The Student Room Group

Job secondment opportunity

I currently have a full time job which I’ve been in for a year now, before that I was an apprentice for 3 months in the same sort of area. My colleague has recently moved from my team to a new team and has recommended I apply for a new job in the same area. It looks like a great opportunity, but I would feel guilty for applying.

I have managed two people’s workload alone for a year now and they are finally hiring the other role, but only as a temp. I’ve been asked to help interview and feel like if I apply for the new job I would look ungrateful.

The new job I would be applying for is a secondment for a year, does anybody have any advice please?

Thanks
Original post by Chloe_maria08
I currently have a full time job which I’ve been in for a year now, before that I was an apprentice for 3 months in the same sort of area. My colleague has recently moved from my team to a new team and has recommended I apply for a new job in the same area. It looks like a great opportunity, but I would feel guilty for applying.

I have managed two people’s workload alone for a year now and they are finally hiring the other role, but only as a temp. I’ve been asked to help interview and feel like if I apply for the new job I would look ungrateful.

The new job I would be applying for is a secondment for a year, does anybody have any advice please?

Thanks

Read the small print/ask your HR department, but you usually have to have the permission of your line manager to apply for a secondment. That means it has to be an open process, not like just applying for another job. In which case, you might as well just talk to your line manager up front and explain why you think the secondment would be of benefit to you and your current team/role and ask them what they think about you applying for it.
Original post by threeportdrift
Read the small print/ask your HR department, but you usually have to have the permission of your line manager to apply for a secondment. That means it has to be an open process, not like just applying for another job. In which case, you might as well just talk to your line manager up front and explain why you think the secondment would be of benefit to you and your current team/role and ask them what they think about you applying for it.

I agree
Seconding read the tiny print properly. Make brief notes or ask questions to clarify understanding. Also talk to your line manager for support and help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending