The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial college computer science pre-interview assessment

Hello,
I am applying to Imperial College London to study computer science. I have heard that they do a pre interview assessment which involves maths and logic questions. I have heard many people say that you can't prepare for this exam, however I have very poor algorithmic thinking/logic skills. Is there anything I can do to indirectly help me for this exam. For example would UKMT senior maths challenge papers help me?
Reply 1
The logic questions can be practiced by completing TMUA paper 2s, there are also some harder ones on the MAT papers that you will have to look for individually. UKMT won’t be much help to be honest, it’s a different style of Maths.

The pre-interview test is not that difficult and the vast majority of candidates score 80-100% on it every year, it really isn’t anything that warrants extensive preparation.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by hajima
The logic questions can be practiced by completing TMUA paper 2s, there are also some harder ones on the MAT papers that you will have to look for individually. UKMT won’t be much help to be honest, it’s a different style of Maths.

The pre-interview test is not that difficult and the vast majority of candidates scalriore 80-100% on it every year, it really isn’t anything that warrants extensive preparation.

Alright ok. I think I will just work on the TMUA paper 2 to get my logic and proof up to scratch. Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by rsen1324
Alright ok. I think I will just work on the TMUA paper 2 to get my logic and proof up to scratch. Thank you

I'd say the assessment isn't even as hard as the TMUA paper 2s. From my experience a closer comparison would be Bebras computing challenge questions. The paper's just testing you on puzzles/logic/algorithms. And you don't need to know any languages to be able to do them.
Reply 4
Original post by Gazino
I'd say the assessment isn't even as hard as the TMUA paper 2s. From my experience a closer comparison would be Bebras computing challenge questions. The paper's just testing you on puzzles/logic/algorithms. And you don't need to know any languages to be able to do them.

Ah I've never heard of Bebras, but just looked it up. Thank you
I am a computer science applicant and had my test on 3rd Nov. I have not heard anything from the College yet - does this mean its end of the road for me because I have seen so many people getting interviews who had done their exams on the same date. Btw, nobody in my schools has had any updated from Imperial either......
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I am a computer science applicant and had my test on 3rd Nov. I have not heard anything from the College yet - does this mean its end of the road for me because I have seen so many people getting interviews who had done their exams on the same date. Btw, nobody in my schools has had any updated from Imperial either......

Surely they should send some sort of email. They can't just leave you in the dark

How was your test? I'm gonna have mine this week. Is TMUAs and Berbra actually helpful?
Reply 8
Original post by Takashi_77
How was your test? I'm gonna have mine this week. Is TMUAs and Berbra actually helpful?

Well, I flopped the test, and I didn't get into Imperial :frown:, but I got into Warwick, which I'm pretty happy with. The test is nothing like the TMUA paper 2, and you really can't prepare for it.
Well, I flopped the test, and I didn't get into Imperial :frown:, but I got into Warwick, which I'm pretty happy with. The test is nothing like the TMUA paper 2, and you really can't prepare for it.

how do you know you didn't get into imperial?
Original post by confusedcactus
how do you know you didn't get into imperial?

The thread’s 11 months old. They applied last cycle.
Original post by Admit-One
The thread’s 11 months old. They applied last cycle.

oh shoot - lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending