The Student Room Group

Have you got a job out of University? If so what was the salary?

Has anyone got a job after University? And if you have, what was the job and what range was your salary if you don’t mind disclosing the information with us, because I’m hearing things such as they average £30k and some financial jobs give up to £50k for graduates but then seeing jobs for graduates that give £22k?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nurses, midwives, and allied health professionals have no option but to do a degree to work at that level (otherwise work as a support worker) and salary upon qualifying is 24k.
£24k? Is that a lot of money for someone with a degree? after tax you'd take home and after paying rent you basically have little to last the month :/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
It's not classed as "a lot", but I definitely have more than "scraps" to live off each month. Add on antisocial hours pay, take off tax, pay my mortgage and bills, and even if I did that by myself I'd still comfortably be able to eat and have a life. My husband's on a similar pay and between us we've never missed a rent/mortgage payment, never missed paying a bill, never missed a meal, been able to afford having a life and always been able to afford a holiday - some of it is being sensible with money.
Reply 4
Original post by Mohamed Idris
£24k? Is that a lot of money for someone with a degree? after tax you'd take home and after paying rent you basically have scraps to last the month :/

Thats pretty much the median wage in the UK and for new grads.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/news/18-06-2020/sb257-higher-education-graduate-outcomes-statistics#:~:text=1%20There%20were%20361%2C215%20graduates%20who%20responded%20to,46%25%20of%20complete%20responses%20where%20non-EU%20achieved%2029%25.

Edit
Or at least it was pre pandemic...
Original post by Emily_B
It's not classed as "a lot", but I definitely have more than "scraps" to live off each month. Add on antisocial hours pay, take off tax, pay my mortgage and bills, and even if I did that by myself I'd still comfortably be able to eat and have a life. My husband's on a similar pay and between us we've never missed a rent/mortgage payment, never missed paying a bill, never missed a meal, been able to afford having a life and always been able to afford a holiday - some of it is being sensible with money.

I’m really sorry I thought you were telling me how much they earn not how much you earn. It’s certainly a lot of money I just thought for a graduate it’s less as I always hear graduates earn a median of 30k. Is there any pay bonuses as I might do it for University? and what University course did you do?
My first salary out of uni (quite a few years back now) was circa £19k. Not living in London and didn't drive so fairly easy to live off that.

There seems to be some mad expectation that everyone will walk into some graduate role. Never been true.

Edit: It was an entry level position at HSBC in case anyone thinks finance is some golden goose of a career.

Thanks alot! I guess I was just being crazy unrealistic, I always hear graduates earn on average £9k more and stuff like that
It largely depends on what degree you do and what sector/ job you would want after university and what university you went to, some obviously pay more than others
https://www.graduate-jobs.com/gco/Booklet/graduate-salary-salaries.jsp
https://www.cityam.com/average-graduate-salaries-university-and-subject-go-and/
Original post by Admit-One
My first salary out of uni (quite a few years back now) was circa £19k. Not living in London and didn't drive so fairly easy to live off that.

There seems to be some mad expectation that everyone will walk into some graduate role. Never been true.

Edit: It was an entry level position at HSBC in case anyone thinks finance is some golden goose of a career.

Seriously? I’ve always wanted to study Finance next year as I heard you can earn like 30k as soon as you start. What’s the job role?
Has anyone got a job after University? And if you have, what was the job and what range was your salary if you don’t mind disclosing the information with us, because I’m hearing things such as they average £30k and some financial jobs give up to £50k for graduates but then seeing jobs for graduates that give £22k?

I had a couple offers (from an engineering masters).
A financing tech job at £40K + bonus, an engineering grad scheme £28K and a funded PhD with a stipend.
I chose the PhD :laugh:
Original post by mnot
I had a couple offers (from an engineering masters).
A financing tech job at £40K + bonus, an engineering grad scheme £28K and a funded PhD with a stipend.
I chose the PhD :laugh:

I guess it all comes down to preference
Seriously? I’ve always wanted to study Finance next year as I heard you can earn like 30k as soon as you start. What’s the job role?

First role was just a data entry monkey, (job market very poor when I left and found myself in a similar position as other graduates), then an account services clerk, then various roles relating to new applications, data integrity and eventually credit underwriting. None well paid :smile: :smile:

Competition for £30k starting salaries will be very tough, esp. with COVID and Brexit.
First role was just a data entry monkey, (job market very poor when I left and found myself in a similar position as other graduates), then an account services clerk, then various roles relating to new applications, data integrity and eventually credit underwriting. None well paid :smile: :smile:

Competition for £30k starting salaries will be very tough, esp. with COVID and Brexit.

I guess in the long run it helps, no one starts getting a good pay until they’re like 30 to be honest
Reply 14
Very few jobs pay £50k starting salary for fresh grads, but they do exist. These are jobs in front office high finance, strategy consulting at MBB firms, corporate law, and tech at FAANG companies. Extremely competitive even for people at target unis

You certainly can, but not all finance roles pay £30k and they are highly competitive

must have been back office. Only client facing roles get paid the big bucks
Original post by tjames988
You certainly can, but not all finance roles pay £30k and they are highly competitive

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by sanadtw3
must have been back office. Only client facing roles get paid the big bucks

Indeed. There are a ridiculous amount of jobs that just amount to processing spreadsheets or copy/pasting from one system to another. Hey, it was a living :smile:
I’m really sorry I thought you were telling me how much they earn not how much you earn. It’s certainly a lot of money I just thought for a graduate it’s less as I always hear graduates earn a median of 30k. Is there any pay bonuses as I might do it for University? and what University course did you do?

I did nursing so telling you what nurses and other health professionals earn is the same as telling you what I earn.
30k is, from what I can gather, what graduates earn after a few years' experience.

Quick Reply

Latest