The Student Room Group

Is Pharmacy worth it?

Hi,
I've just received an unconditional for RGU and I'm still waiting to see if I get an offer from Strathclyde. I came on here to see if anyone else had been accepted, however, somehow fell down a rabbit hole and ended up reading forum after forum about how Pharmacy is a 'dying job' and how it isn't paid well - even though the average annual salary online is good.
Pharmacy has always been what I wanted to do but now, I'm worried that I am making the wrong choice. I don't want to do a 4 year degree just to find out that I can't get a job anywhere and I'll be, and I quote from another forum, depressed since it's such a bad job.
I've also applied to Pharmacology and Immunology (not received any offers) , the course really was just as a back up in case I didn't get into MPharm but now I'm wondering if I should properly consider it, despite having an unconditional for one of my top choices.
Does anyone else have these worries? Does anyone have any advice? Also, has anyone got offers from RGU, if I do accept, I'd love to know some people on the course.

Scroll to see replies

MPharm is a great choice because it's almost guaranteed long term employment. You have no outside competition, the pay is extremely good considering most other graduate roles are £25k and it's so hard to land a job these days. It's a strong and stable career that guarantees a life of middle class although you won't be making £100k unlikes doctors and lawyers.
Reply 2
Original post by AndyChow
MPharm is a great choice because it's almost guaranteed long term employment. You have no outside competition, the pay is extremely good considering most other graduate roles are £25k and it's so hard to land a job these days. It's a strong and stable career that guarantees a life of middle class although you won't be making £100k unlikes doctors and lawyers.

Sorry, Andy, but I disagree with almost everything you have said. If this was 1993, then yes, I would agree with you. This is the problem in 2020 in pharmacy, it is still being 'sold' to prospective students on outdated information. i'm not going to re-type everything, but you can check my history of posts that will refute most of what you say. I really wish it were all still true, but the only bit is at the end, you certainly won't be making 100k. The average pharmacist salary is 42k and in community it's 36k from stats from 2019.
Reply 3
Original post by throwawaypharm
Hi,
I've just received an unconditional for RGU and I'm still waiting to see if I get an offer from Strathclyde. I came on here to see if anyone else had been accepted, however, somehow fell down a rabbit hole and ended up reading forum after forum about how Pharmacy is a 'dying job' and how it isn't paid well - even though the average annual salary online is good.
Pharmacy has always been what I wanted to do but now, I'm worried that I am making the wrong choice. I don't want to do a 4 year degree just to find out that I can't get a job anywhere and I'll be, and I quote from another forum, depressed since it's such a bad job.
I've also applied to Pharmacology and Immunology (not received any offers) , the course really was just as a back up in case I didn't get into MPharm but now I'm wondering if I should properly consider it, despite having an unconditional for one of my top choices.
Does anyone else have these worries? Does anyone have any advice? Also, has anyone got offers from RGU, if I do accept, I'd love to know some people on the course.

Interesting user-name!
I would certainly read the 'stickies' in the comments, and there is a thread about robots and AI to read, and about Amazon registering "Amazon Pharmacy" in the UK, very quietly at the start of the whore corona-thing!

If I was in my mid to late teens, I would be looking at the future and where the jobs will be and what industries are going to appear or grow. Two thirds, that's about 65% of pharmacy graduates end up in retail community pharmacy. Now, as we have seen during the pandemic, bricks and mortar retail is going downhill fast. There is an announcement nearly every week of another well-knows company in trouble or going bankrupt. The latest is Jaegar Fashions.

So anyway looking at future jobs, pharmacy will likely become much more 'fulfilment centre' roles. e.g. working in a warehouse probably checking scripts before it is all passed on to a robot and a checking technician at the end. So, lots less roles for community pharmacies.
There are other posts of mine you can read about the demise of retail, and the High Street.
So looking for a job in the future, I would be looking at up and coming or expanding industries. Obviously computer, and the internet and coding, if you are lucky to be good enough to understand all that stuff and all the algorithms!
E-commerce and delivery. The energy industry solar, wind, and the demise of oil and petrol vehicles and new clean energy, and batteries for electric cars we all may be driving by 2040/45.
Those into banking and finance may wish to study cryptocurrency. I think as I write both crypto and the Dow Jones have both hit new all-time highs!
Science-wise I think gene therapy and biotech will start to play a bigger role in medicine development, and tailoring meds to specific genetics of people. But that's probably a couple of decades away.
So basically, what I'm saying is, pharmacy is a good course, but I'm not sure if you might find better courses to do with regards to future tech and science developments than pharmacy. so research, research research!
Original post by 0895
Sorry, Andy, but I disagree with almost everything you have said. If this was 1993, then yes, I would agree with you. This is the problem in 2020 in pharmacy, it is still being 'sold' to prospective students on outdated information. i'm not going to re-type everything, but you can check my history of posts that will refute most of what you say. I really wish it were all still true, but the only bit is at the end, you certainly won't be making 100k. The average pharmacist salary is 42k and in community it's 36k from stats from 2019.

I agree pharmacy is going downhill like the majority of other degrees. But honestly I don't think it's as bad as humanities and traditional STEM. Most graduates nowadays only get barely minimum wage jobs and the competition is like 1000 for 5 places. Oversaturation happens in every hot subject just look at how applications for computer science and data science exploded in the last few years, even though programming jobs never last long and almost no one stays in it after the age of 40.

I guess this leaves medicine as the final stable degree
Original post by 0895
So looking for a job in the future, I would be looking at up and coming or expanding industries. Obviously computer, and the internet and coding, if you are lucky to be good enough to understand all that stuff and all the algorithms!
E-commerce and delivery. The energy industry solar, wind, and the demise of oil and petrol vehicles and new clean energy, and batteries for electric cars we all may be driving by 2040/45.
Those into banking and finance may wish to study cryptocurrency. I think as I write both crypto and the Dow Jones have both hit new all-time highs!
Science-wise I think gene therapy and biotech will start to play a bigger role in medicine development, and tailoring meds to specific genetics of people. But that's probably a couple of decades away.
So basically, what I'm saying is, pharmacy is a good course, but I'm not sure if you might find better courses to do with regards to future tech and science developments than pharmacy. so research, research research!

I think people like us always think the scenery is better on the other hill!

I come from a pharmaceutical science background and went to computing. I can tell you biomed is way too oversubscribed. Just look at KCL, half of their courses are biomed, the job/applicant ratio is so bad most grads would be lucky to get an entry level DNA analyst role for 25k. To get a promotion you need a PhD and that's a hard pyramid to climb because the luck component is a lot more important than your endeavors (your supervisor, how successful your experiments went, how many papers you publish etc...)

Unfazed by the illusion, many STEM students like me transferred to CS (more specifically, data science). Again the industry can't grow forever and the inflation in application number outpaced the growth of the industry. Nowadays more and more DS job requires years of experience and the competition is quite bad and will get worse. As I said before, none of these jobs last long and the industry has a severe bias against mid-aged men.

Crypto is overhyped and a very niche field of CS, environmental science = no job simply because too many grads for the few roles in battery research.
Reply 6
I work for a multiple who thinks £18,500 is a good salary for full time.
Reply 7
Original post by 0895

maybe its just where I live but this thing of 'pharmacy is declining' is simply not true. the same thing was said to my cousin 5 years ago but he immediately got a job within the first week of searching and gets paid 40k per year. he's definitely never going to be on 6 figures a year but through this pandemic he has held a job and is even paid more now while others have lost there job. its definitely not as stable as it was however depending on where you live its relatively easy to get a job with a good salary and certainly not as bad as a lot of others.
Original post by hilmao
maybe its just where I live but this thing of 'pharmacy is declining' is simply not true. the same thing was said to my cousin 5 years ago but he immediately got a job within the first week of searching and gets paid 40k per year. he's definitely never going to be on 6 figures a year but through this pandemic he has held a job and is even paid more now while others have lost there job. its definitely not as stable as it was however depending on where you live its relatively easy to get a job with a good salary and certainly not as bad as a lot of others.

I think where the doom and gloom comes from is where pharmacy used to be and where it is now. Yes, comparatively speaking £40k is a respectable salary in today's day and age however, £40k is the same salary as it was 10 years ago as it was 20 years ago. Imagine you're a pharmacist in the early 2000's earning £40k, it would have carried you far further than it does today. Unfortunately, wages haven't moved in line with inflation and in some areas have gone down. Where will wages be in 10 years time? I wouldn't doubt it if community pharmacists are still earning on average £36k, in which case inflation will be even higher and even harder to justify a career as a pharmacist. Understandably, pharmacists with more years in the business are frustrated at the lack of financial progression.
(edited 3 years ago)
Read Pharmacy. Get replaced by a vending machine lol.
I am a hospital pharmacist and I would really encourage you to stick with it, especially as you're half way there now! With the attitude you have, I am sure you'll get a good job and there are lots of career development opportunities for pharmacists in all sectors. I've worked in retail pharmacy and for primary care groups (CCGs) as well. You can also get work in industry or research/academia, or do anything science related.As a pharmacist you will earn a reasonable salary - not as much as a doctor admittedly but you won't have the same level of responsibility/stress. The working hours are better too!There are more pharmacy graduates now so competition is tougher than it used to be for junior jobs but with the right work ethos and enthusiasm you'll be fine.I'd definitely advise you to try and get a summer placement in a hospital if you can.Good luck!
Jones I’ve heard this argument that Pharmacy isn’t worth it but couldn’t you argue that if your passion is in science then it is much more wise to do a pharmacy degree than a degree such as biology, Chemistry, Biomed etc. Many people who do those life science degrees find it incredibly difficult to find employment in a job they’re happy in after graduation. Whereas with pharmacy you a guaranteed a job after graduation. Also just because you have a pharmacy degree it does not mean you have to stay in Pharmacy forever you could apply to other scientific/ non scientific roles , and you can be locuming in between looking for jobs to keep you afloat.

Could any Pharmacy graduates or anyone else correct me if I am wrong ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Seyiojo
Jones I’ve heard this argument that Pharmacy isn’t worth it but couldn’t you argue that if your passion is in science then it is much more wise to do a pharmacy degree than a degree such as biology, Chemistry, Biomed etc. Many people who do those life science degrees find it incredibly difficult to find employment in a job they’re happy in after graduation. Whereas with pharmacy you a guaranteed a job after graduation. Also just because you have a pharmacy degree it does not mean you have to stay in Pharmacy forever you could apply to other scientific/ non scientific roles , and you can be locuming in between looking for jobs to keep you afloat.

Could any Pharmacy graduates or anyone else correct me if I am wrong ?

1. A pre-registration job (which only pays £18,500) is not guaranteed after graduation
2. What's the point of all the effort and debt just to become a poorly paid locum while looking for a new career? If you're someone who is still in 6th form, actually pick a degree in a career you want to pursue from day 1 rather than planning to change career..
3. It's true that Mpharm degree can open other doors for you (non-pharma based too) - This is ideal for people who are already studying Mpharm

Overall, if you're someone who is still in 6th form, don't pick Pharmacy on a whim because you will regret it for the rest of your life!
Original post by TheChosenWon
1. A pre-registration job (which only pays £18,500) is not guaranteed after graduation
2. What's the point of all the effort and debt just to become a poorly paid locum while looking for a new career? If you're someone who is still in 6th form, actually pick a degree in a career you want to pursue from day 1 rather than planning to change career..
3. It's true that Mpharm degree can open other doors for you (non-pharma based too) - This is ideal for people who are already studying Mpharm

Overall, if you're someone who is still in 6th form, don't pick Pharmacy on a whim because you will regret it for the rest of your life!

Are you a grad or someone currently studying ?
Original post by Seyiojo
Are you a grad or someone currently studying ?

Post grad who left pharmacy to do another career + alternate income streams.
Post grad who left pharmacy to do another career + alternate income streams.

What other careers have you done , if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by Seyiojo
What other careers have you done , if you don’t mind me asking?

I don't mind at all.

I went into IT as my main career - working in software development.
I don't mind at all.

I went into IT as my main career - working in software development.

Would you say your Mpharm has given you valuable skills in the role you are doing now that you may have not gotten from another degree. Also if you could go back what would you have done instead of Pharmacy?
Original post by Seyiojo
Would you say your Mpharm has given you valuable skills in the role you are doing now that you may have not gotten from another degree. Also if you could go back what would you have done instead of Pharmacy?

100% yes! The Mpharm degree can help you more than you know, if you know how to showcase it's true value to a potential employer.

I only recently joined TSR, but you can find very detailed responses of mine on certain Pharmacy threads about how the Mpharm degree aids you when searching for other careers.

For me personally if I could time travel back I would have done a a 3 year degree in Finance/Economics or IT. These generic math-oriented type degrees open up so many doors for you after graduation. Schools are dishonest when priming naïve students to a life in an extremely defined degree like Pharmacy, as they often spout misinformation about things like job prospects/salary/career satisfaction etc, although this may not be intentional, it's usually just that school career advisor's knowledge is usually severely outdated.
Pharmacy is the only graduate career in any of the healthcare sciences were you can earm £65,000-£75,000 in less than 2 years post-qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending