The Student Room Group

What's wrong with me?

This post may sounds very stupid to some people but lets see where it goes.

I've started uni in september and I'm already 2 months in (exams are in January). I live very far away from home (6 hour drive).

At the beginning I didn't really have any problems whatsoever, I didn't miss home as much in fact it was the total opposite. I was really happy that I could be independent and work for my ambitions and meet my flatmates etc. Eventually I found out that I don't really feel connected to my flatmates, I mean we go out and chill as a flat (hard with the COVID situation). In my entire life I only had my college group friends that I've felt connected to because we've done things outside of college and one of them became my best friend (we share a lot of things) - so you get the point I feel a bit lonely.

When I was depressed around mid November that I didn't even revise the notes I created, my flatmate noticed something was off and asked me what was wrong and I told him about how I was behind with revision etc. we had a talk and eventually I felt better and I've started to learn more and effectively.

The problem is, I feel like something is missing... I don't know why but I really miss home (can't go home because I need to revise for my exams and that means I'll be missing out on christmas this year). For some reason I've had these times were I had flashbacks about the times I enjoyed and really wish I could go back to the past and live those moments again and that I wish I never had such a stressful life with uni.

My question is, has anyone else experienced something similar? right now I just feel like I want to cry because I don't even have friends that are like me (or my best friend), I really wish I could go back and re-live college again because I enjoyed every moment of it. Do you think I'm over exaggerating? Do you think I would eventually get over it at some point? I'm not going to lie, I do have a lot to do like exams, apply for EU settlement, find a place to rent for 2nd year etc.

Thanks in advance
Yesss haha....Im in first year too and also have the exact same stuff to do(have to literally catch up on ALL my work this term before Jan exams cuz I just havent been able to work lool😂, apply for EU settlement, somehow quickly get on with asking flatmates to live w me next year(gonna be a tad awkward at this point ngl😬😂), and apply to a load of SW/internship stuff as well.....

Cant you go back home and study there though? I also live outside the UK but I'm doing that.....
Original post by Anonymous
This post may sounds very stupid to some people but lets see where it goes.

I've started uni in september and I'm already 2 months in (exams are in January). I live very far away from home (6 hour drive).

At the beginning I didn't really have any problems whatsoever, I didn't miss home as much in fact it was the total opposite. I was really happy that I could be independent and work for my ambitions and meet my flatmates etc. Eventually I found out that I don't really feel connected to my flatmates, I mean we go out and chill as a flat (hard with the COVID situation). In my entire life I only had my college group friends that I've felt connected to because we've done things outside of college and one of them became my best friend (we share a lot of things) - so you get the point I feel a bit lonely.

When I was depressed around mid November that I didn't even revise the notes I created, my flatmate noticed something was off and asked me what was wrong and I told him about how I was behind with revision etc. we had a talk and eventually I felt better and I've started to learn more and effectively.

The problem is, I feel like something is missing... I don't know why but I really miss home (can't go home because I need to revise for my exams and that means I'll be missing out on christmas this year). For some reason I've had these times were I had flashbacks about the times I enjoyed and really wish I could go back to the past and live those moments again and that I wish I never had such a stressful life with uni.

My question is, has anyone else experienced something similar? right now I just feel like I want to cry because I don't even have friends that are like me (or my best friend), I really wish I could go back and re-live college again because I enjoyed every moment of it. Do you think I'm over exaggerating? Do you think I would eventually get over it at some point? I'm not going to lie, I do have a lot to do like exams, apply for EU settlement, find a place to rent for 2nd year etc.

Thanks in advance

I feel you lmao, I’m so far behind too and struggling. I’m at home but like I wish i wish in Birmingham on campus because it would be easier. Idk I feel like you will get over it but at the same time you need to go home and have that feeling of normality back I suppose.
Reply 3
Yesss haha....Im in first year too and also have the exact same stuff to do(have to literally catch up on ALL my work this term before Jan exams cuz I just havent been able to work lool😂, apply for EU settlement, somehow quickly get on with asking flatmates to live w me next year(gonna be a tad awkward at this point ngl😬😂), and apply to a load of SW/internship stuff as well.....

Cant you go back home and study there though? I also live outside the UK but I'm doing that.....

I can't go back home
It would take me £500 just to go back home (a taxi driver my family relies on)
I would use public transport however my mom is worried with the COVID situation
even if I was home, I wouldn't be able to revise because my sister runs 2 corner shops and it's too stressful just to think about it.
I sometimes wish my best friend went to the same uni as me, I feel like it would make a change (I do stay in contact with him and still talk to him quite often, he's a good friend to talk about problems)
Reply 4
I feel you lmao, I’m so far behind too and struggling. I’m at home but like I wish i wish in Birmingham on campus because it would be easier. Idk I feel like you will get over it but at the same time you need to go home and have that feeling of normality back I suppose.

How far is it? because I feel like the distance makes it even worse for me
and did you feel any different once you got home?
How far is it? because I feel like the distance makes it even worse for me
and did you feel any different once you got home?

I never went to campus so I wouldn’t know how it feels. The uni is far like 2hours but I feel like I’d do more work at uni than at home

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending