The Student Room Group

I might dropout from university, help?

Okay so I am panicking right now and my anxiety is through the roof. I have just realized what I had gotten my self into. Okay a little background story about me, I am 19 years old and recently enrolled in university to do BCS Biomedical science, but a little before this (2 years ago) I sat my A levels and failed all three due to my mental health issues - I wanted to do psychology but they said I have to do science foundation year which I did and passed, I later transitioned to biomedical sciences thinking this was a better career path than psychology.

Now, as can been seen by my A level grades, I am not by any means academically smart so this was a huge decision for me. Fast forward to this week I finally realised I don't think I belong on this course, I am struggling with the content as all my previous biology knowledge came from gcses and foundation year science (which i barely scraped) . And the thought that It will only get harder in the second and third year of uni haunts me as I know I am not that good academically.

Just recently I have been reading posts/forums saying biomedical science is harder than medicine which scares the sh*t out of me as I loved science at gcse but in UNI its a different ball game. I am also scared that all my time will consist of studying and not having a social life as that is the only thing that keeps my mental health in check. On top of this I don't know what career path I want to do and using this degree as a tool to get a job. My parents favour education above everything but what is the point if I know I will end up failing after 3 years.

I really don't know what to do. I have been crying this whole week just confused.
Original post by 31shotscrazy
Okay so I am panicking right now and my anxiety is through the roof. I have just realized what I had gotten my self into. Okay a little background story about me, I am 19 years old and recently enrolled in university to do BCS Biomedical science, but a little before this (2 years ago) I sat my A levels and failed all three due to my mental health issues - I wanted to do psychology but they said I have to do science foundation year which I did and passed, I later transitioned to biomedical sciences thinking this was a better career path than psychology.

Now, as can been seen by my A level grades, I am not by any means academically smart so this was a huge decision for me. Fast forward to this week I finally realised I don't think I belong on this course, I am struggling with the content as all my previous biology knowledge came from gcses and foundation year science (which i barely scraped) . And the thought that It will only get harder in the second and third year of uni haunts me as I know I am not that good academically.

Just recently I have been reading posts/forums saying biomedical science is harder than medicine which scares the sh*t out of me as I loved science at gcse but in UNI its a different ball game. I am also scared that all my time will consist of studying and not having a social life as that is the only thing that keeps my mental health in check. On top of this I don't know what career path I want to do and using this degree as a tool to get a job. My parents favour education above everything but what is the point if I know I will end up failing after 3 years.

I really don't know what to do. I have been crying this whole week just confused.

Hello, first of congratulations on choosing this topic. I would say talk your parents and help them to understand where you are coming from. Perhaps a guidance counsellor as well to see is you can handle the transition.
Talk. You've started here. Talk to your tutor, to a student counsellor, to student union support services. Find out what your options are.
Reply 3
I currently study BMS (2nd) and also didnt do as well as I thought in my A levels. With friends who do medicine I can guarrantee that medicine is way harder and much more intense.If you like human biology, I would consider continuing, the course is hard like all uni courses but it is very enjoyable, talk to tutors, friends, parents, be honest about how you feel and try and decide if you want a career in biology, if so i would say continue.
Dw bro am in a similar situation like you, finding software engineering tough aswell
Original post by egan21w
I currently study BMS (2nd) and also didnt do as well as I thought in my A levels. With friends who do medicine I can guarrantee that medicine is way harder and much more intense.If you like human biology, I would consider continuing, the course is hard like all uni courses but it is very enjoyable, talk to tutors, friends, parents, be honest about how you feel and try and decide if you want a career in biology, if so i would say continue.

I have an interest in human biology but I don’t necessarily want to have a career in science for the rest of my life, my true interests are marketing and finance.
How is Biomedical Science harder than medicine ?
I have an interest in human biology but I don’t necessarily want to have a career in science for the rest of my life, my true interests are marketing and finance.

Have you spoken to your lecturers and tutors about the troubles you’re having? Have you sought help from your university’s student support team? These are all good places to start as they can provide you with extra support and may point you in the right direction e.g. extra resources or any adjustments for your mental health conditions.

Regarding your last point about working in marketing and finance, a biomedical degree is actually quite versatile so you don’t necessarily have to do a science job forever. My friend has the same degree and she works in a bank.
Reply 8
Most people struggle in their 1st year.
Now, I may be wrong here but I suspect you only need to pass the first year in order to progress to the 2nd year.
A pass is something like 40% across all your modules.
Getting 40% is not that hard.

Personally, I'd just see the year out and see if it improves. Your first year grades usually have no impact on your final degree classifcation. So just try your best and see how you get along.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Have you spoken to your lecturers and tutors about the troubles you’re having? Have you sought help from your university’s student support team? These are all good places to start as they can provide you with extra support and may point you in the right direction e.g. extra resources or any adjustments for your mental health conditions.

Regarding your last point about working in marketing and finance, a biomedical degree is actually quite versatile so you don’t necessarily have to do a science job forever. My friend has the same degree and she works in a bank.

Thank you for the insight, i feel better now.
Original post by adam271
Most people struggle in their 1st year.
Now, I may be wrong here but I suspect you only need to pass the first year in order to progress to the 2nd year.
A pass is something like 40% across all your modules.
Getting 40% is not that hard.

Personally, I'd just see the year out and see if it improves. Your first year grades usually have no impact on your final degree classifcation. So just try your best and see how you get along.

Yep, just gonna put in the work and hope I make it to the 3rd year. Thanks
Thank you for the insight, i feel better now.

That’s good to hear :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending