The Student Room Group

Nottingham Vet School April 2021 Cohort

I haven't seen any forums about the April cohort for 2021 vet student, and given that joining is only a few months away I wanted to see if I could meet anyone else going on the course! So just drop a message on the thread of you're attending vet school at Nottingham in April! @Manooka @StrawberryDreams
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm starting in April 2021, haven't seen any groups for it until now. Can't wait to get talking to everyone.
Original post by FelixHans-Brown
I'm starting in April 2021, haven't seen any groups for it until now. Can't wait to get talking to everyone.

There’s a whatsapp GC I can add you do?
Original post by flamingolover
There’s a whatsapp GC I can add you do?

Yeah sure that would be great.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by FelixHans-Brown
Yeah sure that would be great.

I’ve just private messaged you!
Reply 5
Hey! I’m starting the vet course in April as well! Would love to chat with you all :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Talving
Hey! I’m starting the vet course in April as well! Would love to chat with you all :smile:

Hi, it's nice to find more people! I have just private messaged you!
Hi! I am not a Nottingham offer holder as I was unsuccessful last year and have reapplied and so far got an interview, but I was just wondering about the April cohort. I was wondering how the accommodation situation works? As in, do the September cohort have to move out in time for April cohort to start, or is there separate accommodation etc? I was also wondering what you do for September-April, can you start doing EMS placements then, before you have officially started at the uni? Do you have any work set etc, or is it entirely like a mini gap year?

Thank you in advance, I am simply curious as to how the April cohort works since it is obviously new and different and thought this would be a good place to ask :smile:
Original post by RambleAmple
Hi! I am not a Nottingham offer holder as I was unsuccessful last year and have reapplied and so far got an interview, but I was just wondering about the April cohort. I was wondering how the accommodation situation works? As in, do the September cohort have to move out in time for April cohort to start, or is there separate accommodation etc? I was also wondering what you do for September-April, can you start doing EMS placements then, before you have officially started at the uni? Do you have any work set etc, or is it entirely like a mini gap year?

Thank you in advance, I am simply curious as to how the April cohort works since it is obviously new and different and thought this would be a good place to ask :smile:

I haven’t started yet but I’m starting in April!

With regards to accomodation it seems that we are all housed with other April students. Our accomodation contracts in halls is 37 weeks which is shorter than September (44 weeks I think)

You can’t do EMS placements before you start as you have to be a registered student. I’ve been working but I had plans to work for the first half and then go travelling. And I was going to visit loads of friends at uni and stuff. Obviously with covid that hasn’t happened but you can view it as a mini gap year and just do a condensed version of what gap year students do or you could just relax a bit! It’s really up to you most people I’ve spoken to are working but it depends. No work has been set so it is just a mini gap year

Just ask if you have any other questions!
I haven’t started yet but I’m starting in April!

With regards to accomodation it seems that we are all housed with other April students. Our accomodation contracts in halls is 37 weeks which is shorter than September (44 weeks I think)

You can’t do EMS placements before you start as you have to be a registered student. I’ve been working but I had plans to work for the first half and then go travelling. And I was going to visit loads of friends at uni and stuff. Obviously with covid that hasn’t happened but you can view it as a mini gap year and just do a condensed version of what gap year students do or you could just relax a bit! It’s really up to you most people I’ve spoken to are working but it depends. No work has been set so it is just a mini gap year

Just ask if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much! I’m already on a gap year right now since I’m reapplying and do not need to resit anything but I was just curious on how exactly the April cohort works since it’s quite new. Thanks again!
Hi,I'm hoping someone on this thread can give me an idea of wha the April intake is like - I have an offer from Nottingham for April 2022 or another uni for an Oct 2021 start and I'm really torn, especially as Nottingham is my first choice! Are there any disadvantages to the April start (aside for the extra 6 months wait!) . . . . and positives that I haven't considered . .will it be odd not having a long break in the summer? Any issues with EMS? Hit me with your thoughts!ThanksK
Reply 11
Original post by Indiana2021
Hi,I'm hoping someone on this thread can give me an idea of wha the April intake is like - I have an offer from Nottingham for April 2022 or another uni for an Oct 2021 start and I'm really torn, especially as Nottingham is my first choice! Are there any disadvantages to the April start (aside for the extra 6 months wait!) . . . . and positives that I haven't considered . .will it be odd
dd not having a long break in the summer? Any issues with EMS? Hit me with your thoughts!ThanksK

Hey! Unfortunately I haven't started yet and will be starting this year. However after to speaking to a few of the older students , EMS tends to be easier as you aren't competing for places with other universities and there's more availability. Not to mention EMS abroad tends to be cheaper as our winter holiday doesn't fall into the usual school holidays, as well as any EMS to somewhere like South Africa , you're able to go in the peak of the wildlife season! As for the summer, the April cohort likes to stick together and have campfires and nights out. It seems to be a closer knit group than usual because of the differences! Not only that but any outdoor work in the summer is bound to be nicer than working over the winter with the dark nights and cold weather. :smile: hope this helps!
Original post by K3nzy
Hey! Unfortunately I haven't started yet and will be starting this year. However after to speaking to a few of the older students , EMS tends to be easier as you aren't competing for places with other universities and there's more availability. Not to mention EMS abroad tends to be cheaper as our winter holiday doesn't fall into the usual school holidays, as well as any EMS to somewhere like South Africa , you're able to go in the peak of the wildlife season! As for the summer, the April cohort likes to stick together and have campfires and nights out. It seems to be a closer knit group than usual because of the differences! Not only that but any outdoor work in the summer is bound to be nicer than working over the winter with the dark nights and cold weather. :smile: hope this helps!

Hiya, I'm hoping to start in April 2022, and I was wondering after the first year, how do you manage accommodation outside the campus? Most student halls I've viewed or studios have set moving in and moving out dates between September and July, which obviously doesn't align with April intake term dates. Does the uni offer accommodation after your first year for the 37 weeks or do we need to find it for ourselves? Just worrying about how I'd find the right dates without having to pay the full 51 weeks.

(Also, quick question, when applying as an April student, do we fill out the form and then they send over the Direct Applicant Number to book a room, because when I was on the booking page they asked for a nine number UCAS number or a Direct Applicant number and I have neither, only a ten digit UCAS ID)

sorry, such a long inquiry aha, but any help would be greatly appreciated (:
Original post by zeddhaych
Hiya, I'm hoping to start in April 2022, and I was wondering after the first year, how do you manage accommodation outside the campus? Most student halls I've viewed or studios have set moving in and moving out dates between September and July, which obviously doesn't align with April intake term dates. Does the uni offer accommodation after your first year for the 37 weeks or do we need to find it for ourselves? Just worrying about how I'd find the right dates without having to pay the full 51 weeks.

(Also, quick question, when applying as an April student, do we fill out the form and then they send over the Direct Applicant Number to book a room, because when I was on the booking page they asked for a nine number UCAS number or a Direct Applicant number and I have neither, only a ten digit UCAS ID)

sorry, such a long inquiry aha, but any help would be greatly appreciated (:

Hi! I’m currently an April first year. The housing situation is a bit tough. It was fine for the first years April last year but there’s more competition now there are 2 years of us. There are landlords that do December to December leases (11-12 months- standard lease length). It’s a bit stressful in number of houses but it is manageable and if you are on top of it housing shouldn’t be a problem.

The uni doesn’t provide accomodation as it doesn’t for any of year or course. Most student houses are 11-12 months anyway so it’s no different than it would be if you started in September. Some landlords do offer reduced rent for 2-3 months if you ask. The bonus of a year lease is that you can store your stuff without having to take it home and it’s generally better value for money.

I can’t remember what I did about accommodation. Have you tried your uni of Nottingham number maybe? I’m not sure. If you have an issue drop them an email and they’ll be more than happy to give you guidance.

If you have any other questions let me know
Me and a person I know are both starting in April 2021 and we were just discussing trying to find other people who are starting at the same time!
Original post by BellaVetStudent
Me and a person I know are both starting in April 2021 and we were just discussing trying to find other people who are starting at the same time!

Hi! You mean April 2022? If so I know there’s a few other people on here looking for people! I believe there is a WhatsApp group!! I think I’ve seen it on the main vet chat!
Hi! You mean April 2022? If so I know there’s a few other people on here looking for people! I believe there is a WhatsApp group!! I think I’ve seen it on the main vet chat!

Haha yes I did, my brain is elsewhere today. Thanks!
Haha yes I did, my brain is elsewhere today. Thanks!

I’ll keep a look out for groups for you! I’m currently a first year April so any questions you have let me know!
I’ll keep a look out for groups for you! I’m currently a first year April so any questions you have let me know!

Thank you, that's very kind :smile:

Hi, I'm starting in April 2022 as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending