The Student Room Group

Puzzling Maths Question

Here's a maths question that I've been stuck on for a bit. Could someone help?

Sequence of numbers from 3-12:

10,12,11,7,6,a,b,c,d,e

These numbers are arranged in a natural Sequence. a,b,c,d and e are digits 3,4,5,8,9 in some order. What are the values of a,b,c,d,e?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SecretMaths
Here's a maths question that I've been stuck on for a bit. Could someone help?

Sequence of numbers from 3-12:

10,12,11,7,6,a,b,c,d,e

These numbers are arranged in a natural Sequence. a,b,c,d and e are digits 3,4,5,8,9 in some order. What are the values of a,b,c,d,e?

Do you mind saying where it comes from?
Original post by mqb2766
Do you mind saying where it comes from?

It was just a challenge question my teacher set me.
Reply 3
It was just a challenge question my teacher set me.

You're a level?
yeah

Original post by mqb2766
You're a level?
Reply 5
yeah

So this could be anything from a numeric relationship to a gchq type knowledge/logic/word problem, and there isn't really any context you're giving?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
So this could be anything from a numeric relationship to a gchq type knowledge/logic/word problem, and there isn't really any context you're giving?

Yes, it's a natural sequence. It should be possible.
Reply 7
Yes, it's a natural sequence. It should be possible.

Natural sequence means sequence of natural numbers?
The 3-12 could be anything from months of the year, 12 days of christmas, digits 0-9 which have been shifted to 3-12, what's on tv from 3pm-12pm.... Really without any context it's simply a guessing game. Your guesses are as good as anyones.

Something partially matches, related to Plato. But there again, many things could be candidates.
(edited 3 years ago)
Here's the exact question. Someone draws ten mathematical objects that can have labels from 3 to 12. This person outs these objects into a natural sequence as follows:
10 - 12 - 11 - 7 - 6 - a - b - c - d - e
where a,b,c,d,e are the digits 3,4,5,8,9 in some order. What are these digits? Maybe this will help set the context?
Reply 9
Here's the exact question. Someone draws ten mathematical objects that can have labels from 3 to 12. This person outs these objects into a natural sequence as follows:
10 - 12 - 11 - 7 - 6 - a - b - c - d - e
where a,b,c,d,e are the digits 3,4,5,8,9 in some order. What are these digits? Maybe this will help set the context?

Sure I'd worked it out, (see previous post/hint) but the question makes it extremely clear. You must be able to get it?
sorry I didn't understand your hint

Original post by mqb2766
Sure I'd worked it out, (see previous post/hint) but the question makes it extremely clear. You must be able to get it?
sorry I didn't understand your hint

Tbh, the extra information you provided in the question is enough.

I guess the question / answer isn't going to make it break your a level, so why not just think about what it might be? If you've got an idea, just post. However, the previous hint is all I'm going to give. There are at least two famous things attributed/related to him that is relevant.
Original post by mqb2766
Tbh, the extra information you provided in the question is enough.

I guess the question / answer isn't going to make it break your a level, so why not just think about what it might be? If you've got an idea, just post. However, the previous hint is all I'm going to give. There are at least two famous things attributed/related to him that is relevant.

Is this related to Plato. Sorry I'm really confused on what your hint actually was.
Is this related to Plato. Sorry I'm really confused on what your hint actually was.

Yes
Original post by mqb2766
Yes

Would i be able to solve the question without any information on Plato though?

Unless I've got it wrong, another good hint is to think about scenarios where "n < 3" doesn't make sense.
Would i be able to solve the question without any information on Plato though?

Yes
Original post by DFranklin
Unless I've got it wrong, another good hint is to think about scenarios where "n < 3" doesn't make sense.

Yes.
Original post by mqb2766
Yes

I'm currently doing AS Maths so I don't know too much on sequences
I'm currently doing AS Maths so I don't know too much on sequences

Although it's "sort of" a maths question, it doesn't require any significant calculation, or any maths past GCSE (not even GCSE, in fact).

Quick Reply

Latest