The Student Room Group

Think I might have depression but my family are against it

They would be livid if I had it, they are against mental health issues its the same as someone being homophobic but they are against depressed people. I don't know what to call it but they are against depression, anxiety and stuff like that. I used to be 100% against it as well, I still would be but I have been kind of feeling a bit unhappy recently when im just down and stuff. I have been a bit worried that it might be something to do with mental health and its scary because my family are against it.

I don't think there's anything I can do with them being against mental health, they don't cause any issues to it and they keep their opinions to themselves. Its pretty much the same as if you are homophobic its fine as long as you keep it to yourself and don't harm anyone about it. People have the right to have their own opinion. I have just been having this sadness, I have been researching it and I have been having to clear my history because my family might see it. I heard it can be depression if its long term, I have been feeling like this for a week on and off the rest of time I have been fine. Im just worried what if it lasts long term then it might be something wrong and I will have to tell my parents at some point if I do have it.
Reply 1
The problem here is, you go to your family and immediately say that you're depressed/might be. You need to talk about what's making you feel upset and not just blame it on depression.
I don’t understand how someone can be against mental health - it just refers to the health of a certain part of your body (in simple terms). That’s like being against physical health :confused:

Anyway, being unhappy and feeling down isn’t necessarily depression - people go through periods of feeling negative and that is completely normal. If you’re worried you might have some sort of condition, you should see a GP to confirm, but otherwise, identify what’s making you feel like this and take steps to resolve it.
Reply 3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I don’t understand how someone can be against mental health - it just refers to the health of a certain part of your body (in simple terms). That’s like being against physical health :confused:

Anyway, being unhappy and feeling down isn’t necessarily depression - people go through periods of feeling negative and that is completely normal. If you’re worried you might have some sort of condition, you should see a GP to confirm, but otherwise, identify what’s making you feel like this and take steps to resolve it.

I think what contributes to them being against it is people using depression or anxiety as excuse for things like being unemployed for example
Reply 4
Original post by Xarao
The problem here is, you go to your family and immediately say that you're depressed/might be. You need to talk about what's making you feel upset and not just blame it on depression.

I think saying I might be wont end well. I might just be being silly to be honest, I just might be having bad days
You must be nonwhite lol every millennial nonwhite person I know keeps *****ing on social media especially that they want their "people and community" to take mental health seriously.

I get it, from both perspectives. Old school reactionaries say it's an excuse or that the psychiatry and pharmaceutical industries are drug rackets. New age "revolutionaries" say that it needs to be taken seriously for childcare reasons, educational and workplace equality (not excluding adhd children or not terminating someone for missing work due to a panic attack). The people I hate are the self diagnosing armchair pseudo intellectuals who try to create far left "movements" via social bloody media. They went to Mayoclinic's website on a bad day and said oh yes that sounds like me. Now the next time you see them they identify as a million things at once that don't even make sense.
Reply 6
Original post by Bang Outta Order
You must be nonwhite lol every millennial nonwhite person I know keeps *****ing on social media especially that they want their "people and community" to take mental health seriously.

I get it, from both perspectives. Old school reactionaries say it's an excuse or that the psychiatry and pharmaceutical industries are drug rackets. New age "revolutionaries" say that it needs to be taken seriously for childcare reasons, educational and workplace equality (not excluding adhd children or not terminating someone for missing work due to a panic attack). The people I hate are the self diagnosing armchair pseudo intellectuals who try to create far left "movements" via social bloody media. They went to Mayoclinic's website on a bad day and said oh yes that sounds like me. Now the next time you see them they identify as a million things at once that don't even make sense.

I think I agree with my parents to be honest. Yes we are none white.
Original post by Anonymous
They would be livid if I had it, they are against mental health issues its the same as someone being homophobic but they are against depressed people. I don't know what to call it but they are against depression, anxiety and stuff like that. I used to be 100% against it as well, I still would be but I have been kind of feeling a bit unhappy recently when im just down and stuff. I have been a bit worried that it might be something to do with mental health and its scary because my family are against it.

I don't think there's anything I can do with them being against mental health, they don't cause any issues to it and they keep their opinions to themselves. Its pretty much the same as if you are homophobic its fine as long as you keep it to yourself and don't harm anyone about it. People have the right to have their own opinion. I have just been having this sadness, I have been researching it and I have been having to clear my history because my family might see it. I heard it can be depression if its long term, I have been feeling like this for a week on and off the rest of time I have been fine. Im just worried what if it lasts long term then it might be something wrong and I will have to tell my parents at some point if I do have it.

Why not have a look at the advice and guidance available from the charity Mind? If you don’t fancy speaking to anyone, there’s plenty of info online. You may be able work out if you need further help, or if these are things you can manage on your own.

You can always post more here after you’ve had a look.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Why not have a look at the advice and guidance available from the charity Mind? If you don’t fancy speaking to anyone, there’s plenty of info online. You may be able work out if you need further help, or if these are things you can manage on your own.

You can always post more here after you’ve had a look.

I'm never going to get any further help I can assure you
Reply 9
I'm never going to get further help @Admit-One
Original post by jedygety
just because you feel a bit unhappy doesn't mean you have depression...

young people seem to think life should be completely comfortable and happy at all times, and that any negative emotion just mean they have 'mental health issues'. it's embarrassing

develop some resilience and pray that you never experience true depression later on in life

Yes hopefully it's depression then and hopefully i won't ever get it. It is borderline embarrassing to have it and that's why I'm worried but hopefully and hopefully its nothing
Yes hopefully it's depression then and hopefully i won't ever get it. It is borderline embarrassing to have it and that's why I'm worried but hopefully and hopefully its nothing

you aren't understanding me. there's nothing embarrassing about having TRUE depression. what is embarrassing is young people THINKING they have depression because they've read about it and have felt sad for a few days.

you don't have depression.
I'm never going to get further help @Admit-One

I’m not telling you to. I’m asking you to read info published by a relevant group and see if you think any of it applies to you.

If it doesn’t, job done.
Original post by Admit-One
I’m not telling you to. I’m asking you to read info published by a relevant group and see if you think any of it applies to you.

If it doesn’t, job done.

I might check that
Original post by jedygety
you aren't understanding me. there's nothing embarrassing about having TRUE depression. what is embarrassing is young people THINKING they have depression because they've read about it and have felt sad for a few days.

you don't have depression.

Imo and my families it kind of is embarassing to have true depression, im not trying to be offensive by saying that, like if you have depression do your thing but in my opinion it is and im not going to go into my reasons why since it might end badly with other users. Its not impossible that I might have it and I have experience other stuff other than feeling sad but I just haven't mentioned that in the op
Being so ignorant about mental health is exactly why so many people don't feel comfortable about seeking help in the first place. It's your choice whether you're prepared to educate yourself on depression and other illnesses, no one can force you to accept them or take them seriously. But it's only going to be you who suffers and stays miserable (unless you pass this kind of attitude down to any future children and they end up resenting you for it), the options are there, help is there, but you have to want it.
Imo and my families it kind of is embarassing to have true depression, im not trying to be offensive by saying that, like if you have depression do your thing but in my opinion it is and im not going to go into my reasons why since it might end badly with other users. Its not impossible that I might have it and I have experience other stuff other than feeling sad but I just haven't mentioned that in the op

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or if you’re actually just extremely ignorant and stupid.
Put it this way, if your mum got cancer, would you be embarrassed of her? Would you tell her to stop being so weak, suck it up and just stop having cancer?

If you said yes, then please seek psychological evaluation because you’re extremely messed up. If you answered no, then the same should apply to depression. It is an illness, which requires treatment which can be in the form of medication or therapy to cure. It is not embarrassing, it is not weak and it most definitely isn’t something you and your parents can simply “not agree with”. It isn’t an opinion, it’s a literally disorder which is recognised by every doctor and has a diagnostic criteria.

It also isn’t an “excuse” to be lazy. I’ve struggled with several mental illnesses and am currently in treatment and about to start medication. I’m also predicted all A*s in my GCSEs and have written an essay to a first degree university level on a programme with an Oxford University PhD tutor. I’m not lazy, and I’m not embarrassed.

You also don’t have depression because you’re a bit sad. Don’t throw around a serious, life threatening disorder like it’s a feeling. If you’re sad, find the root of the problem, address it, change it and move on. Tell your parents to grow the hell up and educate themselves because it’s extremely ignorant what they’re saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending