The Student Room Group

is biology, maths and psychology good a levels?

i have no idea what i want to do (i want a job where i can help people tho) so i think these subjects are wide. they're really content heavy so do you think i'll struggle??
i was going to do chemistry but i've heard maths was easier
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annqbellex
i have no idea what i want to do (i want a job where i can help people tho) so i think these subjects are wide. they're really content heavy so do you think i'll struggle??
i'm was going to do chemistry but i've heard maths was easier

Hey, I do chemistry a level. It’s hard, but with proper preparation straightforward. That sounds like a good combo; you can go into medicine, bio, chem or social sciences at uni

I wouldn’t do maths unless you achieved at least an 8 at a level, as your other subjects aren’t mathsy and you may struggle without extra practice
biology is very content heavy based . but definitely manageable if you enjoy it. for me maths is easier than chemistry but i definitely wouldn't say it's easy. maths is a good a-level to have cos it is useful to a lot of degrees . psychology isn't a facilitating subject so isn't as favoured as the other two but it overlaps quite a lot with biology. as long as you enjoy these subjects tho you'll be fine :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Terablitz259
Hey, I do chemistry a level. It’s hard, but with proper preparation straightforward. That sounds like a good combo; you can go into medicine, bio, chem or social sciences at uni

I wouldn’t do maths unless you achieved at least an 8 at a level, as your other subjects aren’t mathsy and you may struggle without extra practice

yeah i really like chemistry because you can do so many degrees in the science field and sadly i haven't gotten an 8 in maths yet. problem is i've done better in maths than chem

Original post by c1student
biology is very content heavy based . but definitely manageable if you enjoy it. for me maths is easier than chemistry but i definitely wouldn't say it's easy. maths is a good a-level to have cos it is useful to a lot of degrees . psychology isn't a facilitating subject so isn't as favoured as the other two but it overlaps quite a lot with biology. as long as you enjoy these subjects tho you'll be fine :wink:

i enjoy biology so far and psychology seems really interesting, but unfortunately i hate chemistry (didn't have a good teacher) and i don't mind maths. problem is e.g most medicine degrees want chemistry
yeah i really like chemistry because you can do so many degrees in the science field and sadly i haven't gotten an 8 in maths yet. problem is i've done better in maths than chem

i enjoy biology so far and psychology seems really interesting, but unfortunately i hate chemistry (didn't have a good teacher) and i don't mind maths. problem is e.g most medicine degrees want chemistry

yh true - you could take chem as a fourth a-level and see how it goes ? and then drop one after a few weeks
Reply 5
Original post by c1student
yh true - you could take chem as a fourth a-level and see how it goes ? and then drop one after a few weeks

oo that's a good idea,, i'll consider it, tyy :smile:
Hiya I do this exact combo bio, psych and maths
Im a few months into year 12 so don't think I'll be that much help but all I can say is biology is VERY content heavy and so is psychology. I'm currently struggling with maths and I got an A* in GCSE maths (did it a few years early) but I think that's just a lack of practice on my behalf. Personally i find chemistry wayyy harder than maths and it is one of the hardest A levels but so is maths.
What careers are you looking into? Sorry I couldn't be much help please do ask any questions and I'll try my best to help.
You don’t need a grade 8 in GCSE to be good at A level maths.
Reply 8
Original post by cryinqclouds
Hiya I do this exact combo bio, psych and maths
Im a few months into year 12 so don't think I'll be that much help but all I can say is biology is VERY content heavy and so is psychology. I'm currently struggling with maths and I got an A* in GCSE maths (did it a few years early) but I think that's just a lack of practice on my behalf. Personally i find chemistry wayyy harder than maths and it is one of the hardest A levels but so is maths.
What careers are you looking into? Sorry I couldn't be much help please do ask any questions and I'll try my best to help.

either somewhere in the medicine or psychology, but i don't know if i can do medicine since i don't like chem

Original post by CaptainDuckie
You don’t need a grade 8 in GCSE to be good at A level maths.

the entry level is 7 - 9 and i only got a 6 in my first mock (needed a few marks to get a 7 tho)
They’re fine i did those and chemistry and got As and A*s
the entry level is 7 - 9 and i only got a 6 in my first mock (needed a few marks to get a 7 tho)

You should be fine. Even a grade 6 is fine for A level maths. A level maths is more about practice & passion. If you genuinely have an interest in maths then you’ll have no issues with it.

A level maths is more due to effort
(edited 3 years ago)
You should be fine. Even a grade 6 is fine for A level maths. A level maths is more about practice

i won't lie i'm not a big fan of maths but i prefer it over chemistry
i won't lie i'm not a big fan of maths but i prefer it over chemistry

Then do maths. I find A level maths decent, it just requires huge amounts of practice. Couple of classmates have gotten a grade 6 are basically on a similar level to me. As long as you just try, you’ll have no issues.
either somewhere in the medicine or psychology, but i don't know if i can do medicine since i don't like chem

I was in the exact same position as you a few months ago but with medicine and maths! But i realised medicine was not for me and chemistry is not my cup of tea at all. If you wanted to do psychology then those subjects would be fine but if medicine then you need chem. Why don't you try looking into allied health professions
Then do maths. I find A level maths decent, it just requires huge amounts of practice. Couple of classmates have gotten a grade 6 are basically on a similar level to me. As long as you just try, you’ll have no issues.

Hey man, which year are you in? Some of the year 2 calculus gets hard for people who don’t do lots of maths externally. I do further maths as well which helps, but without that it’s a big time commitment to practice and lots of people struggle
biology and psychology overlap so they're good together. psychology involves some maths so maths would be good aswell
Hey man, which year are you in? Some of the year 2 calculus gets hard for people who don’t do lots of maths externally. I do further maths as well which helps, but without that it’s a big time commitment to practice and lots of people struggle

Year 13.

I don’t do maths externally but still get decent grades. I don’t do further maths either so that’s not always true. You don’t need to do further maths to get a good grade at maths. I was going to pick further maths alongside biology and chemistry but most universities (if not all) want 3 A levels as their standard requirement. So it’s just unnecessary.
Year 13.

I don’t do maths externally but still get decent grades. I don’t do further maths either so that’s not always true. You don’t need to do further maths to get a good grade at maths. I was going to pick further maths alongside biology and chemistry but most universities (if not all) want 3 A levels as their standard requirement. So it’s just unnecessary.

Yup, totally agree. Chemistry requires more abstract thinking along with psychology, so it depends on op’s strengths and weaknesses. My point is that some people who don’t do physics or further maths need to spend a lot of time practicing with little overlap to their other subjects; if you’re getting good grades well done:smile:
Yup, totally agree. Chemistry requires more abstract thinking along with psychology, so it depends on op’s strengths and weaknesses. My point is that some people who don’t do physics or further maths need to spend a lot of time practicing with little overlap to their other subjects; if you’re getting good grades well done:smile:

We haven’t finished the content yet, to an extent, of being tested. So can’t really comment on my grades but I get A*’s on my homework sheets / mini tests. So thank you, I guess.

Again, not true. You don’t need to spend a “little” more time, they can spend the exact same time as they do for their other subjects. As long as you make time for maths or your subjects, you will have no problems with having to spend more time on it.
We haven’t finished the content yet, to an extent, of being tested. So can’t really comment on my grades but I get A*’s on my homework sheets / mini tests. So thank you, I guess.

Again, not true. You don’t need to spend a “little” more time, they can spend the exact same time as they do for their other subjects. As long as you make time for maths or your subjects, you will have no problems with having to spend more time on it.

I disagree. Maths is a discipline which you only get good at with practice, whereas biology is much more content based. The strategies for revising for each are completely different, and at my school a lot of mathematicians are struggling. The more you do maths in any form the better you get, hence why I said not doing other maths subjects makes the a level harder

Still possible to get an A* with enough practice, but they will find it harder than a physics or f maths student

Quick Reply

Latest