The Student Room Group

Will a masters help my TC applications?

Hi, when I was younger 13-16 I had some extenuating circumstances (doctor has supported this with a statement and my medication etc) and i did really bad at GCSE and got 665552

During A-levels, I'm predicted A*A*A* and managed to get that in my mock exams which covered year 12 and 13 content and was essentially identical to a real exam, so I'd like to think I will at least achieve somewhat close to that. I've also received offers from Durham and KCL for an LLB. Firstly, will firms (particularly US and MC) be put off by my academic inconsistency even if get a first? If so, would getting a masters at Oxford aid my application much?

Also, I'm aware it's not as simple as just getting a masters, but if I did well in my degree to the point i felt im competitive for TC's, I'd at least be competitive for a masters too.
(edited 3 years ago)
Your GCSEs will be largely irrelevant if you get the A levels you are projected to get, especially if you get a 1st in your LLB at the schools you listed. Most firms will take into account mitigating circumstances, and the ones that don't aren't worth your time. You probably won't need a masters to be competitive.
Reply 2
Original post by Gmaster1980
Your GCSEs will be largely irrelevant if you get the A levels you are projected to get, especially if you get a 1st in your LLB at the schools you listed. Most firms will take into account mitigating circumstances, and the ones that don't aren't worth your time. You probably won't need a masters to be competitive.

Thank you for the reply. I suppose ill know if I'm competitive before i even apply for a masters, since ill know if im being rejected pre-interview during 2nd year.
no
Original post by EU Yakov
no

be nice
Reply 5
Original post by Gmaster1980
be nice

he said firms won't be put off, so ill take it as a positive.
Original post by Anumu
he said firms won't be put off, so ill take it as a positive.

they won't be put off, they won't see it as an especially big positive, most people don't do one and still get jobs fine
Reply 7
they won't be put off, they won't see it as an especially big positive, most people don't do one and still get jobs fine

I know its unnecessary for most, I was specifically asking in relation to my terrible GCSEs. I thought a masters would help to prove I am academically capable and would make up for my blemish in attainment.
Reply 8
Original post by Anumu
I know its unnecessary for most, I was specifically asking in relation to my terrible GCSEs. I thought a masters would help to prove I am academically capable and would make up for my blemish in attainment.

Your undergrad degree and A level result will how academic ability.
Original post by Anumu

fair
i honestly don't know about whether bad GCSEs are something that need to be compensated for by a master's. sounds like overkill. would speak directly w/ a recruiter or HR.
Reply 10
fair
i honestly don't know about whether bad GCSEs are something that need to be compensated for by a master's. sounds like overkill. would speak directly w/ a recruiter or HR.

Thanks. Also, do you think it's worth speaking about my mitigating circumstances to the law firm? I ask because I was on antidepressants and sleeping medication, and considering these firms are stressful environments I worry it may cause concerns about whether they think I can handle it. I know I can, I just think the firm may not see it this way.
Just thinking about this - I doubt GCSEs will ever be an issue except if they have minimum requirements for maths and English. This is well worth checking in case you need to consider resitting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending