The Student Room Group

Personal statement too long

My statement is almost finished, and its only 207 characters too long (which I should be able to cut out) but when I checked the length in the UCAS section I counted it and I was 22 lines over! That would completely destroy my statement if I had to take all of that out, is that normal or have I done something wrong?
It is normal, the way UCAS calculates it is slightly strange. First, on the UCAS count, remove the lines separating paragraphs because I am pretty sure they count even though there are no words.
Then, try and shorten sentences without losing meaning (I.e cut out smaller words, use shorter connectives and shorten long unnecessary expressions)
Lastly, if you have to cut out content, try to simplify your explanation of what you did and focus more on what you got from it. For example, if you talk about a book you read, maybe shorten your explanation of what the book is about and focus on what you got out of reading it.
Hope this helps.
In addition to the above, remove any reference to your A Levels, and reduce your hobbies (or non-subject related content) to a couple of sentences, or just remove it
You're fine.
Reply 4
I completely agree with what others have already mentioned and you have nothing to worry about as this issue is quite common. It might also be worth using Grammarly, I use the premium version for my academic essays and a really nice feature is how engaging it is to your reading and ways that it suggests improvements include omitting long wordy sentences that add no extra meaning to your overall narrative.

Good luck!
Mia
Original post by Smouncher
It is normal, the way UCAS calculates it is slightly strange. First, on the UCAS count, remove the lines separating paragraphs because I am pretty sure they count even though there are no words.
Then, try and shorten sentences without losing meaning (I.e cut out smaller words, use shorter connectives and shorten long unnecessary expressions)
Lastly, if you have to cut out content, try to simplify your explanation of what you did and focus more on what you got from it. For example, if you talk about a book you read, maybe shorten your explanation of what the book is about and focus on what you got out of reading it.
Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending