The Student Room Group

Annoyed at myself for missing grad scheme deadlines

I am 30 and graduated from university when I was 23...I then went on to do a pgce and went in to teaching for a few years. This basically made me loathe teaching and so I wanted to change careers. I discovered relevant grad schemes last year but I didn’t feel ready to apply, so held it off until this year.

With all the COVID uncertainty this year, and job losses, I still put off my applications this year....I’ve heard horror stories of just how competitive grad schemes are so I almost felt that applying might be a waste of time. I thought if most people are unsuccessful what so I really have to offer?

I feel that was mostly a confidence issue and now am kicking myself. Whilst I have managed to secure a mentoring role in a school (just until July next year) I have been thinking about what I can do after that. So I applied for a grad scheme on a whim and have gone through two stages, awatng to hear about the third. I feel that if I had applied for more then I would’ve clearly had greater chance but the deadlines for them have passed.

I’m mostly gutted because it seems like a great opportunity for progression, and I’d be able to gain the qualifications I need. Whereas now, the entry level jobs in the field I want to go in to are so competitive and I’d have to fund the courses myself.

Should I try again next year, or should I just accept it for what it is and aim to get a ‘normal’ job (non grad scheme)
Original post by imabutterfly
I am 30 and graduated from university when I was 23...I then went on to do a pgce and went in to teaching for a few years. This basically made me loathe teaching and so I wanted to change careers. I discovered relevant grad schemes last year but I didn’t feel ready to apply, so held it off until this year.

With all the COVID uncertainty this year, and job losses, I still put off my applications this year....I’ve heard horror stories of just how competitive grad schemes are so I almost felt that applying might be a waste of time. I thought if most people are unsuccessful what so I really have to offer?

I feel that was mostly a confidence issue and now am kicking myself. Whilst I have managed to secure a mentoring role in a school (just until July next year) I have been thinking about what I can do after that. So I applied for a grad scheme on a whim and have gone through two stages, awatng to hear about the third. I feel that if I had applied for more then I would’ve clearly had greater chance but the deadlines for them have passed.

I’m mostly gutted because it seems like a great opportunity for progression, and I’d be able to gain the qualifications I need. Whereas now, the entry level jobs in the field I want to go in to are so competitive and I’d have to fund the courses myself.

Should I try again next year, or should I just accept it for what it is and aim to get a ‘normal’ job (non grad scheme)

You should kick yourself and then ask other people to join in.

Just learn from it and do both. You cant change things.
Why would you hate being a school teacher(where there’s not much pressure and you get a ton of holidays) and prefer to join a grad scheme, presumably some sort of boring high pressure repetitive job at some sort of finance or marketing company.
Original post by Mustafa0605
Why would you hate being a school teacher (where there’s not much pressure and you get a ton of holidays) and prefer to join a grad scheme, presumably some sort of boring high pressure repetitive job at some sort of finance or marketing company.

What???????
Original post by bones-mccoy
What???????

Exactly my thoughts haha!
There are still quite a few open grad schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending