didn't hurt but turned into something very serious so yeah definitely get it checked out by a doctor!
Reply 18
Original post by ANM775

Sorry, that's rubbish - 2 week wait is the standard referral time for cancer rule out. And you don't need to lay it on thick, trust in your GP, if they feel they need to see you, they'll see you
Reply 19
Original post by JoeTSR
Sorry, that's rubbish - 2 week wait is the standard referral time for cancer rule out. And you don't need to lay it on thick, trust in your GP, if they feel they need to see you, they'll see you

they sometimes put you on like a 2 week emergency pathway if they strongly suspect you have colon cancer or something, eg: you have classic symptoms and a positive fit test, but if OP doesn't have enough symptoms so they're not that sure its cancer ...then they might just be referred to hospital on a non emergency for a CT/MRI scan ...and that could be 2 or 3 months..

possibly even longer with all the covid

Quick Reply

Latest