The Student Room Group

Spending Christmas Alone

I just need to get this off my chest. Because of COVID, I won't be spending Christmas with my parents, my mum has existing health problems.

I thought of spending Christmas with my housemates. But turns out they already have plans to see their friends in London. I understand they want to spend Christmas with their friends. But I just hate it when I meet someone, who already has his/her own group of friends and would not hang out with me. My friends from uni have moved on with work, family, kids.

I have no idea what to do alone on Christmas. Was wondering if anyone is going through a similar experience and how to deal with it.
I know other people going through this. Maybe try to find fb groups or bff bumble or something to find other people who will be alone so you can at least have someone there for you. Apart from that. Treat yourseld. Take self care seriously and buy yourself a Christmas present
That's sad....

You're not banned from traveling u know. Well...are you..? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
See if there are any opportunities to volunteer. If nothing else, you'll realise that being on your own when you have your health and a place to live isn't actually that bad...

Otherwise, do whatever you want. I've spent Christmas Day doing everything from eating chocolate for breakfast and staying in my pyjamas all morning to going for a walk on a deserted beach and sitting on a rock, eating a packed lunch and watching the waves.
Reply 4
Original post by Bang Outta Order
That's sad....

You're not banned from traveling u know. Well...are you..? :s-smilie:

Well, we are not technically banned from traveling within the country and maybe outside. However, I don't know where I would go alone. All I can think of is driving my car somewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
See if there are any opportunities to volunteer. If nothing else, you'll realise that being on your own when you have your health and a place to live isn't actually that bad...

Otherwise, do whatever you want. I've spent Christmas Day doing everything from eating chocolate for breakfast and staying in my pyjamas all morning to going for a walk on a deserted beach and sitting on a rock, eating a packed lunch and watching the waves.

Thanks for your response. Well yes, I am thankful that I am in good health, have a place to live and have a job. I understand people are going through a lot worse.

I spend most of my time in solitude and I am pretty much used to it. It just gets to me that everyone has friends and family to spend time with, whilst I do not have that sort of companionship.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your response. Well yes, I am thankful that I am in good health, have a place to live and have a job. I understand people are going through a lot worse.

I spend most of my time in solitude and I am pretty much used to it. It just gets to me that everyone has friends and family to spend time with, whilst I do not have that sort of companionship.

Look out for loal support groups - we can't have the normal Christmas lunch for people on their own but are delivering food and gifts to doorsteps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
I am. Broke up with my boyfriend, my dad likes to have Xmas alone, I have no car anyway, other friends with their families and my mum has passed. I have spent many Xmas alone not bothered about it anymore I have my dog.
I don't mind chatting on Xmas if you
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Shico
I am. Broke up with my boyfriend, my dad likes to have Xmas alone, I have no car anyway, other friends with their families and my mum has passed. I have spent many Xmas alone not bothered about it anymore I have my dog.
I don't mind chatting on Xmas if you

Thanks for your response. Yes chatting on Xmas would be nice x
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your response. Yes chatting on Xmas would be nice x

DM me xx you're not alone
Hi,Im not a student as Im nearing 60! Im on this site seeking info for the 2 care leavers who live with me. However, they are going to spend Christmas with their birth families and although I have a partner, I will feel alone too.! Remember Christmas is just a matter of a day or days.Its going to feel lonely for a lot of people this year. If its too late to volunteer for something, take yourself off to a favourite place with a picnic of special food, have a long walk . Offer to take someones dog if possible or even offer to look after a dog. 😁Come back and cook yourself a nice meal, read a new book or have a film lined up. Spend the time planning an adventurous future trip when travel is allowed. Other than that, remember it will be over in a couple of days and life will resume as normal. I will be thinking of you X
Original post by Bleu Rose
Hi,Im not a student as Im nearing 60! Im on this site seeking info for the 2 care leavers who live with me. However, they are going to spend Christmas with their birth families and although I have a partner, I will feel alone too.! Remember Christmas is just a matter of a day or days.Its going to feel lonely for a lot of people this year. If its too late to volunteer for something, take yourself off to a favourite place with a picnic of special food, have a long walk . Offer to take someones dog if possible or even offer to look after a dog. 😁Come back and cook yourself a nice meal, read a new book or have a film lined up. Spend the time planning an adventurous future trip when travel is allowed. Other than that, remember it will be over in a couple of days and life will resume as normal. I will be thinking of you X

Thanks for your advice, that's nice of you xx
hey!

im so sorry to hear that you’ll be alone for Christmas! is there any way you could video call with some friends or family? that way you could all open presents and eat together, without actually being in the same house?
I will be alone on Christmas Day too. My family and I are spread across 3 countries but I want to minimise the travelling I do for a few more months. I usually stay with my grandparents but they are in their 80's and high-risk so I don't want to visit them until after they have been vaccinated. I think it helps to make plans to do something you enjoy and spend time in your own company. It stops you from just sitting there doing nothing, which then makes your thoughts spiral away into sadness, and it's a downward slope from there. Even better, if you have work to do for upcoming exams then focusing on studying will help to keep your mind off things you're unhappy about. Treat yourself to things you wouldn't normally eat or drink - chocolate, fast food, sugary drinks, alcohol etc. Most importantly you have to eat well and stay warm and hydrated - maybe even eat more than you usually do! It's quite easy to have a party by yourself when you know how! I've been doing it every Friday night for quite a while. :tongue:

I plan to take Christmas Day off from studying (provided I get enough work done before then, haha) and spend the day watching TV shows and movies. Wonder Woman 1984, Soul and Coolie No.1 (Hindi film) are all coming to streaming on Christmas Day - if you're a movie buff like I am, you'll know how huge a deal it is this year that new movies are being released. Talk to your family and friends on the phone/FaceTime so you don't go the whole day without speaking to anyone. Also, if you're feeling lonely, why not spread some joy and buy some little presents for your neighbours, friends etc? Maybe you know people who have children? You could buy them some toys. Somebody mentioned volunteering already - what about helping the homeless and vulnerable and people less fortunate than ourselves? So many people have lost their jobs and homes in this pandemic that food banks and soup kitchens will be busier this Christmas than they usually are at this time of year. Even if things aren't going so well for you at home, you'll feel much better having done some small good deeds for people, and you could make a lasting impression on people who might be feeling just as lonely as you. Especially the elderly - something as simple as just giving someone some company on Christmas Day, watching the Queen's speech with them or making them a cup of tea and biscuits is something they would remember for a long time.

Quick Reply