The Student Room Group

science question!!

beta blockers—
some ppl get out of breath if they take beta blockers when they exercise.
explain why beta blockers have this effect during exercise

i do combined science and this is in a past paper i found for revision for tomorows biology mock! i dont remember learning this
have you learnt anything about beta blockers at all? it could be some kind of application of knowledge question. I don't remember learning them at gcse, and I don't think they're mentioned at a-level either.
What do you think the answer might be? :smile:
Original post by dicotyledon
have you learnt anything about beta blockers at all? it could be some kind of application of knowledge question. I don't remember learning them at gcse, and I don't think they're mentioned at a-level either.

i geniunely dont think we did plus ive gone over all topics covered on this paper 1 and they didnt come up on videos etc but when im doing the past paper so much new info is added ? so annoying
Hi. I don't know how to answer your question, but I'll do some research for you. Textbooks don't cover the whole of the specification, they're sadistic like that
Is it a paper from the old specification? They include content you don’t need to know now :smile:
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Hi. I don't know how to answer your question, but I'll do some research for you. Textbooks don't cover the whole of the specification, they're sadistic like that

oh my gosh noo i literally revised so much and for nothing to come up im gonna cry!! my biology mock is tomorrow 😭😭
Original post by laurawatt
Is it a paper from the old specification? They include content you don’t need to know now :smile:

its the 2019 one for combined science higher
That's okay, it's just an application of knowledge question then. You need to think about why people get out of breath while doing exercise, then apply that in the context of beta blockers. While it may seem that nothing you know has come up, that's because not every question is testing your ability to remember, sometimes they like to test how well you can use the knowledge that you do have in a new scenario. So in this case, your knowledge surrounding exercise and the factors that make people out of breath.
Original post by username2005
oh my gosh noo i literally revised so much and for nothing to come up im gonna cry!! my biology mock is tomorrow 😭😭

No no, it's fine. Don't panic! Everything in the book is in the spec, but there are also little bits of information. To be fair, I think you should be alright.
This person who posted above me is correct, it is an application question.
We can't give answers on TSR, but a beta blocker is used to slow down the heart. Use that and your knowledge of what is required to exercise and what makes it harder and yoou should be ok.

Good luck on your test, you'll do fine!! Feel free to PM me for any help or stress relief. I do tutor a couple of GCSE and A level students on here, so if you ever want any help, I'm happy to be of assistance. Again, good luck on your mock!! :smile:
No no, it's fine. Don't panic! Everything in the book is in the spec, but there are also little bits of information. To be fair, I think you should be alright.
This person who posted above me is correct, it is an application question.
We can't give answers on TSR, but a beta blocker is used to slow down the heart. Use that and your knowledge of what is required to exercise and what makes it harder and yoou should be ok.

Good luck on your test, you'll do fine!! Feel free to PM me for any help or stress relief. I do tutor a couple of GCSE and A level students on here, so if you ever want any help, I'm happy to be of assistance. Again, good luck on your mock!! :smile:

thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!
just out of curiousity why are u unable to give answers on here is it a rule or just to make ppl work for themselves haha x
Original post by dicotyledon
That's okay, it's just an application of knowledge question then. You need to think about why people get out of breath while doing exercise, then apply that in the context of beta blockers. While it may seem that nothing you know has come up, that's because not every question is testing your ability to remember, sometimes they like to test how well you can use the knowledge that you do have in a new scenario. So in this case, your knowledge surrounding exercise and the factors that make people out of breath.

thankyou sm !!! i will definitely have an idea for next questions now x
thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!
just out of curiousity why are u unable to give answers on here is it a rule or just to make ppl work for themselves haha x

That's ok :smile:
It's a TSR rule to make sure that people are working and learning rather than just cheating through their education I guess. So people can give guidance but not answers xx
That's ok :smile:
It's a TSR rule to make sure that people are working and learning rather than just cheating through their education I guess. So people can give guidance but not answers xx

ohhh i see that makes sense!
thankyou xx
ohhh i see that makes sense!
thankyou xx

No problem! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest