The Student Room Group

Disappointed: Dissertation mark?

Hi,

Recently, I completed my master's degree requirements. Really I worked very hard. There were four courses + dissertation. I got (70%, 70%, 68%, and 65%) in the four taught courses.

I really wrote a very wonderful dissertation. Three weeks ago, I received the feedbacks from two reviewers, the two feedbacks were very, very positive. Therefore, I was expecting to get 70% in the dissertation. Unfortunately, two days ago, I received the mark and it was only 62% !!!!!!!`

This was the worst mark I got during the program, and as I said, the dissertation was very wonderful and very carefully written.

I am not satisfied with this mark?
In your opinion, what can I do?

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
The first posted marks are all provisional marks. So if you are really confident with your work, you can contact the examine board (hopefully through your course administrator or personal tutor) to let them reconsider your work.

However, it's normally very unlikely to change your mark, so don't expect too much on that. A merit wouldn't really put you into a disadvantaged position in most circumstances when you pursuit jobs or higher degrees. Even if you can't change your mark in the end, it's still perfectly fine.
Original post by Adam_pir
Hi,

Recently, I completed my master's degree requirements. Really I worked very hard. There were four courses + dissertation. I got (70%, 70%, 68%, and 65%) in the four taught courses.

I really wrote a very wonderful dissertation. Three weeks ago, I received the feedbacks from two reviewers, the two feedbacks were very, very positive. Therefore, I was expecting to get 70% in the dissertation. Unfortunately, two days ago, I received the mark and it was only 62% !!!!!!!`

This was the worst mark I got during the program, and as I said, the dissertation was very wonderful and very carefully written.

Thank you

Well you can compare the feedback to the project brief/guidance/marking criteria. Unless all the markers overlooked something it’s unlikely your grade will change, you can’t debate academic judgement. And normally a dissertation is marked by 2 people so the chances of your work being under marked are quite low.

Without evidence that it was mismarked you’ll have to come to terms with this, it seems like you have earned a solid merit overall. Congrats.
Hi,

Thank you

It's unfortunate, but these things happen. Remember, while you may think your writing to be amazing, more experienced people than you judged it to be slightly less than that. As mnot said, unless you have evidence of procedural errors, you cannot question academic judgement.
Reply 4
Thank you very much all

Yes, there is a remark that all makes are provisional? But can they be changed?

Unfortunately, I have no evidence except for the positive feedback from dissertation reviewers. In addition to my certainty of the quality of the dissertation because this is my third master's degree and I have written several master's dissertations previously. I completed the first master with distinction, and the second master with distinction as well, and I was determined to have this master also with distinction.

This is the lowest grade I got during postgraduate, disappointed!
Thank you very much all

Unfortunately, I have no evidence except for the positive feedback from dissertation reviewers. In addition to my certainty of the quality of the dissertation because this is my third master's degree and I have written several master's dissertations previously. I completed the first master with distinction, and the second master with distinction as well, and I was determined to have this master also with distinction.

Marks unconfirmed by the examine board is subject to change. It's true that you can't normally challenge the academic judgement, but maybe you can challenge the result by arguing the bias from both markers, which could be the case if that's linked with multicultural context or political bias, or mitigating circumstances. This is likely to be justifiable through covid, though the tough part is most of this reason are declared and judged before the assessment.

Check out the appeal procedure in your university or department. They will ask you to fill a form to challenge the marks. You can then consider If you have can appeal the result. It's very unlikely that the results will be changed, but it's still OK to try to appeal. After all, you won't lose anything from it even if they reply your appeal won't be considered or your results won't be changed. I actually know successful remark cases in Humanity/Social Science, which is easier to claim bias than Science/Engineering works.
Thank you very much all

They are subject to change, but usually only to a certain extent (e.g. it's highly unlikely a final marker will bump a grade up 20+ marks, it's usually only small changes if any changes happen at all).

Doing previous masters degrees holds no bearing on your current performance unfortunately, and neither does your certainty. I could insist an essay is a distinction, but that doesn't change their academic judgement.
Hi,

Thank you

Unfortunately this is the way it goes, I was averaging 78% in the taught part of the masters then my dissertation supervisor screwed me, and i got 63, still averaging 73 with that mark, but the dissertation grade meant I got a merit, i was gutted and complained but didnt get very far, universities can do whatever they want.
Thank you very much all

My question is why would you do 3 Masters?
A forever student?
Your mark could change but it's not likely tbh, especially as it has been marked by two people.
Once a module is marked and moderated, only marks for the whole cohort can be moved up or down.
You should to go through your written feedback to check that it is accurate. UNLESS there was an oversight in the marking, or a mistake in the calculation, the mark will stand. If there is an error, you should let the module leader know ASAP otherwise you will have to launch an appeal once you have had your result letter.
One thing you could look at in your written feedback is the use of grade descriptors like "good", "very good", excellent", "satisfactory", "adequate"etc. These usually map to particular grade bandings, for example at my uni, "very good" maps to grades of 70-79 Your assignment brief or programme handbook should set this out clearly.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending