The Student Room Group

GCSE Music

Does anyone who does gcse music know how to revise for it?
I am struggling rn, particularly with the set works :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I remember doing music in year 8, and practically everyone failed so they removed it

So absolutely no clue😂
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I remember doing music in year 8, and practically everyone failed so they removed it

So absolutely no clue😂

:cool: Pressing the DJ button on the keyboard
Notes
Original post by hootdoot04
:cool: Pressing the DJ button on the keyboard

Literally 😂😂😂

No one was serious at all😂
Hey Im currently doing A level music and did GCSE music. I find for set works consolidating your knowledge and using DR SMITH to see the changes throughout the piece(s). I also created lists of key parts of the pieces which would be helpful to answer questions. What exam board are you doing?
Reply 6
Original post by captainduckie
i remember doing music in year 8, and practically everyone failed so they removed it

so absolutely no clue😂

haha wtf thats so funny lmao
Reply 7
Original post by cathy765
Hey Im currently doing A level music and did GCSE music. I find for set works consolidating your knowledge and using DR SMITH to see the changes throughout the piece(s). I also created lists of key parts of the pieces which would be helpful to answer questions. What exam board are you doing?

hey im doing edexcel!!!

I can't believe you do A level music that must be SO HARD!
Original post by ameelia.xo
haha wtf thats so funny lmao

It was complete shambles😂😂

The thing is, I didn’t / couldn’t understand a single thing, I tried but wasn’t ready at alll😂
Reply 9
Original post by CaptainDuckie
It was complete shambles😂😂

The thing is, I didn’t / couldn’t understand a single thing, I tried but wasn’t ready at alll😂

would you have still considered doing it for GCSE if it stayed?
would you have still considered doing it for GCSE if it stayed?

I was very young, like year 8, I think if it carried onto year 9 I would’ve got it. But I was very immature
(edited 3 years ago)

i'm doing gcse music too! my mock for it is this friday ;v;
but i'm doing OCR, so it might be different; sorry i'm not sure what the set works are ><
we have to study:

-the different pop musics (from 1960 to present i think): BBC bitesize is very good for this
-baroque to romantic
-world music (like Indian and African): BBC bitesize is really good for this too

i think learning music theory is also really helpful, i finished grade 5 theory and it helps a lot.
the books i studied for my theory are:

-Theory Is Fun by Maureen Cox (they are easy to understand and have a few practice questions on each page, but i think it's better if you don't just rely on them)
-ABRSM Music Theory by Eric Taylor (from what i remember, these ones have a lot of questions and information, which is really good but you will have to get someone to mark it for you)
-ABRSM practice papers to practise more questions!! though this is REALLY theory heavy and more for theory exams outside of gcse music xD i'd say it's being a bit extra but if you really want to memorise your theory then these would help!

oh and also! it might be good to learn some musical terms (e.g. allegro, crescendo) which the theory books give you a whole list of!
there are a LOT of musical terms, so i'd suggest learning the more common ones!

i'm sorry for such a long essay
Original post by stayhomecookrice
but i'm doing OCR, so it might be different; sorry i'm not sure what the set works are ><
we have to study:

-the different pop musics (from 1960 to present i think): BBC bitesize is very good for this
-baroque to romantic
-world music (like Indian and African): BBC bitesize is really good for this too

i think learning music theory is also really helpful, i finished grade 5 theory and it helps a lot.

-Theory Is Fun by Maureen Cox (they are easy to understand and have a few practice questions on each page, but i think it's better if you don't just rely on them)
-ABRSM Music Theory by Eric Taylor (from what i remember, these ones have a lot of questions and information, which is really good but you will have to get someone to mark it for you)
-ABRSM practice papers to practise more questions!! though this is REALLY theory heavy and more for theory exams outside of gcse music xD i'd say it's being a bit extra but if you really want to memorise your theory then these would help!

oh and also! it might be good to learn some musical terms (e.g. allegro, crescendo) which the theory books give you a whole list of!

thank you so much this really helped, I really appreciate it :smile:
we have to study:

-baroque to romantic

I am also doing Edexcel and we have a ton of set works which is really annoying :frown: there's so many types of questions that I don't understand and its hard, there's also a long 12 marker at the end which my whole class have come across and were just supposed to go into the exam 'knowing' what to do LOL so yeah
I am also doing Edexcel and we have a ton of set works which is really annoying :frown: there's so many types of questions that I don't understand and its hard, there's also a long 12 marker at the end which my whole class have come across and were just supposed to go into the exam 'knowing' what to do LOL so yeah

yeah i feel you :frown:
my teacher is quite lazy and he expects everyone to know what he's going on about xD
i think we're going to have a big mark question too and a useful tip about analysing the music they play is "what instruments, when they play, the effect it has" kind of like an english paragraph! ^^
for example, a drum roll can be heard at the beginning which builds up suspense and tension, which also represents soldiers readying for battle! goodluck my exam is tomorrow!!
thank you so much this really helped, I really appreciate it :smile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/z6chkmn

Have you downloaded the spec and the sample papers?
yeah i feel you :frown:
my teacher is quite lazy and he expects everyone to know what he's going on about xD
i think we're going to have a big mark question too and a useful tip about analysing the music they play is "what instruments, when they play, the effect it has" kind of like an english paragraph! ^^
for example, a drum roll can be heard at the beginning which builds up suspense and tension, which also represents soldiers readying for battle! goodluck my exam is tomorrow!!

omg I hope it all goes well!! and yeah that's the same w my teacher he's just like annotate the setworks and revise and when I do revise im not kidding I get like 1 or 2 marks LOL.
Original post by Muttley79
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/z6chkmn

Have you downloaded the spec and the sample papers?

yes I have, I've also made revision cards for the night before when I do the past papers. the only thing that i haven't gone over is the techniques.

i do eduquas so this might be different if you don’t be we have a long 10 marker describing a piece of music and u to pu need to use DR P SMITH for this, it really helps you stay on track
for the set works i like to print of blank copies of the scores and try to annotate from memory and then check back with my annotated score, it really helps me learn the key facts of the piece and things like ornaments
also my school subscribes go focus on sound which is an amazing website to revise from if your school has it

I did edexcel for music gcse a couple years ago, Star Wars was my fav piece (very short and clear sections lmao)

To revise I made lists for each piece with the main examples of all the key categories (harmony+tonality, melody, rhythm+tempo, there are more but i can’t remember!), probably including 4-5 examples for each category for every set work as well as the context for each piece (like the key features of music from the classical +romantic periods and how the piano pathétique sonata was a crossover between the two etc.) :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest