The Student Room Group

Where does it all go (girl stuff)?

This might sound like a stupid question...

I take ibuprofen for period pain. It reduces blood flow by about three quaters.

What happens to womb lining that (presumably) isn't shreaded?
I'm really sorry, I don't know. I'll bump it though. Good luck!
Original post by glassalice
This might sound like a stupid question...

I take ibuprofen for period pain. It reduces blood flow by about three quaters.

What happens to womb lining that (presumably) isn't shreaded?

It remains inside your body, its only a small lining of the womb which is shed monthly.
Original post by lianne_sinclair
It remains inside your body, its only a small lining of the womb which is shed monthly.

Is it possible to build up too much womb lining?

Not if you are having regular periods.
Reply 5
Ibuprofen reduces the whole volume, which is a mix of endometrial cells, blood and clots, as far as I know.

My understanding is that the endometrium retains a thin layer but sheds about two thirds and I imagine that this ratio remains the same, even when you take ibuprofen, as the effect is on the flow as a whole, not the endometrial cells.

You can develop a too thick endometrium (hyperplasia), but that's related to other factors, it wouldn't be caused by taking ibuprofen, as far as I know.

I think that the healthy uterus calibrates itself pretty expertly, so I wouldn't worry about the endometrium getting too thick, that's in hand, as far as your body is concerned.

Obviously, if something changed with your periods, you would tell your GP and he/she would investigate.

I don't think that you need to worry though, I think that your uterus is doing what it expects to do and very efficiently; you just can't see it doing its work.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kerzen
Ibuprofen reduces the whole volume, which is a mix of endometrial cells, blood and clots, as far as I know.

My understanding is that the endometrium retains a thin layer but sheds about two thirds and I imagine that this ratio remains the same, even when you take ibuprofen, as the effect is on the flow as a whole, not the endometrial cells.

You can develop a too thick endometrium (hyperplasia), but that's related to other factors, it wouldn't be caused by taking ibuprofen, as far as I know.

I think that the healthy uterus calibrates itself pretty expertly, so I wouldn't worry about the endometrium getting too thick, that's in hand, as far as your body is concerned.

Obviously, if something changed with your periods, you would tell your GP and he/she would investigate.

I don't think that you need to worry though, I think that your uterus is doing what it expects to do and very efficiently; you just can't see it doing its work.

Thank you for giving a full explanation. I have ASD so having a full explanation is really anxiety reducing.

Your body will naturally shed the lining every 4ish weeks unless an egg cell has been implanted.
Your body will naturally shed the lining every 4ish weeks unless an egg cell has been implanted.

the girl didn't need you to explain what a period was :|
Original post by MrSandyWilly
the girl didn't need you to explain what a period was :|

Oh I'm sorry, I was just explaining that the body won't retain a womb lining unless an egg cell is implanted. Unless you're pregnant, your body will continue to shed a lining, hence women having a period each month or two.
Oh I'm sorry, I was just explaining that the body won't retain a womb lining unless an egg cell is implanted. Unless you're pregnant, your body will continue to shed a lining, hence women having a period each month or two.

except that it's not that simple and some women, e.g those with PCOS, do not shed their womb lining regularly and can end up with a thickened womb lining unless they are on some form of hormonal contraception (the significance of which is an increased risk of womb cancer)
Original post by black tea
except that it's not that simple and some women, e.g those with PCOS, do not shed their womb lining regularly and can end up with a thickened womb lining unless they are on some form of hormonal contraception (the significance of which is an increased risk of womb cancer)

I was just meaning in general terms, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest