The Student Room Group

Would I be in debt with universal credit?

I'm going to get paid from my job but they are going to pay me after the 2 weeks of uc paying me as I need to work there for a month before they pay me. Its a zero hour contract.
UC is generally paid in arrears so assuming you told them when you expected to work/get paid you shouldn't end up in debt to them. They're a lot better about stuff like that than they used to be.

When I was zero hours I had to notify them every week/2 weeks of what my earnings had been and they took it into account as my boss didn't do the auto PAYE thing.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
UC is generally paid in arrears so assuming you told them when you expected to work/get paid you shouldn't end up in debt to them. They're a lot better about stuff like that than they used to be.

When I was zero hours I had to notify them every week/2 weeks of what my earnings had been and they took it into account as my boss didn't do the auto PAYE thing.

How do I notify them of my hours it doesn't ask me to when I log in?
Original post by Anonymous
How do I notify them of my hours it doesn't ask me to when I log in?

It's been a bit since I used it but I'd either pop in in person every 2 weeks with my payslip (likely not an option just now) or I'd add the details as a basic journal entry on the UC system. There wasn't a specific 'hours' screen I filled in.

At a basic level your obligation is to inform them of the work you did and what you were paid, that's about it. Figuring out what you owe/get ect is supposed to be their problem.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
It's been a bit since I used it but I'd either pop in in person every 2 weeks with my payslip (likely not an option just now) or I'd add the details as a basic journal entry on the UC system. There wasn't a specific 'hours' screen I filled in.

At a basic level your obligation is to inform them of the work you did and what you were paid, that's about it. Figuring out what you owe/get ect is supposed to be their problem.

Oh okay so I just add a note for my work coach of the hours I've worked or does my work notify them of the hours I've worked? I don't get paid till 2 weeks after my uc payment so I still need the money. My work coach hadn't explained what I need to do properly.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh okay so I just add a note for my work coach of the hours I've worked or does my work notify them of the hours I've worked? I don't get paid till 2 weeks after my uc payment so I still need the money. My work coach hadn't explained what I need to do properly.

This will depend on your employer and how you're paid really, some employers report your earnings directly as part of their payroll, some don't and you're responsible for it at the end of the day, easiest to ask them which.

In either case i'd pop on a basic note for my work coach what work i doing, how many hours and how much I earned, they might well get back and ask you to record hours & payments manually until know for sure how you are paid.

If there does end up being some sort of overpayment they will initially be pretty pretty chill about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending