The Student Room Group

Renting out

Hey:smile:,

I've got a q out of interest. I see rooms on spareroom often with an age bracket with them, e.g. minimum age 24 and maximum age as 40, 38 or even as low as 35:eek:. Out of interest, so does that then really mean that those 40 or above can't really rent out a room then or what? What do these guys do then at that age? Is it like the case that they're just expected to have bought their own property by then? Or what? :confused:. What happens if we think that potentially we might actually just continue renting even at that age, without own property sorted ? Is it normal for people these days to not have their own Flat/House sorted by that age? I guess so. So then what do these poor guys usually end up doing then ? I wonder.

Thnx:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
It is the preferred housemate age range to fit in with the other residents. :smile:
Sometimes people are flexible and open to considering potential tenants a little older or younger.
Many people will never be able to afford to buy a property and will have to rent for their whole working life.
Original post by londonmyst
It is the preferred housemate age range to fit in with the other residents. :smile:
Sometimes people are flexible and open to considering potential tenants a little older or younger.
Many people will never be able to afford to buy a property and will have to rent for their whole working life.

I see.
Cool.
Wow, I thought so too unfortunately. What if a person gets less favoured when it comes to securing a property bcos of their age? Does this happen? Or is like illegal bcos of equal opportunities/law? Or it just matters about who's got the money in their pocket and the desire for the property, i.e. locks it in fast enough to take it off the market by getting the holding deposit in ASAP ?
Original post by Anonymous370
I see. Cool.
Wow, I thought so too unfortunately. What if a person gets less favoured when it comes to securing a property bcos of their age? Does this happen? Or is like illegal bcos of equal opportunities/law? Or it just matters about who's got the money in their pocket and the desire for the property, i.e. locks it in fast enough to take it off the market by getting the holding deposit in ASAP ?

Yes.
In houseshares the existing tenants tend to favour a new tenant who they believe that they will enjoy sharing a home with, be most compatible with and who makes a positive first impression.
Sometimes, choosing the tenant without pets or a partner who is willing to pay 6 months rent upfront.
Remembering laws relating to houseshares seem to be the last thing on the mind of anyone I've ever lived with, rented from or worked with in the lettings agency business.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
In houseshares the existing tenants tend to favour a new tenant who they believe that they will enjoy sharing a home with, be most compatible with and who makes a positive first impression.
Sometimes, choosing the tenant without pets or a partner who is willing to pay 6 months rent upfront.
Remembering laws relating to houseshares seem to be the last thing on the mind of anyone I've ever lived with, rented from or worked with in the lettings agency business.

I see. Thanks. PRSOM :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending