The Student Room Group

Student discipline

Hello everyone.

I really need everyone's help and advice.

I am a University undergraduate student. I am very stressed and concerned because 3 students from my University have made allegations against me about harassment/stalking. This is all to do with online communications and social media.

I have stated to the University I have not committed to anything associated with harassment/stalking but they do not appear to be working with me.
One of the discipline cases have been going on since March 2019. Another was made in March 2020 and the other was reported on July 2020. I was temporarily suspended and excluded from the University for about 7 months but I am now allowed back onto campus.
2 students reported their allegations against me to the Police but the Police took no further action against me. They realised it was not a criminal matter. This is something I was not surprised about at all.

I keep asking the University when they will progress with the cases through an investigating officer and through a panel but they keep saying that they cannot give out much information and can't give a time scale of when they will progress with the discipline cases. They say that they cannot answer due to "data protection" reasons.

I need help and advice. There must be something that the University is hiding. Otherwise they would have progressed with the discipline cases. I am extremely worried that these cases will go into next year and the University will stop me from graduating. I also was considering doing a masters at the University due to the Covid situation and the job market. I am scared that they will take my Undergraduate degree away from me and stop me from pursuing a masters at the University.

Please give me advice on this matter. I need everyone's help. Why can they not give any information as to when they will progress with the discipline cases?? It surely cannot be for "data protection" reasons.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Mo19273
Hello everyone.

I am a University undergraduate student. I am very stressed and concerned because 3 students from my University have made allegations against me about harassment/stalking. This is all to do with online communications and social media.

I have stated to the University I have not committed to anything associated with harassment/stalking but they do not appear to be working with me.
One of the discipline cases have been going on since March 2019. Another was made in March 2020 and the other was reported on July 2020. I was temporarily suspended and excluded from the University for about 7 months but I am now allowed back onto campus.
2 students reported their allegations against me to the Police but the Police took no further action against me. They realised it was not a criminal matter. This is something I was not surprised about at all.

I keep asking the University when they will progress with the cases through an investigating officer and through a panel but they keep saying that they cannot give out much information and can't give a time scale of when they will progress with the discipline cases. They say that they cannot answer due to "data protection" reasons.

I need help and advice. There must be something that the University is hiding. Otherwise they would have progressed with the discipline cases. I am extremely worried that these cases will go into next year and the University will stop me from graduating. I also was considering doing a masters at the University due to the Covid situation and the job market. I am scared that they will take my Undergraduate degree away from me and stop me from pursuing a masters at the University.

Please give me advice on this matter. I need everyone's help. Why can they not give any information as to when they will progress with the discipline cases?? It surely cannot be for "data protection" reasons.

Hi.
I suggest letting things be and focusing on your education since the school allowed you back to campus. Don't stress or frustrate yourself too much with that thought.
What’s the context here?
Do they have any reason to accuse you of these things, did you do something that doesn’t class as harassment but they have perceived it to be?

The fact the police NFA’d it is helpful but isn’t a gurantee the uni wont go further, as NFA’s by the police can often be due to there not being enough evidence for a courtroom as opposed to being innocent.

If it’s a blatantly false accusation then it should be fine but if there is behaviour that could be taken that way then it may be different. What’s the story?
Original post by Mo19273
Hello everyone.

What are the other students claiming that you've done? To have 3 separate disciplinary cases against you spaced so far apart suggests to me that they had clear grounds/evidence to believe that what they said was true, as well as for you to be suspended for 7 months.

The university may still be awaiting evidence or for individuals related to the case to be available to hear it.
Reply 4
Hey, Thank you so much for your response.

I want to focus on my education, but I don't want to work my absolute socks off for my degree and then be told, that we cannot let you graduate because of these reports and allegations.

The police took no further action. They were on my side suggesting that it is not a criminal matter, but the Universities rules are different. I am just concerned as to whether they are trying to investigate more than the police and then perhaps get me in front of a panel, so they can then make a decision.

I keep telling them that I want them to move things faster but they keep saying that they cannot give much information away due to "data protection" reasons. I just wonder whether there is a 3rd party involved or something. I keep saying that I have not committed to misconduct, but obviously they have to go through the student discipline process due to these allegations, which I personally know I have not committed to.
Original post by Mo19273
Hey, Thank you so much for your response.

I want to focus on my education, but I don't want to work my absolute socks off for my degree and then be told, that we cannot let you graduate because of these reports and allegations.

The police took no further action. They were on my side suggesting that it is not a criminal matter, but the Universities rules are different. I am just concerned as to whether they are trying to investigate more than the police and then perhaps get me in front of a panel, so they can then make a decision.

I keep telling them that I want them to move things faster but they keep saying that they cannot give much information away due to "data protection" reasons. I just wonder whether there is a 3rd party involved or something. I keep saying that I have not committed to misconduct, but obviously they have to go through the student discipline process due to these allegations, which I personally know I have not committed to.

Do you know the identities of the people who have made the allegations?
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What are the other students claiming that you've done? To have 3 separate disciplinary cases against you spaced so far apart suggests to me that they had clear grounds/evidence to believe that what they said was true, as well as for you to be suspended for 7 months.

The university may still be awaiting evidence or for individuals related to the case to be available to hear it.

They are claiming that I have harassed individual students online, when I kept telling them that this is not true.
I do not get understand how discipline cases can last sooo long. They never usually last this long. I just want to have my views looked at so that they can act impartially and then make a decision. They do not seem to be working with me at all and all they seem to be doing is saying that they cannot give much information out due to "data protection" reasons.
It does not make sense to me how a discipline case can drag on this long. Do you think the University is hiding something from me? It is such a shame because I feel like this University is a place where I belong to and I feel very proud and privileged to be at a excellent University but these reports have meant that this could last all the way up until Christmas and possibly until June next year. This is the last thing I would want.
Reply 7
Original post by GabiAbi84
Do you know the identities of the people who have made the allegations?

Yes I do know the identities of these individuals. However the University have stated that I cannot contact them indirectly or directly. Its soo frustrating and very stressful. They are 3 University students and also go to the same University as me.
I want to have my views looked at and I want the University to proceed with the discipline process so that they can make a decision and hopefully realise after looking at all the evidence, that no misconduct has occurred. But they just seem to not be giving any details of what is going on. They have had several months and in one case over a year to progress with the cases, but this does not appear to have happened and they keep saying that we "no internal investigation is taking place" and we cannot give any further information due to "data protection" reasons.
Original post by Mo19273
Yes I do know the identities of these individuals. However the University have stated that I cannot contact them indirectly or directly. Its soo frustrating and very stressful. They are 3 University students and also go to the same University as me.
I want to have my views looked at and I want the University to proceed with the discipline process so that they can make a decision and hopefully realise after looking at all the evidence, that no misconduct has occurred. But they just seem to not be giving any details of what is going on. They have had several months and in one case over a year to progress with the cases, but this does not appear to have happened and they keep saying that we "no internal investigation is taking place" and we cannot give any further information due to "data protection" reasons.

I wasn’t suggesting you contact them I was merely asking whether that would be why they were saying they couldn’t tell you sue to the data protection act.

Unfortunately you will need to follow as they say and it will progress in time. If you know you haven’t done what is being accused of you then they can’t take your degree away.
Focus on your studies and ensure you’re aware of university policies regarding the procedure.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
What’s the context here?
Do they have any reason to accuse you of these things, did you do something that doesn’t class as harassment but they have perceived it to be?

The fact the police NFA’d it is helpful but isn’t a gurantee the uni wont go further, as NFA’s by the police can often be due to there not being enough evidence for a courtroom as opposed to being innocent.

If it’s a blatantly false accusation then it should be fine but if there is behaviour that could be taken that way then it may be different. What’s the story?

The context is that one student made a harassment stalking report in March 2019, then another did in March 2020 and the other was reported on July 2020. They are all to do with harassment and stalking, apparently through social media and online communications (this is based on the information from the University and the Police).
These allegations and reports are of similar nature from what I know from the Police and the University.
I have not committed to any action of harassment and stalking but the University does not appear to be working with me and give me details as to why they cannot progress with the student discipline cases. Its very frustrating. I never would have thought i would be in this position in such an excellent, prestigious University which was my first choice when I originally applied to it to at college. They keep saying that the University is not proceeding with an internal student disciplinary investigation at this current time and they cannot to provide further detail at this present time due to "data protection reasons". This is what I just simply do not understand.
Original post by Mo19273
The context is that one student made a harassment stalking report in March 2019, then another did in March 2020 and the other was reported on July 2020. They are all to do with harassment and stalking, apparently through social media and online communications (this is based on the information from the University and the Police).
These allegations and reports are of similar nature from what I know from the Police and the University.
I have not committed to any action of harassment and stalking but the University does not appear to be working with me and give me details as to why they cannot progress with the student discipline cases. Its very frustrating. I never would have thought i would be in this position in such an excellent, prestigious University which was my first choice when I originally applied to it to at college. They keep saying that the University is not proceeding with an internal student disciplinary investigation at this current time and they cannot to provide further detail at this present time due to "data protection reasons". This is what I just simply do not understand.

You say they’re not proceeding with an internal investigation...surely that means they’re finished with it...no?
Reply 11
Original post by GabiAbi84
You say they’re not proceeding with an internal investigation...surely that means they’re finished with it...no?

Yes they are not proceeding with the case at this moment of time. As in the investigation is not progressing for some reason or another. The case isn't closed yet. They are not saying why they are not progressing with the case. Perhaps a 3rd party is involved. I just don't know because they won't say due to "data protection" reasons.
Original post by Mo19273
Yes they are not proceeding with the case at this moment of time. As in the investigation is not progressing for some reason or another. The case isn't closed yet. They are not saying why they are not progressing with the case. Perhaps a 3rd party is involved. I just don't know because they won't say due to "data protection" reasons.

Okay, well the university can't tell you about an investigation which is currently on hiatus, because nothing is happening to tell you about. Why do you think a third party is involved? Who do you honestly think that could be given your situation? If not police, then no other authorities etc. will be interested.

I think you just need to wait and let the university do what they need to do - you are either guilty of stalking/harassment or you aren't, so if you are innocent, you should have nothing to worry about. If you want to discuss it with someone, the best port of call would be your student union.
Have you done anything they can accuse you for? Whether they misinterpreted it or decided to spin it against you it gives the university reasons to give you a hard time. I see no reason why the university would pick on you with no proof, so that seems to suggest to me the school finds their 'evidence' convincing enough

Quick Reply

Latest