The Student Room Group

car insurance - am i a student?

I'm trying to sort out first-time car insurance.
I'm 19 and finished my a-levels last year, and resitting one of those in the summer. I'm not enrolled at college full-time, and i'm self-studying at home for the a-level that I've been entered in by my college. In my UCAS application I put the resit through my college as attending the college 'part time'.
So does this mean I'm still classed as a part time student for car insurance? Or am I technically not a student anymore as I don't actually go to college and i'm not enrolled in any courses? (even though i study as much as a full time student at home and am entered for an exam)
Or should I just put myself down as 'employed' (been on furlough since summer but still technically employed)?
Any advice appreciated
Original post by art3mls
I'm 19 and finished my a-levels last year, and resitting one of those in the summer. I'm not enrolled at college full-time, and i'm self-studying at home for the a-level that I've been entered in by my college. In my UCAS application I put the resit through my college as attending the college 'part time'.
So does this mean I'm still classed as a part time student for car insurance? Or am I technically not a student anymore as I don't actually go to college and i'm not enrolled in any courses? (even though i study as much as a full time student at home and am entered for an exam)
Or should I just put myself down as 'employed' (been on furlough since summer but still technically employed)?
Any advice appreciated

i'd say you're still a student as you are studying towards a qualification

however it may be wise to stick safe and go with employed (perhaps do a quote for each, i don't know if the prices differ too much?)
you can also contact the individual insurance company and ask them the question (before confirming your insurance theyll ring and verify everything and if you mention it to them they can just update the quote)
Reply 2
Original post by art3mls
Any advice appreciated

You're both.

You should declare that you are a student.

The form will ask if you have a second job. You should declare that you do.

All bases are now covered.
Original post by IWMTom

Funnily enough I've never been asked that or had an option to answer/give 2 answers. I had to pick between Student or Employed and that was it.

Good thing too, as if they went by job they'd hike my premiums up like cheating swine :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Funnily enough I've never been asked that or had an option to answer/give 2 answers. I had to pick between Student or Employed and that was it.

Good thing too, as if they went by job they'd hike my premiums up like cheating swine :tongue:

Odd.

12BBBADC-3E3B-411B-8E39-76F0CDE5EB6D.jpg
Original post by IWMTom
Odd.

Nap, never asked. I've only ever dealt with Confused & Admiral mind you. I've never withheld the info, just not volunteered it.

TBH In my case i'm not keen as they would just bleed me, I work in Landscaping and that's the kind of thing to flash pound signs in their eyes. Considering I don't drive to, at or from work I don't think they've got any right asking for more money, and considering my car isn't involved at ALL I don't really think it's their damn business. Just my 2p though

(IMO past a point these systems just break down anyway, over the last few years there's been plenty months where i've been a student, employed, a carer and on benefits. If i had to send off every 'Change of Circumstances' thing I'm technically supposed to, It would cause chaos, by the time any company accepted one 2 more would be in the mail. *shrug*)
Reply 6
Nap, never asked. I've only ever dealt with Confused & Admiral mind you. I've never withheld the info, just not volunteered it.

TBH In my case i'm not keen as they would just bleed me, I work in Landscaping and that's the kind of thing to flash pound signs in their eyes. Considering I don't drive to, at or from work I don't think they've got any right asking for more money, and considering my car isn't involved at ALL I don't really think it's their damn business. Just my 2p though

(IMO past a point these systems just break down anyway, over the last few years there's been plenty months where i've been a student, employed, a carer and on benefits. If i had to send off every 'Change of Circumstances' thing I'm technically supposed to, It would cause chaos, by the time any company accepted one 2 more would be in the mail. *shrug*)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ask them if you can transfer a NCB from your lawnmower? :laugh:
Original post by IWMTom
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ask them if you can transfer a NCB from your lawnmower? :laugh:

Oh, NCB...NCB, you mean one of things you get for a year with no accidents? .. Yeah,, I don't have that for the lawnmower :tongue:
Reply 8
Oh, NCB...NCB, you mean one of things you get for a year with no accidents? .. Yeah,, I don't have that for the lawnmower :tongue:

Did you crash a lawnmower into a lamppost as well?
Original post by IWMTom
Did you crash a lawnmower into a lamppost as well?

Regularly, but they're pretty well armoured for that. :tongue:

I've got at least 1 broken window claim still outstanding on my bosses insurance though (those just happen) and I think that lady I hit sued the council I worked for :tongue:

There was that hamster's grave as well, the explosion from that brought the whole street out, but WTF buries a hamster in the garden with a big lump of sodding quartz as a marker and doesn't warn the gardener? :mad:
Reply 10
Regularly, but they're pretty well armoured for that. :tongue:

I've got at least 1 broken window claim still outstanding on my bosses insurance though (those just happen) and I think that lady I hit sued the council I worked for :tongue:

There was that hamster's grave as well, the explosion from that brought the whole street out, but WTF buries a hamster in the garden with a big lump of sodding quartz as a marker and doesn't warn the gardener? :mad:

Oh good lord.. how long did it take to clear the blades of deceased rodent?
Original post by IWMTom
Oh good lord.. how long did it take to clear the blades of deceased rodent?

Oh, no I assume the rodent is still where they buried it. It was my mower trying to eat a brick of quartz that caused the explosion. Modern commercial machines have all manner of safety systems like breakable plastic linkages to prevent serious shocks shattering the transmission, and I bet my boss wishes he'd bought one :colonhash:

(the nice ones also have a port on the top to attach a hose and they then clean themselves, smug gits)
Reply 12
Oh, no I assume the rodent is still where they buried it. It was my mower trying to eat a brick of quartz that caused the explosion. Modern commercial machines have all manner of safety systems like breakable plastic linkages to prevent serious shocks shattering the transmission, and I bet my boss wishes he'd bought one :colonhash:

(the nice ones also have a port on the top to attach a hose and they then clean themselves, smug gits)

Oh I see, well that's something I suppose! :laugh:
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
You're both.

You should declare that you are a student.

All bases are now covered.

Thank you.. Do I still count as employed if I haven't worked since around Feb/March? Even then I would only do the odd shift some weekends, but I'm still getting furlough though right now though so unsure .....
By putting myself down as employed (as well as being a part-time student) the insurance price goes up by ~£200 so I don't know if I can get away with not mentioning it? Also I don't even drive to my place of work as it's within walking distance so it's frustrating that the price goes up by so much for this job when my car isn't even affected by it.
Reply 14
Original post by art3mls
Thank you.. Do I still count as employed if I haven't worked since around Feb/March? Even then I would only do the odd shift some weekends, but I'm still getting furlough though right now though so unsure .....
By putting myself down as employed (as well as being a part-time student) the insurance price goes up by ~£200 so I don't know if I can get away with not mentioning it? Also I don't even drive to my place of work as it's within walking distance so it's frustrating that the price goes up by so much for this job when my car isn't even affected by it.

You're employed. Don't try to find loopholes.
Furloughed is still employed and you're not an enrolled student anywhere even though you are self-studying for retakes.

Your employment status would presumably be quite an easy thing for them to check, so I would not give them any excuse to cancel or not cover you in the event of a claim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending