The Student Room Group

How power is presented in Macbeth

. Lady Macbeth implicitly encourages regicide when she tells Macbeth to 'look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it'. On one hand, this makes her seem more powerful, something unusual in a Jacobean woman which would have impressed the audience; the imperative commands of 'look' and 'be' portray her to be the more dominant one in the relationship and, by taking command, the more rational one. However, the juxtaposition between 'flower' and 'serpent' portray Lady Macbeth as multi-faceted, manipulative and deceptive, traits that are powerful for a women to pursue. Furthermore, the 'serpent' may also be a biblical allusion to the temptation of Eve and the Fall of Man, foreshadowing her downfall as a result of disobeying the divine natural order by implicitly suggesting the idea of regicide to Macbeth;.Furthermore, we can argue that Lady Macbeth is acting on behalf of the witches so, therefore, the devil is the driving force and persuasive element that causes Macbeth regicide.As Lady Macbeth is referred to as "fiend-like queen" fiend indicates that she is a messenger to the devil so perhaps the witches and Lady Macbeth are working together to user per the kind Shakespeare suggests there are consequences for doing so, and this can be seen in her weaker appearance in Act 5 which contrasts her seemingly powerful display here. Lady Macbeth can't sleep anymore, thanks to the 'damned spot' of blood on her hand. The smallness of a 'spot' suggests that Lady Macbeth is downplaying the severity of her actions of betraying the Chain of Being and God, and 'damn[ing]' the spot, not herself. This suggests that she is rejecting the responsibility for dishonourable actions, making her appear to be even more dishonourable. 'Damned' also shows, to a Jacobean audience, the consequences of going against the Chain of Being by committing regicide

This downfall of Lady Macbeth is even mimicked in Macbeth as he is a parallel character to Lady Macbeth .This because at the start of the play Macbeth uses his power for the force of good Shakespeare employs Macbeth as a construct to exemplify the of a dedicated Scottish soldier.He "unseamed" Macdonald "from the nave to chaps", highlighting his combative nature. The violent imagery depicts Macbeth's violent attribute shows his bloodlust . The fact that the word "smoked with bloody execution "shows his fury. After murdering MacDonald, he "he fixed his head upon battlements".The "head becomes a motif for Macbeth's gradual moral decline as the play progresses.At the start of the play he sacrifices his own safety to excute a traitor ;by the end however,he has become the "usurper's cursed head".This is structured at the end to give a cyclical structure to Macbeth's character-symbolising Macbeth's hamartia as even the most heroic figures can become victims of fate and their lethal ambition. Shakespeare may have created a cautionary tale, deterring any future regicide attempts against king James as they too would be overtaken by the inevitable fate that would overwhelm them.
This is something similar to what I wrote in my mock exam but what overall grade would this get
what exam board did you do because this was my question too lol.
Original post by chryssucks
what exam board did you do because this was my question too lol.

AQA
is the essay good or bad
Original post by foreverrocking
is the essay good or bad

It's great!
Really impressed.
. Lady Macbeth implicitly encourages regicide when she tells Macbeth to 'look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it'. On one hand, this makes her seem more powerful, something unusual in a Jacobean woman which would have impressed the audience; the imperative commands of 'look' and 'be' portray her to be the more dominant one in the relationship and, by taking command, the more rational one. However, the juxtaposition between 'flower' and 'serpent' portray Lady Macbeth as multi-faceted, manipulative and deceptive, traits that are powerful for a women to pursue. Furthermore, the 'serpent' may also be a biblical allusion to the temptation of Eve and the Fall of Man, foreshadowing her downfall as a result of disobeying the divine natural order by implicitly suggesting the idea of regicide to Macbeth;.Furthermore, we can argue that Lady Macbeth is acting on behalf of the witches so, therefore, the devil is the driving force and persuasive element that causes Macbeth regicide.As Lady Macbeth is referred to as "fiend-like queen" fiend indicates that she is a messenger to the devil so perhaps the witches and Lady Macbeth are working together to user per the kind Shakespeare suggests there are consequences for doing so, and this can be seen in her weaker appearance in Act 5 which contrasts her seemingly powerful display here. Lady Macbeth can't sleep anymore, thanks to the 'damned spot' of blood on her hand. The smallness of a 'spot' suggests that Lady Macbeth is downplaying the severity of her actions of betraying the Chain of Being and God, and 'damn[ing]' the spot, not herself. This suggests that she is rejecting the responsibility for dishonourable actions, making her appear to be even more dishonourable. 'Damned' also shows, to a Jacobean audience, the consequences of going against the Chain of Being by committing regicide

This downfall of Lady Macbeth is even mimicked in Macbeth as he is a parallel character to Lady Macbeth .This because at the start of the play Macbeth uses his power for the force of good Shakespeare employs Macbeth as a construct to exemplify the of a dedicated Scottish soldier.He "unseamed" Macdonald "from the nave to chaps", highlighting his combative nature. The violent imagery depicts Macbeth's violent attribute shows his bloodlust . The fact that the word "smoked with bloody execution "shows his fury. After murdering MacDonald, he "he fixed his head upon battlements".The "head becomes a motif for Macbeth's gradual moral decline as the play progresses.At the start of the play he sacrifices his own safety to excute a traitor ;by the end however,he has become the "usurper's cursed head".This is structured at the end to give a cyclical structure to Macbeth's character-symbolising Macbeth's hamartia as even the most heroic figures can become victims of fate and their lethal ambition. Shakespeare may have created a cautionary tale, deterring any future regicide attempts against king James as they too would be overtaken by the inevitable fate that would overwhelm them.
This is something similar to what I wrote in my mock exam but what overall grade would this get

As a grade 8 achiever . This is much better than what I had written so by that logic. Grade 9
Original post by tinygirl96
Really impressed.

So am I!
Original post by SchmuckOff
As a grade 8 achiever . This is much better than what I had written so by that logic. Grade 9

I've marked it via private message and I got a 9 in my English Literature GCSE two years ago (I did it in Year 10-a year early). I marked it as a grade 9, giving it 28 marks out of 30
Reply 9
Hey, I remember helping you out with English maybe two months ago and it looks like you've improved :smile:. I'd say this is roughly grade 8?
(I think I can see some of my analysis from one of the essays I posted in your answer lol, but you also came up with different ways to use it to apply to that situation, which is good because that's learning to think on the spot, or thinking critically, I guess. Well done, particularly with linking it back to AO3.)
Original post by Pichi
Hey, I remember helping you out with English maybe two months ago and it looks like you've improved :smile:. I'd say this is roughly grade 8?
(I think I can see some of my analysis from one of the essays I posted in your answer lol, but you also came up with different ways to use it to apply to that situation, which is good because that's learning to think on the spot, or thinking critically, I guess. Well done.)

Thank you!! Yes, I did use the idea that you posted to use in my essay I thought it was quite helpful. The main thing I am worried about is that in my mocks I panicked majorly,so the quality of my phrasing wasn't great and made some spelling errors.
Reply 11
Thank you!! Yes, I did use the idea that you posted to use in my essay I thought it was quite helpful. The main thing I am worried about is that in my mocks I panicked majorly,so the quality of my phrasing wasn't great and made some spelling errors.

Don't worry too much about that. Unless you made loads of spelling errors then I don't think your AO4 will be affected. As for quality of phrasing, as long as you were able to get your point across (even if it is a bit convoluted) then hopefully you'll be okay. I remember having to correct and rephrase a chunk of that essay I shared with you because even my teacher was confused, but he still gave it a 9. I think yours could even be a 9, but I can't be an accurate judge of that. Just keep practising what you've done in this mock- considering multiple interpretations, using versatile quotes, linking everything back to AO3 and using a mix of memorised and on-the-spot analysis- and I think you'll do really well in your GCSEs. Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pichi
Don't worry too much about that. Unless you made loads of spelling errors then I don't think your AO4 will be affected. As for quality of phrasing, as long as you were able to get your point across (even if it is a bit convoluted) then hopefully you'll be okay. I remember having to correct and rephrase a chunk of that essay I shared with you because even my teacher was confused, but he still gave it a 9. I think yours could even be a 9, but I can't be an accurate judge of that. Just keep practising what you've done in this mock- considering multiple interpretations, using versatile quotes, linking everything back to AO3 and using a mix of memorised and on-the-spot analysis- and I think you'll do really well in your GCSEs. Good luck!

I'm no expert either by any means, but I completely agree with this!!!
Reply 13
Original post by Purplemonkeys
I'm no expert either by any means, but I completely agree with this!!!

Aha, thanks. I looked at your bio a few minutes ago and saw that you want to become an English teacher and, considering that you went great lengths to mark it and send them personal feedback, it seems that you'll be a great teacher. :smile: I've also wanted to be an English teacher for the longest time as well, though recently I've been having a few existential crises about it, but seeing OP's improvements on this thread has honestly made me so happy and given me hope that I can be a little helpful after all. I don't know if you're still checking this thread OP, but you've indirectly made me really happy and feel more secure in my choices now (and this has also given me the motivation to get back to doing my English homework instead of scrolling on TSR :redface:).
Original post by Pichi
Aha, thanks. I looked at your bio a few minutes ago and saw that you want to become an English teacher and, considering that you went great lengths to mark it and send them personal feedback, it seems that you'll be a great teacher. :smile: I've also wanted to be an English teacher for the longest time as well, though recently I've been having a few existential crises about it, but seeing OP's improvements on this thread has honestly made me so happy and given me hope that I can be a little helpful after all. I don't know if you're still checking this thread OP, but you've indirectly made me really happy and feel more secure in my choices now (and this has also given me the motivation to get back to doing my English homework instead of scrolling on TSR :redface:).

No worries! I should be to one thanking you.I am thankful to everyone on TSR for giving feedback and allowing me to improve in English which I struggle the most with. This website has given me the confidence to try hard in English even if its not my best subject.I still remember In year 10 I had no clue where to start I was basically getting avg grades(4-6) but only recently I have learnt what to include in my essays to make it good . Good luck to you both and you will both definitely achieve your aspirations of becoming a teacher
Original post by Pichi

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending