The Student Room Group

Student finance after course change/withdrawal

If I’ve started a sports science course, then changed to foundation games design (only like a week ago) but realised I’m just not ready for uni yet and the stress is too much for me - but would like to work for a while, will I be able to come back in like 5 years time and still get finance?how many years would I get if any? My course hasn’t updated/changed on student finance just yet by the way. Thank you.
Original post by Willc2705
If I’ve started a sports science course, then changed to foundation games design (only like a week ago) but realised I’m just not ready for uni yet and the stress is too much for me - but would like to work for a while, will I be able to come back in like 5 years time and still get finance?how many years would I get if any? My course hasn’t updated/changed on student finance just yet by the way. Thank you.

Are they in the same academic year?
Sounds like they could be at the same uni?
Do a timeline for me along with time spent on course.

Also have you seen your GP?
Have you been diagnosed with anxiety or depression as your reason for leaving?

You cna come back whenever you wish. the bigger question is how much financial entitlement you will have.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Are they in the same academic year?
Sounds like they could be at the same uni?
Do a timeline for me along with time spent on course.

Also have you seen your GP?
Have you been diagnosed with anxiety or depression as your reason for leaving?

You cna come back whenever you wish. the bigger question is how much financial entitlement you will have.

thank you for your reply! Both this year 2020/2021. 6 weeks sports 1 week game design give or take a few days. Both the same university. I’ve received one payment. I haven’t seen my GP, I have had help from CAMHS and school counsellors before (about 2 years ago) originally for self harm and anxiety. They did mention by the end using a lot of methods/approaches used for people with depression but they don’t really do diagnosis. I managed to get through to a person on student finances this morning who seemed to think I would be all okay as I would only have used one year up despite the course change given they’re in the same academic year and you get length of course + 1. I don’t know for sure if I would come back or even when but I’d be gutted to not at least have the opportunity (not sure I’d be able to pay a year myself). Thank you so so much for your help.
thank you for your reply! Both this year 2020/2021. 6 weeks sports 1 week game design give or take a few days. Both the same university. I’ve received one payment. I haven’t seen my GP, I have had help from CAMHS and school counsellors before (about 2 years ago) originally for self harm and anxiety. They did mention by the end using a lot of methods/approaches used for people with depression but they don’t really do diagnosis. I managed to get through to a person on student finances this morning who seemed to think I would be all okay as I would only have used one year up despite the course change given they’re in the same academic year and you get length of course + 1. I don’t know for sure if I would come back or even when but I’d be gutted to not at least have the opportunity (not sure I’d be able to pay a year myself). Thank you so so much for your help.

Its fine.
You can stay as long as the year allows, but I suggest you get a diagnosis and Drs letter then formally withdraw, saying depression made worse by CV 19. Make this clear on your form. If needed use uni counselling services and get a letter from them as well as the GP. That could prove very useful in future . I would feel confident such claims are going to be very common with CV19. By doing it this way, then should you ever need to make a CPR claim in future you will have the evidence at hand to try and get this years funding set aside. That could make you having used zero years up.

Its not the healthiest to be at uni now, so by all means leave (notwithstanding your accommodation) and get better. Your uni funding will always be in place for you. That could be in 5,10,20 years whenever you feel ready and able.

You will be 100% fine as far as finance goes. No need to worry at all. I was just checking they werent going to deduct 2 years as people often post things ambiguously Talke your time and reassure your parents its best to have good MH so you can perform better and also be happier.
Hope that sets your mind at ease.

Its the smart thing to do as there are many threads with people with unresolved MH issues who go to uni, but that makes things worse rather than better.

Take a gap, do an apprenticeship, resit exams, get a job etc. After you get your MH sorted then you can do some career research to make sure you id the right time, right uni and right course/ career. Drop me a line if you get stuck.
Reply 4
Its fine.
You can stay as long as the year allows, but I suggest you get a diagnosis and Drs letter then formally withdraw, saying depression made worse by CV 19. Make this clear on your form. If needed use uni counselling services and get a letter from them as well as the GP. That could prove very useful in future . I would feel confident such claims are going to be very common with CV19. By doing it this way, then should you ever need to make a CPR claim in future you will have the evidence at hand to try and get this years funding set aside. That could make you having used zero years up.

Its not the healthiest to be at uni now, so by all means leave (notwithstanding your accommodation) and get better. Your uni funding will always be in place for you. That could be in 5,10,20 years whenever you feel ready and able.

You will be 100% fine as far as finance goes. No need to worry at all. I was just checking they werent going to deduct 2 years as people often post things ambiguously Talke your time and reassure your parents its best to have good MH so you can perform better and also be happier.

Its the smart thing to do as there are many threads with people with unresolved MH issues who go to uni, but that makes things worse rather than better.

Take a gap, do an apprenticeship, resit exams, get a job etc. After you get your MH sorted then you can do some career research to make sure you id the right time, right uni and right course/ career. Drop me a line if you get stuck.

Thank you so much for your reply. It’s very calming and relaxing to hear from someone clearly putting in so much time to help. And it definitely doesn’t matter that this is a foundation course? I have spoken to my parents now and all seems okay, I may go back to my home town for a while where most of family and friends are to clear my head for a while and get a “stress free” part time job.
Reply 5
Hi could you please reply to this? Very nervous and you definitely helped reassure me.
Thank you so much for your reply. It’s very calming and relaxing to hear from someone clearly putting in so much time to help. And it definitely doesn’t matter that this is a foundation course? I have spoken to my parents now and all seems okay, I may go back to my home town for a while where most of family and friends are to clear my head for a while and get a “stress free” part time job.

Its fine.

Hi could you please reply to this? Very nervous and you definitely helped reassure me.

Nope because they can only deduct 1 year and you followed the advice I gave you by getting a letter from the GP plus leaving on that basis i.e health reasons. You can apply for uni whenever you like in the future. I would suggest you dont do foundation courses unless you have very good reason and you are throughly in a great place with regards to MH. If things go wrong whilst being on a foundation course then it can be much more problematic going forward. Your current situation is fine as it looks like an internal transfer and the new course is soemthing that barely registered.

Ask on the sfe forum if you need further assurance, but I would be quite happy with the finance if I was in the situation.
Reply 7
Nope because they can only deduct 1 year and you followed the advice I gave you by getting a letter from the GP plus leaving on that basis i.e health reasons. You can apply for uni whenever you like in the future. I would suggest you dont do foundation courses unless you have very good reason and you are throughly in a great place with regards to MH. If things go wrong whilst being on a foundation course then it can be much more problematic going forward. Your current situation is fine as it looks like an internal transfer and the new course is soemthing that barely registered.

Ask on the sfe forum if you need further assurance, but I would be quite happy with the finance if I was in the situation.

Okay thank you. I haven’t actually withdrawn yet but am planning to this week. What exactly should i do? Obviously fill in the form etc but what should i do to get the year wiped and what order? I certainly will go to the GP to sort it out but out of curiosity how many years would they deduct if i just left regularly? I understand ghat and agree about foundation courses in future. Thank you so much.
Okay thank you. I haven’t actually withdrawn yet but am planning to this week. What exactly should i do? Obviously fill in the form etc but what should i do to get the year wiped and what order? I certainly will go to the GP to sort it out but out of curiosity how many years would they deduct if i just left regularly? I understand ghat and agree about foundation courses in future. Thank you so much.

Your uni will have a withdrawal procedure and it will be on the website or just google it. That tells you what to do. will normally involve a form and getting some signatures. Better to have the GP or counsellors letter, but state you are unhappy anbd feel depressed or anxious
about the course and uni and its harming your MH. If you say you leave because its the wrong course= wont work. You have to say you leave due to compelling personal reasons i.e health forcing you out. Am sure have linked you before on how it all works. If this is your first year of any uni then the reason to go to this trouble is a future insurance plan. You must get it evidenced, so that if you need to make a cpr claim you have the evidence from the uni and GP what happened and why it was cpr.
Reply 9
Your uni will have a withdrawal procedure and it will be on the website or just google it. That tells you what to do. will normally involve a form and getting some signatures. Better to have the GP or counsellors letter, but state you are unhappy anbd feel depressed or anxious
about the course and uni and its harming your MH. If you say you leave because its the wrong course= wont work. You have to say you leave due to compelling personal reasons i.e health forcing you out. Am sure have linked you before on how it all works. If this is your first year of any uni then the reason to go to this trouble is a future insurance plan. You must get it evidenced, so that if you need to make a cpr claim you have the evidence from the uni and GP what happened and why it was cpr.

Okay thank you, I understand. They have a withdrawal form to fill out, what exactly do i do with a GP letter? Attach it in the email to the university or just keep it for future reference. I definitely will do it i was just wondering how many years they would deduct otherwise.
Reply 10
Okay thank you, I understand. They have a withdrawal form to fill out, what exactly do i do with a GP letter? Attach it in the email to the university or just keep it for future reference. I definitely will do it i was just wondering how many years they would deduct otherwise.

Another point-anything i look at involving cpr only talks about a suspension of studies not a withdrawal-does this matter?
Another point-anything i look at involving cpr only talks about a suspension of studies not a withdrawal-does this matter?

1 year.
No it amounts to the same thing read the CPR links I gave you.
Reply 12
1 year.
No it amounts to the same thing read the CPR links I gave you.

Hi, really sorry if I’m being stupid but I don’t see any links? You seem to helping a lot of people on here so perhaps you’re mistaking me for someone else? Apologies if its my fault. Right now i should just withdraw citing mental health COVID worsened etc, then get a gp letter which i should use when i apply for cpr if ever need it. Do I apply for cpr now or whenever i need it?
Hi, really sorry if I’m being stupid but I don’t see any links? You seem to helping a lot of people on here so perhaps you’re mistaking me for someone else? Apologies if its my fault. Right now i should just withdraw citing mental health COVID worsened etc, then get a gp letter which i should use when i apply for cpr if ever need it. Do I apply for cpr now or whenever i need it?

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf

https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/pageassets/selfhelp-money/A-guide-to-Compelling-Personal-Reasons.pdf
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/studentsupport/resources/aims/guides/How-to-apply-for-further-discretionary-funding-due-to-compelling-personal-reasons.pdf
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending