The Student Room Group

I should be losing weight but I'm not. Why?

I'm a 15y/o female, 57kg, 5ft7. Aside from maybe one or two days a week I stick to a 1200 calorie diet, only going over to a max of 1600 or 1700 calories, at which I usually do more exercise. I walk for at least 30 mins everyday in the week and I do pushups and situps each night. Despite my efforts I still end up with a bulging, rounded stomach... According to research I should be losing weight, not gaining it... Can anyone help?
Your quite tall and a healthy weight imo. But your calorie input has to be lower than output. If you burn 2500 calories, you should take in about 1000. Sit ups and press ups are muscle building exercises, but try doing other exercises too or just vary the exercises you do. Try russian twists, wind wipers, boat pose for abs. For your arms try like holding pushups (so go down, hold it for 4 breaths, then come up). But you are doing well, just increase the intensity of your exercise.

I have some attachments but its not letting me upload them for some reason.... good luck on your weight loss journey.
How are you tracking calories?
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
Your quite tall and a healthy weight imo. But your calorie input has to be lower than output. If you burn 2500 calories, you should take in about 1000. Sit ups and press ups are muscle building exercises, but try doing other exercises too or just vary the exercises you do. Try russian twists, wind wipers, boat pose for abs. For your arms try like holding pushups (so go down, hold it for 4 breaths, then come up). But you are doing well, just increase the intensity of your exercise.

I have some attachments but its not letting me upload them for some reason.... good luck on your weight loss journey.

1500 calorie deficit?
Reply 4
Original post by Shadow Wo1f
I'm a 15y/o female, 57kg, 5ft7. Aside from maybe one or two days a week I stick to a 1200 calorie diet, only going over to a max of 1600 or 1700 calories, at which I usually do more exercise. I walk for at least 30 mins everyday in the week and I do pushups and situps each night. Despite my efforts I still end up with a bulging, rounded stomach... According to research I should be losing weight, not gaining it... Can anyone help?

Why do you think you need to lose weight?

If you are doing this to target your stomach, you can't spot reduce and anyway, you are still growing and developing so shouldn't worry about it for now.
If you burn 2500 calories, you should take in about 1000.

Please don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.
Original post by Shadow Wo1f

Your BMI is 19.7 by my calculations. That would indicate that you don't need to lose weight, although your age may need to be taken into account. Concentrate on eating healthily, and exercise. Adding muscle will increase your baseline calorie usage.

If you really still want to lose weight, please see your Doctor or a Dietitian - they can give professional advice.
(edited 3 years ago)

No not at all if you burn 2500 kcal, you should not enter a 1.5k kcals deficit by eating 1000kcal, 2000kcals is the minimum imo.
Reply 8
You're at a healthy weight for your height and only 15. I suggest you speak to your GP if you have a concern about your weight.
Reply 9
well, im no professional but dont cut off your meals everyday just because you are concerned about belly fat. if you do that all out of sudden you may have gastritis and trust me, you wouldn't want gastritis at young age, im 16 y/o female and i know how difficult its to sleep, eat and relax while having gastritis. so don't worry about belly fat right now. they may help you in future for a nice and healthy body.
I agree with the above commenters - you're 15. Your body isn't done developing yet, and your weight is very healthy. I would strongly advise against trying to lose weight right now. It's natural to have some belly fat if you're female and it's not sensible to try and get rid of it entirely. Especially as - again! - you're 15.

Also, shame on all the commenters suggesting insane calorie deficits or just pushing more with the weight loss. That is frankly dangerous advice for someone so young and at a healthy weight to begin with.

Source: am studying a master's in public health at a leading university.

Quick Reply

Latest