The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1) Having **** coaches every year from the late 1990s

2) Having **** players from about 2008-present

3) They don't put the effort in at tournaments as they would rather go back to playing club football

4)The coaches in more recent years have put too much pressure on the players
On a another note: What would Euro 2016 have looked like if they had kept it in the old format of just 16 teams?
What sort of group would England end up in? Would they even get out of their group? If so Would they have done any better?
England will never be good in football. It start at ground level. The schools football training is terrible and the club football is a joke..And the people playing football is not to the standard like the rugby boys..
I have a different theory. England cannot win a penalty shootout. They fear PKs more than any other nation.

This shortcoming has more powerful effect than simply losing actual penalty shootouts as they have many times u know Italia 90 Euro 96 and so on. It is rooted in the collective psychology. It also causes stress towards the end of regulation or extra time when they are tied and seek a winner to avoid this fate, or even when they r one goal up but their opponents are pressing hard within the last tens mins for an equalizer. At these times their composure and form goes to pieces and they concede unnecessarily.

It's not even lack of confidence in their keepers. Usually England has at least decent keepers. It's the PK takers who collapse....
Media pressure - simple as that
Reply 45
Original post by candydiva
I have a different theory. England cannot win a penalty shootout. They fear PKs more than any other nation.

This shortcoming has more powerful effect than simply losing actual penalty shootouts as they have many times u know Italia 90 Euro 96 and so on. It is rooted in the collective psychology. It also causes stress towards the end of regulation or extra time when they are tied and seek a winner to avoid this fate, or even when they r one goal up but their opponents are pressing hard within the last tens mins for an equalizer. At these times their composure and form goes to pieces and they concede unnecessarily.

It's not even lack of confidence in their keepers. Usually England has at least decent keepers. It's the PK takers who collapse....

They won the last penalty shoot out they were involved in but still ****ed it up with nonsense tactics.
Reply 46
Original post by Malcolm Howes
Media pressure - simple as that

The media pressure in Brazil and Italy far outweighs ours, especially over the past 10 years since the ‘golden generation’ ****ed off.
The reason England's terrible is cos they've got a terrible manager who starts 3 CDMs against teams like Iceland. Need Southgate gone
Reply 48
Lack of quality players over the last 20 years (my football viewing lifetime). We've had the odd world class one but it's mostly just been very good prem players who've been our best. Most of team playing in a league with no winter break can't help either.
Original post by Retread
Lack of quality players over the last 20 years (my football viewing lifetime). We've had the odd world class one but it's mostly just been very good prem players who've been our best. Most of team playing in a league with no winter break can't help either.

Yeah could be. My footy viewing lifetime is much shorter than urs (basically since USA Women's WC 2011) but I was watching some historic footy on YT during lockdown and I notice that there aren't rlly any current England players who actually cause the opposition any fear. U know like they mark more closely and adjust tactics to control wat they see as the real danger. I saw wat happened in WC1998 with Michael Owen and after his goal vs Argentina the other teams took him v seriously. I know he got a rep as an inconsistent player coz my classmates at UCL told me but in top form he was clearly among the best in the world and the other teams knew it and feared him. Like that dude u call Gazza though Owen seems rational compared with Gazza who is like England's Maradona and has the same demons too!

But now do u rlly think they fear players like Stirling and Kane? I mean they r OK but they r not magicians. Bale maybe if he could/would play for England....

BTW nothing beats watching USA women's team... this year we have scored 33 goals in international competition...and conceded 1... we do not fear xtra time or PKs we are committed 100pc to victory at all times :biggrin:
Yeah could be. My footy viewing lifetime is much shorter than urs (basically since USA Women's WC 2011) but I was watching some historic footy on YT during lockdown and I notice that there aren't rlly any current England players who actually cause the opposition any fear. U know like they mark more closely and adjust tactics to control wat they see as the real danger. I saw wat happened in WC1998 with Michael Owen and after his goal vs Argentina the other teams took him v seriously. I know he got a rep as an inconsistent player coz my classmates at UCL told me but in top form he was clearly among the best in the world and the other teams knew it and feared him. Like that dude u call Gazza though Owen seems rational compared with Gazza who is like England's Maradona and has the same demons too!

But now do u rlly think they fear players like Stirling and Kane? I mean they r OK but they r not magicians. Bale maybe if he could/would play for England....

BTW nothing beats watching USA women's team... this year we have scored 33 goals in international competition...and conceded 1... we do not fear xtra time or PKs we are committed 100pc to victory at all times :biggrin:

Kane flops against good teams, just statpads against teams like Panama
Sterling isn't actually good, just carried by Guardiola at Man city
Bale is terrible now btw, hasn't been good for about 2 years lmao
Football's not just about quality players tho, a good manager gets the best out of players. The current manager can't do that unfortunately and therefore needs to be sacked before we're humiliated at the euros next year
Reply 51

Owen had an/some injuries that he never properly recovered from. Difficult to say what he could've been without them.

They're both good players. Do others fear them? Probably not anymore than forwards of 10 or so other teams that'll be at the Euros. Sad thing is that this is probably one of the stronger positions for Southgate to select from.

Sounds boring watching such a dominant team. I've watched England be average to **** all my life. But occasionally you have moments that go against the norm (like winning on penalties in the world cup just gone) and you dare to dream of something actually happening. Watching USA womens must be like watching the All Blacks. No ups when they win as it's expected and downs when they do rarely lose.
Reply 52

Owen was in no way inconsistent. He played for a pretty poor Liverpool team, had a truly terrible hamstring injury and was rushed back, completely ruining his pace.

Watching peak Owen was an absolute joy and it’s sad that he was mismanaged.

Gascoigne was very good when he was younger but he decided that partying with tits like Jimmy Five Bellies’ was more important that his career. Tit.

Tbf to Kane, he is still being held back by his stupid mouth that can’t hold his stupid tongue and looks like an idiot. If he was more handsome then you can guarantee that he would be getting thought of as one of the best players in the world. You can think I’m ridiculous but Real Madrid wouldn’t buy Ronaldinho because he’s too ugly, so it does come into it.
Original post by Retread
Owen had an/some injuries that he never properly recovered from. Difficult to say what he could've been without them.

They're both good players. Do others fear them? Probably not anymore than forwards of 10 or so other teams that'll be at the Euros. Sad thing is that this is probably one of the stronger positions for Southgate to select from.

Sounds boring watching such a dominant team. I've watched England be average to **** all my life. But occasionally you have moments that go against the norm (like winning on penalties in the world cup just gone) and you dare to dream of something actually happening. Watching USA womens must be like watching the All Blacks. No ups when they win as it's expected and downs when they do rarely lose.

USA WNT is the most dominant team in international sport and has been for ages...they have never been lower than #2 in FIFA rankings and usually #1. So we demand victory yes.

As for boring.... well I spose u might think so...but as long as there r some close games like France v USA in last WC then it doesn't rlly get boring watching ur team win all the time :biggrin: England v USA was also good. I wasn't 100pc sure we would win lol! England women's team has come on well and r top-5 now...coz many of them were on scholarship at NCAA colleges and developed like our players...also their coaching seems good.

As for fearing other players there's nobody in ur seleccion remotely like Robben or Ibrahimovic at peak u know where the only game plan is to absolutely deny them the ball by watever means... or they will make u pay in half a second from apparently impossible midfield positions with their backs to ur goal.... or even strikers like Carli Lloyd who rlly seize their moment... u know Gooo-o-ooo-ooo-llll!!
England tend to hire managers who choose the best players to fit their system at any given time rather than choosing to develop a system to fit the best players available.

The same will happen at Euro 2021. Square pegs in round holes and generally jerky, disjointed performances all around as top class players try to adapt to roles they’re not as good at.
Lack of teamwork really. Half of the problems would certainly get solved if they worked together.
Original post by IanDangerously
England tend to hire managers who choose the best players to fit their system at any given time rather than choosing to develop a system to fit the best players available.

The same will happen at Euro 2021. Square pegs in round holes and generally jerky, disjointed performances all around as top class players try to adapt to roles they’re not as good at.

If that's true then y don't England take a look at how the managers operate b4 appointing them? That sounds like bad management at two levels...the manager himself and the board who appoint the manager.

When I studied in UK I heard England fans make similar comments about numerous previous managers including Bobby Robson and the Sven dude so this doesn't seem like a new complaint. U know the defo of insanity right...

Jill Ellis might be available and let's face it she has a stronger record than any of the other candidates... 2 WC wins in the previous decade. I wonder how long it will be b4 rationality prevails over misogyny and fear and a really qualified woman like Ellis is appointed to manage a men's team in pursuit of what she does best i.e. win? But then again footy in Europe does seem to be bastion of male chauvanism compared with other sports....
We'll be winning Euro 2021, ⚽⚽⚽🥇🥇🥇all gold in Olympics
Original post by smartalan73
I think it's a bit unfair to say they don't have passion, some of the players have a lot of passion, some maybe not so much but it's not like any of them go into the game wanting to lose. I think the problems is they lack creativity and don't know how to play together, something which arguably is the managers job to sort out. Nobody wants to try anything because nobody wants to be blamed if it goes wrong so you just end up with loads of players constantly passing the ball. I'll ashut your motuh yout you don't know what you're on about g chatting bear maccers to man on here ****in* disgraceful g can't even post this on snapchat g because you'll get bear backlash init resortin to student room yute, you're probably ginger mate. pipe down.
dmit Jo Hart gets a bit over excited and those goals last night were atrocious but he's still the best keeper we've got by a mile (also points for the best singing of the national anthem). The player selection maybe wasn't the best but its not like there's a lot to choose from plus people keep getting injured and last season wasn't exactly a typical one in terms of the league so there's the dilemma of do you go with who's the better player or who's got better form. England will have their time again soon but maybe not until a fresh batch of players has come through the ranks, cos the youngsters did do best in the tournament in general.

sorry g
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yutetingfam
shut your motuh yout you don't know what you're on about g chatting bear maccers to man on here ****in* disgraceful g can't even post this on snapchat g because you'll get bear backlash init resortin to student room yute, you're probably ginger mate. pipe down.

stormzy shut up ting init

Latest