The Student Room Group

Law

Hey
(edited 3 years ago)
You are allowed to be a lawyer, but I think that you have to be very careful, becuase opposing attorneys can dig up dirt on you and use it against you. But if you had no part in the fight, you should be fine.... hope this helps.
a criminal record is a committed crime, not one for which you were present
Original post by Caitymark
Hey I wanted to be a lawyer but I’m really concerned as I’ve heard that you cannot be a lawyer with anyone sort of criminal record , such as being there when a fight took place is this true as I’m scared of doing 5 years of work to be told I can no longer get a job.

Thanks

Contact the law society and ask. They are pretty flexible on past mistakes (but strict on things done once qualified) but get the answer from the horses mouth.
(edited 3 years ago)
You have a criminal record for something you didn't do/weren't involved in? That doesn't sound right to me. You don't deserve to be a lawyer with a dodgy background.
Original post by midani_s
You have a criminal record for something you didn't do/weren't involved in? That doesn't sound right to me. You don't deserve to be a lawyer with a dodgy background.

I don’t have one but I was just talking to someone who kind of told me that law wasn’t a good career choice for this reason. As they said I could get criminal records for minor things that could ruin my chances. I was wondering what kind of crimes would be seen as bad and ruin my chances of becoming a lawyer

Thanks
I don’t have one but I was just talking to someone who kind of told me that law wasn’t a good career choice for this reason. As they said I could get criminal records for minor things that could ruin my chances. I was wondering what kind of crimes would be seen as bad and ruin my chances of becoming a lawyer

Thanks

If you are worried that you might be convicted of a crime that will prevent you being a lawyer then you should do something else. No one is going to give you a list of things you can get away with. Firstly, it’s all theoretical. No one cares about theoretical problems. Secondly, that would only enable you to be badly behaved not help you reform. So no.
if you did something minor as a kid, you'll be fine, you might be asked as to how this has changed you as a person

Thanks

This thread makes zero sense.

Thanks

You don't get criminal records simply for being present when they happened. Not unless your presence is seen as encouraging the offence.

And a criminal record would limit your options in many professions. Especially if it's for a dishonesty or aggressive offence.
Original post by darius_tanz
You are allowed to be a lawyer, but I think that you have to be very careful, becuase opposing attorneys can dig up dirt on you and use it against you. But if you had no part in the fight, you should be fine.... hope this helps.

Someone's been watching some courtroom dramas and thinking they are an accurate reflection of real life. For the record, you can be prevented from becoming a solicitor or a barrister depending on a number of factors including the nature of your criminal offence(s), when they were, and how serious they were. Once you become a solicitor or a barrister, opposing solicitors or barristers will not be able to "dig up dirt" on you and "use it against you". I appreciate Mike Ross had that problem in Suits, but he's fictional. I doubt someone on the run from the drugs squad that stumbles into an interview process for a major law firm in real life would be fortunate enough to have things go the way that he did.

OP, unless the incident that you're talking about took place recently and the police are still investigating it, I don't see how you would realistically have anything to worry about. Equally, pursuing a different career path because you might be convicted of a criminal offence at some point in the future seems to be a somewhat strange reason to move away from a particular career path. You should avoid getting a criminal record as a general rule, irrespective of whether it may course particular issues with your career path of choice. If you don't think you can avoid being convicted of a crime in the five years it would take to secure a job in the legal profession, I think your problems are a lot bigger than choosing a career path.
Original post by FingersXedAgain
If you are worried that you might be convicted of a crime that will prevent you being a lawyer then you should do something else. No one is going to give you a list of things you can get away with. Firstly, it’s all theoretical. No one cares about theoretical problems. Secondly, that would only enable you to be badly behaved not help you reform. So no.

I’m not worried about getting one I just heard that even silly things like littering can impact your chances a lot .
I’m not worried about getting one I just heard that even silly things like littering can impact your chances a lot .

Not unless you were littering with severed limbs and bags of cocaine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending