The Student Room Group

Punctuation: Would you capitlise the following?

Which one is right?

In the Engineering department, you can study: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering...

In the Engineering department, you can study: civil engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering...

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn’t capitalise any of those words except the first word of the sentence.
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I wouldn’t capitalise any of those words except the first word of the sentence.

So you'd only capitalise 'in'?
Original post by KimmyKim96

Yes.

Yes, From my limited knowledge they aren't nouns so don't need to be capitalised.
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Yes, From my limited knowledge they aren't nouns so don't need to be capitalised.

So what are they if not nouns???
I'd say they do need capitalising cos they're all names of subjects aren't they? Pretty sure names need capitals....
Reply 7
Original post by spectrum84
I'd say they do need capitalising cos they're all names of subjects aren't they? Pretty sure names need capitals....

This is the exact reason why i thought to capitalise them. But everyone else thinks otherwise... i'm still not sure
Reply 8
This is the exact reason why i thought to capitalise them. But everyone else thinks otherwise... i'm still not sure

I'd capitalise but I think it looks better, it may in fact be wrong to do so.
I'd capitalise them, because subject names usually are capitalised: English Language, Further Maths, Triple Science (from what I have seen anyway)
In general, the names of specific courses or modules should have capitals. If they aren't the names of courses or modules, they don't take capitals.
Original post by ageshallnot
So what are they if not nouns???

Nouns are capitalised. I'm saying that these aren't nouns so they don't need to be capitalised.
Nouns are capitalised. I'm saying that these aren't nouns so they don't need to be capitalised.

Only some nouns take capital letters, and those words are most definitely nouns.
Original post by Theloniouss
Only some nouns take capital letters, and those words are most definitely nouns.

Well.. I did say I have limited knowledge.. I got a 4 in Eng GCSE :redface:
If you are using them as proper nouns they should all be capitalised.
For instance if you were to say

The Department of Engineering (if that is its name) then you would capitalise.

As someone said further up if these were the names of courses you would capitalise (Chemical Engineering BSc etc) but as they are just sub topics of engineering then they wouldn’t be capitalised.

For subjects if you were saying you were taking
A-level Chemistry-you would capitalise as it’s the name of the course. If you just said you were studying chemistry then you wouldn’t capitalise as it isn’t a proper noun.
Which one is right?

In the Engineering department, you can study: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering...

In the Engineering department, you can study: civil engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering...

The first sentence is better
Subject names don’t need capitalising unless it’s something like English/French/Spanish/Latin, I believe. I admit that I struggle not to as it looks wrong, but unless the style model tells you otherwise you don’t capitalise it (credit to my boyfriend for trying to educate me about this or I’d be clueless).
I capitalise both course and department titles, but that's because I work in admissions and it's important to be clear whether I'm referring to a specific programme/faculty or the subject at large.
Well.. I did say I have limited knowledge.. I got a 4 in Eng GCSE :redface:

A noun is a person, name or thing. And proper nouns have capitals. Proper nouns are names of people, cities, places etc.
Hey kim

Quick Reply

Latest