The Student Room Group

Motivation whilst studying

I have done the whole thing of turning devices off but it’s not a device probably I can really get distracted by anything and it’s jeoparadising my grades! I have a strict mother and me failing is not an option. Can anyone give me advice on how to study without procrastinating.
Original post by Briana5647
I have done the whole thing of turning devices off but it’s not a device probably I can really get distracted by anything and it’s jeoparadising my grades! I have a strict mother and me failing is not an option. Can anyone give me advice on how to study without procrastinating.

Keep your workspace as clean as possible, untidy things can be distracting. Don't be afraid to hum to yourself or distract yourself in a way that doesn't take away from your revision. Remember your exams are for you, they're yours, not your mother's. Stay hydrated.

Have you tried Pomodoro? It's where you work for 25 minutes and then take a 5 minute break, or if you want to have longer you could work for 45 mins and have a 15 min break. It's basically ensuring that you have time to relax and keep your mind fresh rather than slogging through work.

Hey, im literally the same. The only method ive found to work sometimes is ill set a timer for about 20 mins and do as much work as i can before i take a 10 min break. and if you stick with it you can slowly start upping the amount of time between breaks. its definitely not the best way to work but it can be useful just to get some work done if not a lot.

I find these little bursts of work a good way to break the monotony. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Batteries
Keep your workspace as clean as possible, untidy things can be distracting. Don't be afraid to hum to yourself or distract yourself in a way that doesn't take away from your revision. Remember your exams are for you, they're yours, not your mother's. Stay hydrated.

Have you tried Pomodoro? It's where you work for 25 minutes and then take a 5 minute break, or if you want to have longer you could work for 45 mins and have a 15 min break. It's basically ensuring that you have time to relax and keep your mind fresh rather than slogging through work.

I might try that but with a timer because I tend to take breaks but then lose track of time thank you! My workplace is quite messy oh my too many books I’ll clean it up as well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dailyCrocodiles
Hey, im literally the same. The only method ive found to work sometimes is ill set a timer for about 20 mins and do as much work as i can before i take a 10 min break. and if you stick with it you can slowly start upping the amount of time between breaks. its definitely not the best way to work but it can be useful just to get some work done if not a lot.

I find these little bursts of work a good way to break the monotony. Good luck :smile:

Ok thank you I’ve never done that before hopefully it works!
Flashcards. Seriously this is one thing worth buying.
Reply 6
Original post by tinygirl96
Flashcards. Seriously this is one thing worth buying.

I do have Flashcards but staying motivated and actually using them is the problem
Make notes

I practice so-called "writing marathons" from time to time to keep track of words I write per hour. So, I noticed that sometimes I can easily write 1000 words and more, while there are times when I cannot concentrate at all, and it seems I have to squeeze my brain as a lemon to get at least a drop of "intellectual juice", to produce marginally 300 words. Indeed, distractions are everywhere. The time you feel focused and inspired you may start receiving messages or phone calls from friends or you may suddenly notice that the very special book covered in dust is winking at you, alluding: Read me, read me, I want to be read! Yeah, this is the fever of imagination nurtured by the absence of motivation to do what you Have to do. I must confess, I am the most productive when the deadline is almost dead:colone: Despite the versatile interests that always encourage me to gain new knowledge, I feel like I am procrastinating all the time, becoming productive at the last minute, even the constantly beeping timer does not help...
Alas, we cannot just live for the sake of mere self-expression, as we have to study, work, take care of our duties... and if we could, I doubt that even highly resourceful minds were involved in creative activities all the time.
Well, what can I say, it is impossible to study without procrastinating, as it is also a part of the intellectual process, and slight procrastination can turn into meaningful reflections, brain reload, so it may be not harmful at all. But you should love what to do: that is the main secret. If you have to study something not very encouraging but your grade depends on it, so pretend that you are doing something essential. Basically, you are tricking your brain, convincing it that yet another boring assignment is, in fact, an incredibly compelling one. Even if you have to play a role for it, hiding your real emotions towards it, you will be happy in the end after you obtain a good grade. If it results in success, so it is worth the struggle.
P.S. I hope that the discipline you have chosen is not something you actually hate. Such cases are quite hopeless. I knew students quit prestigious universities just because they did not like how things were there.
Better love your future profession, and study as if it is your great mission for today!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Daniel.Scribbler
I practice so-called "writing marathons" from time to time to keep track of words I write per hour. So, I noticed that sometimes I can easily write 1000 words and more, while there are times when I cannot concentrate at all, and it seems I have to squeeze my brain as a lemon to get at least a drop of "intellectual juice", to produce marginally 300 words. Indeed, distractions are everywhere. The time you feel focused and inspired you may start receiving messages or phone calls from friends or you may suddenly notice that the very special book covered in dust is winking at you, alluding: Read me, read me, I want to be read! Yeah, this is the fever of imagination nurtured by the absence of motivation to do what you Have to do. I must confess, I am the most productive when the deadline is almost dead:colone: Despite the versatile interests that always encourage me to gain new knowledge, I feel like I am procrastinating all the time, becoming productive at the last minute, even the constantly beeping timer does not help...
Alas, we cannot just live for the sake of mere self-expression, as we have to study, work, take care of our duties... and if we could, I doubt that even highly resourceful minds were involved in creative activities all the time.
Well, what can I say, it is impossible to study without procrastinating, as it is also a part of the intellectual process, and slight procrastination can turn into meaningful reflections, brain reload, so it may be not harmful at all. But you should love what to do: that is the main secret. If you have to study something not very encouraging but your grade depends on it, so pretend that you are doing something essential. Basically, you are tricking your brain, convincing it that yet another boring assignment is, in fact, an incredibly compelling one. Even if you have to play a role for it, hiding your real emotions towards it, you will be happy in the end after you obtain a good grade. If it results in success, so it is worth the struggle.
P.S. I hope that the discipline you have chosen is not something you actually hate. Such cases are quite hopeless. I knew students quit prestigious universities just because they did not like how things were there.
Better love your future profession, and study as if it is your great mission for today!

The part when you said “The time you feel focused and inspired you may start receiving messages or phone calls from friends” that’s exactly what happens to me it’s soo annoying because I feel motivated at a bad time. I will take your advice because you said what I meant into a much better way. THANK YOU SOO MUCH!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending