The Student Room Group

Can you drop out of uni to take a gap year?

I am currently in my first year of uni, and i just feel like I need a gap year as Im unsure about what I even want to do as im not even all that interested in the course im doing. So is it possible to drop out although I've already started my course to take this first year off, or is that not possible as the loans have already been paid to the uni and me?
Reply 1
You can take up to 4 years to get your degree, this allows for people to drop out to return later, re-take years, or to change degree programmes. I think that there are some complications with student status in regards to council tax, and you'd have to discuss with specific halls about getting out of contracts or whether you'd be allowed to stay (if you'd like).
Any maintenance loan received after you drop out will have to be paid back - don't touch it. My friend was caught out after dropping out after first term of first year and continued to receive maintenance loan even though she had updated SFE - she thought that due to it being an admin error on their side that she would be able to keep the money. However, they asked her to pay it all back in bulk come August, or she would have gotten that amount taken off of her allowance for her next year - made for a very stressful August as she was returning to uni
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently in my first year of uni, and i just feel like I need a gap year as Im unsure about what I even want to do as im not even all that interested in the course im doing. So is it possible to drop out although I've already started my course to take this first year off, or is that not possible as the loans have already been paid to the uni and me?

Yes.
You can drop out, and you can probably suspend your studies as well.

But you have likely already blown 1 year of student finance (you only get 4 years total...)

Quick Reply

Latest