The Student Room Group

(Final timetable) My Exams Are Clashed!

Two of my exams are scheduled to begin at 1630 local time on 10/06/2021. However, one is in an unrelated subject to my degree. I have already sent off my ucas! 5 others are also affected!
I have decided to take one of the following options:
1. Only take one exam on that day, Physics Unit 5, and focus on 3 subjects. Notify UCAS to remove the extra subject.
2. Pay an extra 1k bucks for my clash.
Reply 1
Why do you have to pay $1,000? Even that's HK dollars and if you need an hour or 2 of invigilation by yourself it seems steep. Clashes between different subjects are normally fairly easily sorted - on average at my centre there are 2-300 people affected by one every year. There are standard rules for this - talk to the centre to see what your options are.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Why do you have to pay $1,000? Even that's HK dollars and if you need an hour or 2 of invigilation by yourself it seems steep. Clashes between different subjects are normally fairly easily sorted - on average at my centre there are 2-300 people affected by one every year. There are standard rules for this - talk to the centre to see what your options are.

My centre does not have any arrangement for exam clashes normally, but if there are, an extra surcharge of $500 per hour is needed!
Reply 3
Original post by 8013
My centre does not have any arrangement for exam clashes normally, but if there are, an extra surcharge of $500 per hour is needed!

That seems like a lot, and I'd be a bit concerned that the centre doesn't have a normal arrangement for it, since exam clashes affect almost anyone who doesn't have a perfectly connected group of subjects (i.e. normally maths and physics are scheduled to not clash, but they don't try so hard to make sure maths and history don't clash). If you are absolutely sure you don't need the extra subject for any of your offers and you can't get them to decrease the cost, dropping the subject and notifying UCAS shouldn't cause any issues.
Reply 4
Can I notify them and the universities even after they give offers to me?
By focusing on 3 subjects, I can only have a maximum of 1h45min of unclashed exams each day, and my mind can be refreshed before each one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I got two offers. Both of them have these conditions:
Grades AAA including Maths and one of Physics/Chemistry
But if I drop that extra subject, my conditions will actually be Grade A in all three subjects (Maths and both Physics and Chemistry). My longest exam day would be only 1h45min. I have decided to work my ass off on M1 which I will take on 19/01/2021, so I can be exempted from the S2 exam which is to be held on that same day with a start time of 1300.
If I still take it and got something like a C/D, but got A*/A for the rest, is this also considered as meeting the offer? My total time of the exams would be 4h25min. I may take the first exam (1h45min) from 1530 until 1715, then the second from 1730 until 2010. I feel for those also taking s2, who have to start from 1300!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 8013
I got two offers. Both of them have these conditions:
Grades AAA including Maths and one of Physics/Chemistry
But if I drop that extra subject, my conditions will actually be Grade A in all three subjects (Maths and both Physics and Chemistry). My longest exam day would be only 1h45min. I have decided to work my ass off on M1 which I will take on 19/01/2021, so I can be exempted from the S2 exam which is to be held on that same day with a start time of 1300.
If I still take it and got something like a C/D, but got A*/A for the rest, is this also considered as meeting the offer? My total time of the exams would be 4h25min. I may take the first exam (1h45min) from 1530 until 1715, then the second from 1730 until 2010. I feel for those also taking s2, who have to start from 1300!

I don't entirely follow this but I will try to answer what I think you're asking.

If you are asking if it matters if you get a c/d in S2 but a/a* in all the other modules for Maths, then no it doesn't. Your overall grade is all that matters and this is calculated on your total UMS.

However, I don't quite understand your timings. If you are taking exams in an afternoon session then you have to start what you're taking at the afternoon start time - you can't decide not to take the one scheduled first and then just turn up after 90 minutes to take the second.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
I don't entirely follow this but I will try to answer what I think you're asking.

If you are asking if it matters if you get a c/d in S2 but a/a* in all the other modules for Maths, then no it doesn't. Your overall grade is all that matters and this is calculated on your total UMS.

However, I don't quite understand your timings. If you are taking exams in an afternoon session then you have to start what you're taking at the afternoon start time - you can't decide not to take the one scheduled first and then just turn up after 90 minutes to take the second.

I mean that if I still take the affected Chinese paper and get C/D but got A/A* in all of the Maths, Physics and Chemistry papers, will they consider this as still meeting the offer?
I have already sent an email to one of the unis asking about dropping Chinese to minimise disruption.
If I take only the Physics Unit 5 paper I will only have exams from 1630-1815, for 1h45min.
But if I take both papers (Physics and Chinese) then I will have a supervised break in between, starting at 1530 and ending at 2010.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 8013
I mean that if I still take the affected Chinese paper and get C/D but got A/A* in all of the Maths, Physics and Chemistry papers, will they consider this as still meeting the offer?
I have already sent an email to one of the unis asking about dropping Chinese to minimise disruption.
If I take only the Physics Unit 5 paper I will only have exams from 1630-1815, for 1h45min.
But if I take both papers (Physics and Chinese) then I will have a supervised break in between, starting at 1530 and ending at 2010.

Which abomination of a center is that? The 2 I know are the HKEAA (they’re horrible) and ITS (they probably don’t charge clashes and they’ll have someone invigilate until like 9pm if they need to. All this sounds like a hot mess
Reply 9
Original post by *****deadness
Which abomination of a center is that? The 2 I know are the HKEAA (they’re horrible) and ITS (they probably don’t charge clashes and they’ll have someone invigilate until like 9pm if they need to. All this sounds like a hot mess

HKEAA
Original post by 8013
HKEAA

No wonder. Oh well I hope it works out
Reply 11
No wonder. Oh well I hope it works out

If the uni replies me that I can be able to drop the subject, I will have only 3 connected subjects left with no clashes at all. If I get this reply then I can drop the subject, is it right?
Original post by 8013
If the uni replies me that I can be able to drop the subject, I will have only 3 connected subjects left with no clashes at all. If I get this reply then I can drop the subject, is it right?

If they tell you you can drop it then probably yeah, but you should check with all the UCAS choices since they all expect you to take it
Reply 13
If they tell you you can drop it then probably yeah, but you should check with all the UCAS choices since they all expect you to take it

I have sent an email to all of my choices about that.
Reply 14
Update:
2 unis have said OK for me dropping that affected subject. Still waiting for the other 3.
Reply 15
As a third uni just replied me that I can be able to drop the subject, that is already more than 50% of the unis saying that it is OK. As a result, I have notified all my 5 choices and UCAS that I will be dropping Chinese, with AS updates on results.
Original post by 8013
Two of my exams are scheduled to begin at 1630 local time on 10/06/2021. However, one is in an unrelated subject to my degree. I have already sent off my ucas! 5 others are also affected!
I have decided to take one of the following options:
1. Only take one exam on that day, Physics Unit 5, and focus on 3 subjects. Notify UCAS to remove the extra subject.
2. Pay an extra 1k bucks for my clash.

I had a clash with my resits in school. They organised everything, but I had to stay at my teacher's house and sit it the next day. I did worse than before :')
Original post by tetrisforaliens
I had a clash with my resits in school. They organised everything, but I had to stay at my teacher's house and sit it the next day.

Really? They changed the rules so this wasn't necessary in 2004
Original post by Compost
Really? They changed the rules so this wasn't necessary in 2004

Oh really? what to? This was in 2007 when I had to do this.

I am looking to resit that exam again though, many years later :')

Quick Reply

Latest