The Student Room Group

Choosing not to go to school

Obviously, with the current situation right now school is not safe. I know that some schools are doing everything.. but my school has one of the highest amounts of cases in the county and it feels like they're doing nothing. Masks are worn, but that's it. A teacher walked past me today without a mask on. Bubbling between year groups does not work. There is no one-way system and I am fed up.
My mother is a key worker and works with COVID-19 patients, and she sees how it affects people and who it effects, and she says it's mostly diabetics. My dad is diabetic. Which means me going to school and my Mum going to work makes it so much worse for him and I can't help but feel bad and worried for him every time I come home.

Basically, if I choose to stay off school (till the end of this term, Dec 18) - can I be punished? I know I'll get unauthorised absence, but will that go to the unis I've applied to? Will it affect me in any way? I can still get online classes and I know I can survive that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by natily
Obviously, with the current situation right now school is not safe. I know that some schools are doing everything.. but my school has one of the highest amounts of cases in the county and it feels like they're doing nothing. Masks are worn, but that's it. A teacher walked past me today without a mask on. Bubbling between year groups does not work. There is no one-way system and I am fed up.
My mother is a key worker and works with COVID-19 patients, and she sees how it affects people and who it effects, and she says it's mostly diabetics. My dad is diabetic. Which means me going to school and my Mum going to work makes it so much worse for him and I can't help but feel bad and worried for him every time I come home.

Basically, if I choose to stay off school - can I be punished? I know I'll get unauthorised absence, but will that go to the unis I've applied to? Will it affect me in any way? I can still get online classes and I know I can survive that.

Have your parents talked to the school about the risk to your dad? Has he been told to shield?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Have your parents talked to the school about the risk to your dad? Has he been told to shield?

No, he has not been told to shield because the Government is incompetent in recognizing people who actually need to shield vs those too lazy to go to work (trust me I know someone that put down every illness they've ever had just so they could shield).

I have not yet spoken to the school because my school is very strict and I know that the headmistress will not accept me leaving school, especially as I'm in year 13.
Original post by natily
No, he has not been told to shield because the Government is incompetent in recognizing people who actually need to shield vs those too lazy to go to work (trust me I know someone that put down every illness they've ever had just so they could shield).

I have not yet spoken to the school because my school is very strict and I know that the headmistress will not accept me leaving school, especially as I'm in year 13.

If you are happy teaching yourself or let your parents take over your schooling then she cant stop you withdrawing, but you have to sort everything else out yourself as well as your exams.

I am not sure stating the government is incompetent is going to be that persuasive.

If you choose to stay off school whilst still registered there, then they can fine your parents.

Maybe contact your GP and ask if your dad will be on the priority list for the vaccine.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
If you are happy teaching yourself or let your parents take over your schooling then she cant stop you withdrawing, but you have to sort everything else out yourself as well as your exams.

I am not sure stating the government is incompetent is going to be that persuasive.

If you choose to stay off school whilst still registered there, then they can fine your parents.

Maybe contact your GP and ask if your dad will be on the priority list for the vaccine.

No I mean I still want to go to school - just not for the rest of this term, sorry I should've clarified that I'll edit my post now. I just mean doing online school like zoom meetings until next year.
Original post by natily
No I mean I still want to go to school - just not for the rest of this term, sorry I should've clarified that I'll edit my post now. I just mean doing online school like zoom meetings until next year.

Get your parents to speak to the school. Doesnt sound like they will listen to you much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending