The Student Room Group

What's studying joint honours like

I'm not sure whether to study journalism or English, so I'm thinking of taking a joint honours at Cardiff. But I've heard that studying joint honours is really messy with time tables, and a lot of people end up hating one of their subjects. How true is that?
i study a triple honours and the three departments work together to avoid timetable clashes. especially with those two subjects, you won't have enough contact hours to make clashes likely or common

if you hate one of the subjects, the advantage is you can reduce your study time for it. each subject will have required modules that you can't avoid but you'll probably be left with ~60 credits worth of stuff to choose yourself in each of the second and third years which lets you put more time into the one you like. look at the course specification to see what you have to take and what you can choose to take

studying two different fields of academia is particularly good for one reason which is that you can use the 'method' of one field to critique the other one ie you can learn a lot more by studying not just two things but in two different ways
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
i study a triple honours and the three departments work together to avoid timetable clashes. especially with those two subjects, you won't have enough contact hours to make clashes likely or common

if you hate one of the subjects, the advantage is you can reduce your study time for it. each subject will have required modules that you can't avoid but you'll probably be left with ~60 credits worth of stuff to choose yourself in each of the second and third years which lets you put more time into the one you like. look at the course specification to see what you have to take and what you can choose to take

studying two different fields of academia is particularly good for one reason which is that you can use the 'method' of one field to critique the other one ie you can learn a lot more by studying not just two things but in two different ways

That's so helpful thank you!
If you hate one of the subjects, is it also possible to switch in the first year to just taking one? I was also wondering if it's harder to make friends doing two subjects because of having less time in each?
Original post by lyrab03
That's so helpful thank you!
If you hate one of the subjects, is it also possible to switch in the first year to just taking one? I was also wondering if it's harder to make friends doing two subjects because of having less time in each?

it may be possible depending on the departmental policy. i remember my insurance choice specifically designed all first year joint econ courses to be identical such that switching was possible but that's unusual so check with the university

making friends is about exposure not time. meet people you like? just stay in touch with them - you don't need to be seeing them daily
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
it may be possible depending on the departmental policy. i remember my insurance choice specifically designed all first year joint econ courses to be identical such that switching was possible but that's unusual so check with the university

making friends is about exposure not time. meet people you like? just stay in touch with them - you don't need to be seeing them daily

That's a great point actually. Thanks so much that's made my choice a lot easier!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending