The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Can I get into the University or Birmingham with A*AC?

I want to study BSc Psychology at Birmingham but I’m not sure if I’ll be considered with my grades. Normally, for Psychology the entry requirements are AAA but because I’ve studied science subjects it would be AAB. So would I still be considered with one grade above and one grade below? Is being one grade off more important than a good Personal Statement and Reference?
Also I’ve heard that Birmingham are giving lower offers this year because of COVID, will this make me more likely to get a place?
Thanks in advance
Edit:
I got an A* in Psychology, A in Sociology and a C in Biology
(edited 3 years ago)
You dont have the entry requirements so it will be at the discretion of the university whether they accept you Nobody can tell other than Birmingham university.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
You dont have the entry requirements so it will be at the discretion of the university whether they accept you Nobody can tell other than Birmingham university.

Useless and unhelpful answer!

I emailed various universities- Nottingham, Birmingham, Sheffield, Newcastle explaining my situation with my grades (A* B C) and they've said they'll happily consider me and missing the AAB entry requirements isn't an issue due to everything that happened with covid last year. Give them an email and apply- as long as you have. good personal statement I'm sure you'll get in! :smile:
Original post by sfa.lcas
Useless and unhelpful answer!

I emailed various universities- Nottingham, Birmingham, Sheffield, Newcastle explaining my situation with my grades (A* B C) and they've said they'll happily consider me and missing the AAB entry requirements isn't an issue due to everything that happened with covid last year. Give them an email and apply- as long as you have. good personal statement I'm sure you'll get in! :smile:

Many universities will take the opposite view. You might be lucky. Others might not be. Some universities are stricter than others. You would find that places like Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham and others wouldnt. With all due respect Sheffield and Newcastle are not as competitive as those I mentioned but nobody knows whether a university will accept someone and it will alter depending on the subject within universities. Manchester last year were rejecting students with narrow misses in 1 subject even though they met the overall. There was an indian student who needed 85% overall including 80% in their Maths exam. They were rejected with 93% overall but missed the Maths grade by 1 mark. I think it was for Physics. Nobody can tell what a university will do and for you to falsely claim otherwise is extremely unhelpful.
Original post by MisterSakks
I want to study BSc Psychology at Birmingham but I’m not sure if I’ll be considered with my grades. Normally, for Psychology the entry requirements are AAA but because I’ve studied science subjects it would be AAB. So would I still be considered with one grade above and one grade below? Is being one grade off more important than a good Personal Statement and Reference?
Also I’ve heard that Birmingham are giving lower offers this year because of COVID, will this make me more likely to get a place?
Thanks in advance
Edit:
I got an A* in Psychology, A in Sociology and a C in Biology

I got into Aston which their grades are ABB with BCC so u can
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Many universities will take the opposite view. You might be lucky. Others might not be. Some universities are stricter than others. You would find that places like Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham and others wouldnt. With all due respect Sheffield and Newcastle are not as competitive as those I mentioned but nobody knows whether a university will accept someone and it will alter depending on the subject within universities. Manchester last year were rejecting students with narrow misses in 1 subject even though they met the overall. There was an indian student who needed 85% overall including 80% in their Maths exam. They were rejected with 93% overall but missed the Maths grade by 1 mark. I think it was for Physics. Nobody can tell what a university will do and for you to falsely claim otherwise is extremely unhelpful.

No, you are being extremely demoralising, I am only encouraging the thread starter to apply. If you don't apply then you never know. "With all due respect", they didn't ask about the likes of Durham, LSE and UCL, they were asking about Birmingham which is in a similar league to Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle.
Original post by sfa.lcas
No, you are being extremely demoralising, I am only encouraging the thread starter to apply. If you don't apply then you never know. "With all due respect", they didn't ask about the likes of Durham, LSE and UCL, they were asking about Birmingham which is in a similar league to Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle.

The reality is nobody knows what will happen. Just because you have been told for 1 subject it doesnt mean every subject in Birmingham or Nottingham will accept you. It goes down to how many applicants a particular university has for any given subject . For some they might be over subscribed so they wont accept a C. For others they cannot fill their spaces so will accept the C. Nobody knows how this will work. For example Manchester didnt accept someone who just missed their offer. Leeds on the other other hand accepted somebody the same year 6 IB grades below their offer. It is all about supply and demand and neither you nor me are in a position to know that about every subject in every university. Thinking you know better is very unhelpful. The only people who can answer this is the admissions officer at a particular university but the real world tells you there is a strong possibility of a rejection.

As far as this years CAG is concerned they have been very favourable to many students. The reality is that 16% were given A* grades and 41% the A grade compared to approx 8% and 23%. Nearly double the numbers have achieved top grades than in previous year. This years students were put at a huge advantage compared to students sitting previously. The reason for this is that the CAG'S were not subject to moderation like exams are every year. There is absolutely no reason for exams to be lenient because of CAG's.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve decided to apply anyway because I think it’s still worth a shot- plus I got offers from Manchester, Queen Mary and Southampton with my current grades so...
If you have any other advice or useful information please let me know.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve decided to apply anyway because I think it’s still worth a shot- plus I got offers from Manchester, Queen Mary and Southampton with my current grades so...

Good on you!!
Reply 9

Good on you, let us know how you get on! <3
Would just like to add after the *negativite user's* comments, I got into 4 Russel group unis with A*BC. It is fully possible and I hope you got in too!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending