The Student Room Group

Business Studies GCSE RETAKE

So In my GCSES I got 99876654 with a 4 in business studies. Now I want to retake business so I can possibly get a 7 and my GCSEs can stand out more. How would I go about this?
I think this may be a waste of your time. Top unis would still accept you as you have a really strong set of GCSEs. Most of the time they do not look that much into your GCSEs unless they are related to your course. Even if you applied to business studies at a university they would look at your maths grades, english grades and maybe ask for 5 subjects that are graded 6 and above (at a good university). I would not worry about it i know people who got a 3 at gcse business studies and are now applying for management. Instead i would focus your efforts onto studying for your A levels and applying for something that would really make you stand out. You could do an EPQ (good for getting a lower offer), apply for sutton trust (thats really good for top unis my bf got an offer from exeter for comp sci of AA bc of this), do a programme for a uni you would like to apply for (i did discover bath and got an A and now have an alternative offer as well as something for my personal statement- was only a few weeks as well). There are other programmes like realising opportunities that you can apply for and just general work experience. Just look around they really make you stand out bc no one else can be bothered and you only have do one or two to make yourself stand out. However, in order to actually answer your question you would have to contact your sixth form/ college and ask if they do a retake for business; a lot of them dont and only offer English and Maths. You can pay money to have a retake but you would have to get a school to let you do it and it is quite a hassle. Honestly i am applying for university now and many people have already applied and anyone who did these things got amazing offers at amazing unis like St Andrews in some cases despite not meeting the grade requirements. I am applying for a german course w a grade 4 in german and i contacted universities who just did not care that much and said it would not be an issue. Sorry for such a long answer hope this helps.
It has helped a bit. Now I am conflicted because my school doesn’t offer business and I know it will be such a hassle but I’m scared I won’t be accepted coz of that 4. Isit possible to start an EPQ in year 13?
Original post by misscupcakeee29
It has helped a bit. Now I am conflicted because my school doesn’t offer business and I know it will be such a hassle but I’m scared I won’t be accepted coz of that 4. Isit possible to start an EPQ in year 13?

Yeah i completely understand what i did was i emailed universities and asked if my grades were a problem so that's what i would do. Honestly, GCSE business is quite far removed from A level or degree level that it should not be a big deal the key is putting a spin on it. So you could mention it in an interview and mention how its motivated you more to work harder to prove yourself after that grade. However, i severely doubt that they will care as much as you might think. I know people with poor GCSE maths grades who are now going on to apply to do a maths related course or computer science or biology. In my business studies class there is someone who got a 3 and is now one of the best students in the class and is applying to places such as Exeter. It happens. Just make sure you email universities or call them up (calling is quicker) and i even got advice from top universities saying what they would look for in my personal statement. Yes you can do an EPQ in your second year what happens is you get a predicted grade and then your offer would be on the condition that you achieve that grade in your EPQ. Of course it is better to do it in your first year but you can start anytime. If you are starting in the second year then tell your tutor so he can make sure to get a predicted grade before you send off your application.
Okay thank you for that advice, I think I will just leave my business grade. I knew it would be too much to deal with in the first place but felt like I had too. Now I’m going to email some universities to see how they would react to that grade.
It’ll be a waste of time. Your grades are extremely good so I doubt employers etc will care about your pass in business studies
Original post by hootdoot04
It’ll be a waste of time. Your grades are extremely good so I doubt employers etc will care about your pass in business studies

Employers probably won’t but top universities definitely will won’t they?
Original post by misscupcakeee29
Employers probably won’t but top universities definitely will won’t they?

Depends on the course

Quick Reply

Latest